mmw fails to pick up windows name of drive

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

terryo

mmw fails to pick up windows name of drive

Post by terryo »

mmw 4.1.9.1764 Win 7 with all current updates

I changed the name of the drive containing my music files in windows but mmw keeps the old name.

My library outgrew my main data drive so I added a new drive and moved the music. The old drive was named DATA. The new drive was from a different computer and also named DATA. I changed the name to MUSIC in Win 7. mmw does not pickup this change, nor can I figure out how to force it. It is annoying to have two drives with the same name.

Re: mmw fails to pick up windows name of drive

Post by Guest »

The logical reason would be that the drive ID has changed and MediaMonkey doesn't know that yet, in which case the tracks would be greyed out. Is that the case?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Yep ... probably bite by the driveID feature. Makes backups very hard (or more hard than necessary).
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Name is independent from driveID vs. drive letter. MediaMonkey reportedly doesn't see drive name changes.

As far as driveID vs. drive letter. If you use Portable Drives that get assigned different drive letters on each connection it helps a lot that driveID is used. If you swap drives, reinstall Windows with same DB or move DB to new PC you'll need to update the driveID: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... e+location
terryo

Post by terryo »

Everything functions fine. No greyed out tracks, no malfunctions. It is simply that under My Computer in Media Tree, the name of my drive does not match the Windows name of the drive. I don't care if I have to change it manually or mmw can be pushed to pick it up. I just want it to match so I don't have my F: & G: drives show identical names.
amansker

Post by amansker »

Thanks lowlander. I swapped drives and the IDs changed. Worked perfect.