MM syncing beyond database capacity crashing iPod

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

StriderHiryu

MM syncing beyond database capacity crashing iPod

Post by StriderHiryu »

Version: 4.1.15.1828

MM syncs with my iPod beyond database capacity. The progress bar at the bottom that shows remaining capacity seems to be irrelevant. Under certain circumstances, when a sufficient number of songs are synced, and the iPod is disconnected properly, the iPod then gets into a perpetual reboot cycle. The level of crashing seems to vary. At best, it reboots at the beginning of a song. At worst, it never seems to get past the Apple logo (perpetual reboot until the battery dies). After reading several forums it appears the iPod is not just file number limited but also database size limited. MediaMonkey must not be respecting this limit because I can definitely reproduce this problem with any number of iPods to include this version of MM and all previous versions.

Please fix. This is turning iPods into bricks!
Ludek

Re: MM syncing beyond database capacity crashing iPod

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
thanks for reporting.

Could you please tell use:
- which iPod model do you have ? iPod Classic?
- how many tracks did you synced ?
- how large is the database file ?

I've read somewhere that for iPod Classic there is a 2^15 song limit (but I have never tested it) and saw users with 65,000 tracks on iPod classic without issues.
I don't think that there is a hard limit, but probably depends on particular iPod models.
StriderHiryu

Post by StriderHiryu »

Greetings. I have an iPod classic 160gb. I don't know what generation that would be. It was the very last model made that still has a hard drive.

I use smart playlists so I don't have any way to determine how many tracks were synced. I could access the filesystem through Disk Mode reboot then connecting it to iTunes or MM.

It appears to be total iPod database size. At least that is what I've read on forums although no one has an official answer from Apple.

Up until last night, I had several nested smart playlists and that caused the iPod to completely fill up. I think that maximized the database size and hence the crashing.
>- how large is the database file ?
How do I determine the size of the database on the iPod?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The actual database file on the iPod Classic is:
/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB
and the artwork DB files:
/iPod_Control/Artwork/

I remember one issue where the 30.000 songs were issue (on iPod Video) because of artwork database offset overflow, details here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13048

I see that iPod Classic has thumb resolution of 320x320 but stores thumbs per album (not per track) so until there is more than 20971 albums (very unlikely) then it shouldn't be an issue.
If you would generate debug log (item 4b here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69)
I should see it (but start DbgView prior to MM start so that I see all messages).
And also ZIP your /iPod_Control/ folder and share DropBox link here.

Thanks!