Lack of any "cleanup" process. Slow Sync remedy inside!

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

nauip

Lack of any "cleanup" process. Slow Sync remedy inside!

Post by nauip »

Mediamonkey doesn't handle crashes worth a flip. I fully admit this mess started by me adding a unstable jailbreak tweak. Said tweak (Forecast, if you're curious) made my phone reboot sporadically. I finally figured out what was going on and removed the tweak. One of these random reboots happened while MM (current Beta) was syncing. After that the only way to get MM to sync properly was to use another tool to delete the MM folder on the phone, delete all music (just to be safe) and start over. Before "Nuking it from Orbit (it's the only way to be sure)" MM would attempt to sync, get to some point early in the sync, and then crash. The error was something about Thread Creation and not enough space and/or memory. I didn't keep track because I knew what the problem was and the probable fix.

Perhaps MM could keep track of whether the last sync ended successfully, if not recommend the user run a check of the index or database or whatever MM uses to keep up with what is on the phone. Then clean up the mess the user likely created by pulling the plug early on the sync or rebooting the device or whatever went wrong.
Last edited by nauip on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Lack of any "cleanup" process

Post by Lowlander »

You should capture the Thread Creation error in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
nauip

Re: Lack of any "cleanup" process

Post by nauip »

Perhaps I should, but I think I'm not going to go out of my way to replicate the problem at this point.
nauip

Re: Lack of any "cleanup" process.

Post by nauip »

Power Outage this time. Syncing interrupted when my PC powered off due to the power going out. Attempted to sync again when power returned. 1.5 hours later MM claimed to have only synced ~ 100 songs.

I have done this process a few times and nothing interesting has happened with my phone. That said, your mileage may vary, proceed at your own risk, not all results are typical. If you break your phone it's not my or MediaMonkey's fault.
That said, it's worked perfectly for me.

This fix that worked for me was:
1: Remove all media synced to the device via MM in the iPhone Auto-Sync tab and Sync.
- MediaMonkey will attempt (unsuccessfully) to remove your music from your device. When you notice post-removing you have not recovered the appropriate space acquire a copy of iTools or some other application capable of manipulating the iPhone's filesystem. Whatever you're familiar with will work.
2: Using the file browser delete the MediaMonkey folder. I suspect this is a staging area and if MM had a cleanup process it probably would be gone.
3: Under iTunes_Control\Music there may be some music that also hasn't been cleaned up. It may or may not be properly recognized by the ipod music app on your phone, but, since it's music (.mp3s) you can safely delete it. They're probably just wasting space.

I believe killing the Artwork folder broke the iTunes app on my phone. Don't do that.

You should be able to sync normally now. Hope this helps someone.
Last edited by nauip on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nauip

Re: Lack of any "cleanup" process. Slow Sync remedy inside!

Post by nauip »

I would suggest trying this before the Nuclear Process listed above. And should be added to the cleanup I suggested above.
Alternate fix: under iTunes_Control there was a Sync file with over 100k files in it (at least on my phone). I think this could be remedied with my suggested Cleanup Process. I ran into the Slow Sync problem again today. Decided I didn't need this folder (reckless, I know) so I deleted everything in the Sync Folder while leaving other folders alone.
This seemed to help considerably.

Comment, suggestions are welcome. I'm reasonable sure the folders under iTunes _Control can be emptied without affecting the use of your iDevice. I believe the worst you could do is wipe out your media library.
nauip

Re: Lack of any "cleanup" process. Slow Sync remedy inside!

Post by nauip »

I have upgraded to 8.3 and then 8.4 shortly after.
After each upgrade only the initial sync was quick. Subsequent updates/syncs are again slow as ... something inexplicably slow.

It seems until this is resolved this is the only way to get quick syncs with extremely large libraries.

My process currently is:
General -> Usage -> Manage Storage -> Delete all music.
using iTools delete the Sync\Media folder contents
Delete any remaining Music and Artwork (not the iTunes_Control\Artwork, but the folders under iTunes_Control\iTunes\Artwork)
Reboot the device (optionally use iCleaner and let it reboot)

The next sync should be reasonably fast.

I haven't seen the Thread Creation Error since I got rid of Forecast. I still think MM would benefit from some kind of cleanup process.
* This doesn't seem to help with 8.4 slow syncs. It was working for me on 8.3, then I got the BIGR NUMBER IZ BETTAR syndrome and updated. Devs seem to be aware and are working on it. Hopefully they will heed advice and attempt to prevent the devices from getting jacked when a sync is interrupted.