No aac/mp4 support with final MM4 on W7 [#8772]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Overlord

No aac/mp4 support with final MM4 on W7 [#8772]

Post by Overlord »

After upgrading from Beta MM4 to final MM4 a I can no longer play aac/mp4 files even though it is supposedly supported on Windows 7 through that Media Foundation input plugin.
Overlord

Re: No aac/mp4 support with final MM4 on W7

Post by Overlord »

I fixed the problem by copying over an older in_mfaudio.dll from build 1445 that did not have the bug.
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

Same issue here. I upgraded to MM4 (Lifetime License) a few days ago and now MediaMonkey tells me to install Quicktime to play AAC files. Windows 7 has built-in support for AAC and all other media players on my system including WMP play such files just fine; MM3 also played my AAC files.

On the website (http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/) support for AAC (M4A) is advertised as a built-in feature of MM4, there's no mention that additional software (let alone the purchase of a codec pack) is required.

I don't have that older in_mfaudio.dll, so when can we expect a bugfix?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

M4A playback is supported for free when QuickTime is installed: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=99
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

Lowlander wrote:M4A playback is supported for free when QuickTime is installed: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=99
That article refers to MediaMonkey 3 and lower.

From the description of MediaMonkey 4: "Supports MP3, AAC (M4A), OGG, WMA, FLAC, MPC, WAV, CDA, AVI, MP4, OGV, MPEG, WMV, M3U, PLS, etc."
From the description of MediaMonkey Codec Pack 2.0.0.14: "MediaMonkey 4 can play most audio/video formats using codecs already installed on your system. If you don't have the relevant codecs installed, this plugin adds support for..."

1) The AAC (M4A) codec is installed on my system (Windows 7) by default.
2) AAC files played fine on my system in MediaMonkey 3 without Quicktime (edit: AAC playback on Windows 7 without Quicktime or plugins was implemented in MM3 Build 1301: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5704).
3) AAC files played fine on my system in MediaMonkey 4 Beta without Quicktime.
4) Contrary to the above descriptions AAC files no longer play on my system in MediaMonkey 4 Final.

Not even iTunes requires Quicktime any more, so why do I have to re-install it for MediaMonkey?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

khelsing

Post by khelsing »

MiPi wrote:Thanks, reproduced, tracked as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8772
Many thanks, very much appreciated!
see-beyond-me

Post by see-beyond-me »

MiPi wrote:Thanks, reproduced, tracked as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8772
I still can't play mp4 videos, actually when I play one I hear the sound but there are no images, already the thumbnail when importing the mp4 clip shows no image. This is for 4.0.2.1462. Anyone that has an idea what might have gone wrong with my installation ? (I have latest quick time installed, if that should be of importance).
I also can play those mp4 files using vlc with no problem....

thx
MD

environment is core i7/64-bit win7 (all ms patches installed)
bjb406

Re: No aac/mp4 support with final MM4 on W7 [#8772]

Post by bjb406 »

I have had this same problem since for a long time and haven't been able to fix it, and its really irritating having to find the file and open it in a different player whenever the file type of a video is mp4. It will play the audio but not the video for mp4 files. I have quicktime installed, and the files will play on any of like 4 other players on my computer, but I get no video in mediamonkey. Anyone know whats going on? do I just have the wrong input plugin or something?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What version of Windows and MediaMonkey and do you have the MediaMonkey Codec Pack or QuickTime installed?
nvs

Post by nvs »

Hello,

I am running Win 7/x64 with MediaMonkey 4.0.6.1501 and can not play AAC audio files (files with extension aac).
According to information in this thread it should be possible to play AAC just with MM (a related bug was supposed to be fixed in build 1460)

But I still get a box saying, that I have to install QucikTime, which I don't want.

Can someone please provide clear information, whether above version of MM4 does support playback of AAC files or not and what files are needed?
Thank you for any help.

Additional information: Windows Media Player also cannot play AAC files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

nvs

Post by nvs »

Thank you LowLander.
As far as I understand the referenced MS artice (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx), AAC support is provided natively with Windows 7 through Msmpeg2adec.dll.

I verified, that this DLL is available on my system.
So it seems that MM is not able to use it!? Is there a way to track, what MM is doing here?

I am not sure, if this is related: When I start MM, it sometimes happen, that Windows ACL asked for the Administrator password. It seems that this typically occurs the first time after a system restart.

Post by MiPi »

nvs: please generate debug log from aac playback attempt, it should show us, what is going on.
e2140

Post by e2140 »

Sorry to revive such an old thread but it appears this bug still exists when a "portable" install is performed from the MM installer. This is with a clean install of MediaMonkey Gold v4.1.6.1736 in Windows 7 64bit. I discovered this bug when I upgraded my DigitallImported.fm account from free to premium. All the .pls streams are now high quality AAC but will not play in MediaMonkey. VLC and Windows Media Player have no trouble handling the AAC streams.

DigitallyImported also offers 320kbps MP3 streams which DO work with MediaMonkey but they don't stream well over my wireless connection. I installed the optional trial version of "MediaMonkey Codec Pack 2.1.2.105" as it includes AAC input plugins but that did not help.