MM4 not adding tracks in correct order

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

FEB

MM4 not adding tracks in correct order

Post by FEB »

When ripping, or downloading an album, MM4.06.151 doesn't add them to the library in the correct order. There seems to be no logic to the way it DOES add them - it's not alphabetical, or by created date. This is a problem because, even when correctly tagged, the album will then play in the incorrect order when I r/click a track and select 'play album'. I manually have to move them around in the now playing pane in order for them to be in the correct sequence. I don't remember this occurring in MM3.

Am I doing something wrong?
Lowlander

Re: MM4 not adding tracks in correct order

Post by Lowlander »

What is your sort order? If you sort on Album or Track# the order should be correct (note that for Album sort the Album Artist needs to be the same for all tracks on the Album and Disc# needs to be correct).
FEB

Post by FEB »

Lowlander wrote:What is your sort order? If you sort on Album or Track# the order should be correct (note that for Album sort the Album Artist needs to be the same for all tracks on the Album and Disc# needs to be correct).
Thanks for replying. Sort order doesn't seem to matter. If I sort them in numerical order, then right click one of them to play the album, they go in incorrect order to the playlist. A workaround, though, is to arrange them in track order first, then select all, and then add to playlist. This is rather long-winded, though. I'd much rather do my normal method of r/clicking and 'play album'.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you selecting them in MediaMonkey or in Windows Explorer to play?
FEB

Post by FEB »

Lowlander wrote:Are you selecting them in MediaMonkey or in Windows Explorer to play?

In MM.

So, to run through it:

I add an album by going File/Add-Rescan tracks to the library and point it to a windows folder containing the files. They're either ripped or downloaded, but are sufficiently tagged at that point as to understand the running order.
Prior to MM4, the tracks would show up in the correct order when added to the library. Then, r/clicking any of these songs in the library and choosing Play Album/Play Album Next would put them in the correct order on the Now Playing list. This no longer happens. The last album I added had a running order of 7,5,4,3,6,1,9,2,8. The one before that, 7,3,4,11,9,5,10,1,2,6. They're not added alphabetically or by time order.
FEB

Post by FEB »

Solved! I was downloading the tracks to a NAS and then inputting them into the library. For some reason THAT was what was causing the tracks to go out of order. If I moved that exact same folder to my PCs hard drive and adding from there, the tracks appear in the correct order. Why a NAS confuses things, I don't know.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That shouldn't matter.
FEB

Post by FEB »

Lowlander wrote:That shouldn't matter.
Shouldn't matter, but it does. I've now tried it three times with three different albums. I inserted the tracks from the NAS, MM jumbles the running order up. I deleted them from MM and copied the folder to the HDD and re-inserted: they all showed in the correct running order.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do they display in the correct order in the Filelisting?
FEB

Post by FEB »

Lowlander wrote:Do they display in the correct order in the Filelisting?
In Windows Explorer, they appear correctly whether on the NAS or on the HDD.
In MM, they are in the correct order if loaded from the HDD, but not if they're loaded from the NAS.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Unfortunately that is a vague answer.

Which node in MediaMonkey (in Media Tree) do you see the files on the NAS? What column did you sort on in the Filelisting when viewing these files. Do the NAS files still sort incorrectly in the Filelisting when sorted on Album (or Track#)? Can you attach a screenshot showing the incorrect sort order in the Filelisting (this is not the Now Playing after starting to play the files)?

Naming conventions: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... Tracks/4.0
Upload screenshots: http://imageshack.us
FEB

Post by FEB »

Lowlander wrote:Unfortunately that is a vague answer.

Which node in MediaMonkey (in Media Tree) do you see the files on the NAS? What column did you sort on in the Filelisting when viewing these files. Do the NAS files still sort incorrectly in the Filelisting when sorted on Album (or Track#)? Can you attach a screenshot showing the incorrect sort order in the Filelisting (this is not the Now Playing after starting to play the files)?
I've attached a screenshot, as requested. As you can see, the songs are listed in the correct order in the main pane simply because I order by Album. If I were to order by 'Added', the results would be different. However, if you look at the left pane, the Now Playing pane, you'll see that the songs are in an incorrect order. (Track one of the album is 'Caught in a Dream', but that is track 4 in the Now Playing' pane.)
I promise you that I don't have Randomize selected in the Now Playing pane.
I can also promise that, if I were to load these files into the MM database from my internal HDD, as opposed to my NAS, these songs would appear in the correct order in the Now Playing pane.
Incidentally, this has a knock-on effect in that, when I sync up to my iPod, the tracks appear in the wrong order there, too, but not if I loaded them into the MM db from my internal HDD.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And how exactly did you add from the Filelisting to the Now Playing? Also were they added from the same node as the screenshot?
FEB

Post by FEB »

Lowlander wrote:And how exactly did you add from the Filelisting to the Now Playing? Also were they added from the same node as the screenshot?
By right-clicking one of the files and choosing Play Album/Play Album now, and yes they were added about a second before I did that screenshot.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

FEB wrote:By right-clicking one of the files and choosing Play Album/Play Album now
This is not a feature native to MediaMonkey. You can only right click and select Play Now which would add all files in the list to the Now Playing if play selected + subsequent is set.