Unable to disconnect iPod nano 4

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

mgruson

Unable to disconnect iPod nano 4

Post by mgruson »

I keep having the following upsetting symptoms :

1) I am under vista, ipod nano 4
2) I sync my music with mm, itunes has not been launched and has previously been tagged "manual music handling"
3) I ask to disconnect my iPod
4) I get a "pb during disconnection of iPod ; An other program seems to be using it ; try again later"
5) After a while to retry 3) unsuccessfully, I close mm
6) I get an "access violation at address 08D6464B in module d_ipod.dll. read of address 000000004" ; the title of the popup box is the name of the song being paused by the mm player (and not concerned by the ipod sync by the way)
7) I have a look on the iPod, that says "0 songs" (useful like that !)
8) I reconnect it, and start iTunes ; it says "unformatted iPod, please restore"

The problem happens more or less once out of two syncs, basically when the sync is incremental.... ?
Can anybody help, I'm getting crazy about mm because of this

Rgds
rovingcowboy

Re: Unable to disconnect iPod nano 4

Post by rovingcowboy »

there is need of quicktime and itunes for proper playback of some files only apple wanted to play,

and there is a iphone dll file that might be needing renamed,.

look on the wiki site of mediamonkeys or look for any of nohitter151's posts and use the link's in his signature to find the how to lesson he did to use the ipod's with media monkey he did a great lesson. :lol:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
mgruson

Post by mgruson »

Hello,

Thx for this answer ; few complements

- I did search and browsed through the forum and wiki, no huge discovery on this. That may be an overlooking on my side, but unfortunately nothing I found is related to the MM disconnect bug.
- iTunes and QT are installed on the computer ; just not automatically launched with MM
- I did try changing the iphone.dll. No success there...
- This bug didn't occur with a previous version on ipod nano, that I synced a number of times

So any more specific help (or link) on this particular bug would greatly help ! :-?
Regards,

Manuel
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I don't think for nano you have to "safely remove". Just disconnect the device from USB. That's how it is for my iPhone, anyway.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mgruson

Post by mgruson »

Wahoo ! It seems to solve it !
Weird that MM is providing a disconnect item in the right click menu since it's more crashing stuff than other benefits !
Thx for your support !
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

I'm having the same trouble with my nano 4g. Every now and then it works as it's supposed to, but then it will suddenly refuse to eject, and start bringing up this access violation error (even at the end of trying to rebuild the database).

I'm using XP still, not vista, and I usually have no other apps open (no itunes), and even after a fresh restart the same thing will happen until -usually- I have to reset with iTunes.

And yes, you have to safely eject your ipod if you've enabled it to be accessed as a storage device. If you haven't enabled that option, then this probably won't be an issue.
Z

Post by Z »

I have been having the exact same problem and I discovered that it seems to be triggered by the presence of video (m4v) files on my iPod.

As long as there's an m4v file on my iPod, the access violation error shows up and I can't disconnect my iPod without my Music, Video and Podcast folders all showing 0 files.

The only solution I've been able to find so far is to manually copy all my m4v files out of their respective folders into the "Notes" folder, then rebuild the database with only mp3 files.

The problem with this is that I always have to then copy my video files out of the Notes folder into iTunes to get my video files back into the iPod, which is really tedious.

Is there some way that the compatibility issues with m4v can be solved? I don't need MediaMonkey to play m4v files. Just stop having access violations whenever I have an m4v file on my iPod.
foggy

Post by foggy »

Having the same problem - moving the m4v file seemed to fix it, though. Thanks for the workaround but it would be better if it were fixed.