4.0.5 CD Rip => Crash & PC Reboot!

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

simonbrads

4.0.5 CD Rip => Crash & PC Reboot!

Post by simonbrads »

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been reported. I did a search, but didn't spot anything. It's such a major thing that I'd expect anyone to notice it straight away -- unless it's just me!

Quite recently, I ripped my entire CD collection using MM 4.0.3.1476. I didn't have a single problem (as long as I avoided the AccurateRip check ;)).

The other day, I upgraded to 4.0.5 (the released version), and, this morning, I tried to rip my first new CD. As soon as I pressed OK on the rip dialog, my PC shut down and rebooted! I tried again, hoping it was a one-off, but no -- same again. So, I reverted to 4.0.3 -- and now it's ripping just fine.

I'm not too keen on collecting a debug log, because my PC is shutting down "unsafely", but, if this is not already known and a debug log would help, I could try.

Cheers,
Simon
duck42

MM 4.0.5.1496 Vista 64 bit: CD-Ripp Bluescreen

Post by duck42 »

After long time I have 2 issues with this new release.

When I start ripping a CD I can enter the ripping dialog. After pressing OK I become immediately a blue-screen from windows. Selected output formats were flac and mp3.
The other problem is regarding listening of life streams. When there is running down-loader tool like Jdownloader with reconnect the stream hangs in a loop. If I quit MM the MM process is still running and needs to be stopping manually. This only for information.

For my first problem, what is your recommendation? Shall I go back to the previous version and wait for an update? Let me know I you need further informations.

System: Vista 64Bit with 8GB
MM 4.0.5.1496

Best regards,
Duck42
simonbrads

Re: MM 4.0.5.1496 Vista 64 bit: CD-Ripp Bluescreen

Post by simonbrads »

Issue 1 sounds like the issue I reported a little while ago.
Lowlander

Re: 4.0.5 CD Rip => Crash & PC Reboot!

Post by Lowlander »

A debug log can still be collected as long as you set it to log to file.
simonbrads

Post by simonbrads »

Yeah. I meant I don't fancy the idea of intentionally crashing my PC. :)
duck42

Post by duck42 »

I try to become a debug log. But this windows blue screen crash seems to be so deep that there is no log available. I test it two times with the debug version. and twice times no log file in the directory "c:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\EurekaLog\". But a windows mini-dump is available.

But after installing the debug version mediamonkey became more unstable. I had two crashes. First when starting and the program starts to check the music database and once more when I try to close the tabs while the program is checking the directory locations. For this I have a debug log and send it with the reporting tool.

Edit: I made a log of the windows crash and will upload it. let me know where to post the link (because of personal data)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Use DBGView as per debug instructions to create log: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
duck42

Post by duck42 »

Thanks for your response. I had seen it in the morning and made a ticked with the log file. They gave me already a response. I will update here as soon there is a solution.
Thanks again and best regards,
Duck42
duck42

Post by duck42 »

A short update.
The problem isn't solved up to now but for me there is an interim solution. The crash on my system happen by ripping with "Secure read". The other modes are working. I am still in contact with the support and look forward for a solution.
Happy Weekend
simonbrads

Post by simonbrads »

To confirm, I also had "Secure read" checked. My solution was to revert to 4.0.3. :P
duck42

Post by duck42 »

An update and work around on this topic. Hope it will work for you too.

Since 4.0.5 the performance was improved on x64 machines by enhancing the address space to 4 GB but this cause for some of us in ripping problems and system crashes (blue screens). The reason is a low level problem between x64 systems and device drivers what cannot be fixed from MM. The problem only happens by ripping in „Secure read". There are three possible work arounds to solve or handle this problem:

1) Check, if there is an update available for your CD/DVD/BR device driver and firmware. Check if the problem is solved with the update. If not, you need to look for the next two work arounds.

2) The problem happens by ripping with "Secure read". The two other options "Standard read" and "Jitter corrected read" do not cause this problem. Use this instead of "Secure read". If you need "Secure read" then the next and last work around is maybe a solution for you.

3) This solution will restrict the enhanced address space back to <2GB. For doing so you need a tool called "CFF Explorer" to modify the file header parameter for "MediaMonkey.exe" and "MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe". You maybe want to make a backup of these two files before you try to do the next steps. You can find the link of the tool and screenshots at the end of this post. Looks more complicated as it is in real.

3a) Install the program and start it as administrator.
3b) Open "MediaMonkey.exe" from its program directory.
3c) Choose in the left "File Header" (the right window will be filled then)
3d) Click in the right at line "Characteristics" at "Click here". Then the characteristics window will open.
3e) Look on line "App can handle > 2 GB address space", disable the check box and click after this the "ok" button
3f) Click in the main window the save button for saving the file and accept overwriting original file "MediaMonkey.exe"
3g) Repeat Step 3b) to 3f) for file "MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe".
3h) Close "CFF Explorer" and start MediaMonkey

After this, MediaMonkey will work for ripping mode "Secure read". Keep in mind that you need to do part 3 for each update of MediaMonkey as long as the low level problem between your x64 system and device drivers isn't solved by Microsoft and / or your device manufacturer - or do not use rip mode "Secure read".

At the end I like to thank Ludek Stoklasa, who figure out the problem and gave me the tips for this work around.

Links:
CFF Explorer: http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php
CFF Explorer Screenshots: http://www.ls-uk.info/forum/index.php?topic=54930.0
MM Bug report ticket http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... etid=17676
MM KB article, see Item 5: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=43