McAfee Site Advisor warning -- False Positive

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

pkw115

McAfee Site Advisor warning -- False Positive

Post by pkw115 »

I no longer can view the forum at work as of yesterday after being able to do so for years as McAfee Site Advisor has now tagged the site "red" as unsafe. This is a new development as it worked fine on Thursday with the site tagged as "green". I would think that Ventis should address this with McAfee as it gives MM a black eye and makes it invisible to anyone using McAfee Site Advisor. . . .
rovingcowboy

Re: McAfee Site Advisor Blocks MM Site and Forum as "Unsafe"

Post by rovingcowboy »

web bot searching for safe sites by looking for bad words finaly found some bad words on this forum.
and sent word to mcafee safe site adviser.

this is just what i was saying was going to happen by not keeping it clean here.

thanks for the confirm it has already happened but i'm sorry it did. :(
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
pkw115

Post by pkw115 »

It may have found bad words, but it also appears to believe that the MM site links to other sites that have malware or that the MM site itself contains malware. . .
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

pkw115 wrote:It may have found bad words, but it also appears to believe that the MM site links to other sites that have malware or that the MM site itself contains malware. . .
thats cause it more likely checked the site when there was a spammer post shown that the mods did not get rid of fast enough. the spammers post links to bad sites. :(
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

McAfee isn't a Web Nanny company, it wasn't checking for language, RC. It was checking for malware, phishing, and other such nasties. Not the first "safe" site I know of to get tagged by such software/services. The spam may be the cause, may not. Could be a link to a hosting service a scripter is using (or did use), as I know 110mb was blacklisted by Microsoft and such a few years ago because people were using it to phish for Messenger login details.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the feedback. I've deleted the link to uptodown. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.

-Rusty
pkw115

Post by pkw115 »

Thanks Rusty, I'll give it a try at work tomorrow and will report back if it is still red.
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

Still red. There are other links listed.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/mediam ... 0&pip=true
pkw115

Post by pkw115 »

Rusty, Pushpull is right, still red for me also. McAfee shows MM as red becasue of links to Uptodown.com; Softsea.com; Download2you.com and
1st-download.com, therefor MM is still invisible to McAfee Site Advisor users. . .
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I haven't found any references to any of those sites, other than in this thread. It may be a case of links to those red listed sites appeared in Spam postings which have since been deleted. That, coupled with the possible fact that McAfee doesn't contain anything close to "live" results, and as such, they may not re-check this site for another month or something. Unless there is a way for someone from the MediaMonkey team to request a more timely re-scan.
pkw115

Post by pkw115 »

Yes it seems that it's the supposed links that are the problem. All 97 downloads from the MM site they tested were green. . . There does appear to be a way for the site owner to leave a comment on the McAfee report page, but no obvious way to request a re-scan, at least on the report page I saw which was similar if not identical to the one pushpull linked to. I suspect Ventis will have to get McAfee to change its rating. . .
jiri

Post by jiri »

All the links in red were removed, so hopefully they'll change the rating asap.

Jiri

Post by Guest »

In order to have McAfee re-test quickly, you should contact their support team.

They've got a link here:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/webmasters/index.html
pkw115

Post by pkw115 »

Still red through Friday. . .
Just JP

Post by Just JP »

Green this morning. Yeah!! :D

Jim