MM 4.1.25.1895 exhibiting quirks w/220k songs

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

terryo

MM 4.1.25.1895 exhibiting quirks w/220k songs

Post by terryo »

MMW is getting slow and cranky on my i7 desktop (Win 10 fully up to date, dual SSD (system & pagefile separate), 16 GB RAM, 4 TB audio drive (7200 rpm).

The search function has started intermittently not finding things. Sometimes the entry must be case sensitive correct, which never happened in years past.

The properties window takes 12-15 seconds to open, then sometimes disappears. Drove me nuts at first because I thought MMW was locking up. Now I know the window just hides behind MMW and I must click the icon in the tray to bring it back to the foreground.

Can these things be corrected? Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance of MMW with large numbers of songs? I do a complete optimization of the database every couple months. There is nothing fundamentally wrong, but as a radio DJ whose collections is growing rapidly, it feels like I am headed for trouble. How many songs can MMW handle before I have to abandon it and learn something else?
Lowlander

Re: MM 4.1.25.1895 exhibiting quirks w/220k songs

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure the database file itself is one of the faster SSD drives. There are users with much larger Libraries, but the bigger things get the faster the hardware should be for similar performance as MediaMonkey simply has to process more data from the database file (so file access of the DB on the hard drive is the biggest bottleneck).

Addons could affect things if they're processing files as well. Additionally MediaMonkey can only do one thing at the time in the database file. So if you're doing many things at the same time it can make it slow as other database accesses are in queue.
The big slow down I've seen on large databases is complex AutoPlaylists. The SQL Query gets too large for the large amount of files that have to be processed. It still works, but can be really slow.
terryo

Post by terryo »

I have no add-ons. The mm.db file is a 725 MB file on the system drive, a 256 GB Samsung 830 series SSD. The pagefile is on a different 256 GB 830 series.

My computer is built around a higher end Gigabyte motherboard and was top notch equipment about 5-6 years ago. Over that period, I haven't observed any leaps and bounds in computer technology other than SSDs coming down in price and I promptly integrated them in.

I am not doing anything else when I open the properties window. Often I am not even playing music, just managing the data on my files. The properties window always opens very slowly. As a DJ who programs on the fly, I depend on the extensive information I add to the ID3 tags. This extended pause every time I want to work on a tag is extremely annoying

Can there be problems with anti-malware programs?

BTW. I do my radio show from two HP Elitebook i5 laptops with 8 GB and SSDs. The only problem I encounter on those (and on my desktop i7) is the search function occasionally misses artist and song titles that are present. Three times I have noticed the search works if I exactly match the case of the entry. I don't open the properties window on these laptops because it is unbelievably slow and I don't want to risk crashing while I'm on the air.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you in the My Computer node when Properties is slow? Could the drive the music is on be in sleep mode?
terryo

Post by terryo »

I have nothing running but MMW and the drive is awake. The properties windows opens slow every time. If I am processing 20 promo CD copies in a row, it is exactly the same slow speed for every one.

I also asked about maximum size because WORT is digitizing their library and in the hunt for software. They currently have about 12 GB of 320 mp3s, much larger than my collection. They have been asking me about MediaMonkey because it is popular with several DJs who have gone digital. I assumed this would be out of MMW's range. Could it be done? What would it take? System capacity would probably have to be well over 50 GB of 320 mp3s so it doesn't become obsolete after the investment of time and labor.

They'd probably have to have skins, one for digiphobes and one for power users.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You didn't answer if you're in the My Computer node. That one is slower as it reads files instead of database. You can also capture a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69

They can always try with the free version, but there are users with over a million files in the Library.
terryo

Post by terryo »

The requested log has been filed in a support ticket.

I am not using My Computer. I rarely use it, and then only in desperation because it is very slow at loading a list of songs, let alone opening properties.

Thank you.
terryo

Post by terryo »

Thanks for the help. Peke got me squared away. MMW running quickly again. Onward to 1M songs!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It was my pleasure to help, it was very strange that you observe such issues and I have almost same lib size, but without any issues.

Happy Monkeying!
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
terryo

Post by terryo »

This problem is back exactly as before. Very slow opening of Properties all the time.

This developed immediately after applying the fix recommend in the thread "MMW 4.1.26.1896 interface changes for the worse"

I unchecked "Override Skin theme with Windows System theme" and restarted. It became obvious Properties opens with proper speed only when this box is not checked.

Can this be fixed or do I need to choose between fast opening Properties or proper display of the drop down menu box/arrow?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Please contact me again and we should get full debug.

Non skinned version have smaller GPU footprint and theoretically it should be faster not slower.
Best regards,
Peke
terryo

Post by terryo »

Peke:
I am still having the problem of slow response opening properties on a song or group of sounds. It takes 8-10 seconds or longer, every time. I have been too busy to dig around on this issue, but this morning I did and there are no exceptions. It does this all the time.

Eight seconds doesn't seem like much, but I process around 100 albums a month and need to resolve this. Whats the best day/time block in which to contact you?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you updated MMW to latest version from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54426&sd=d ?
Best regards,
Peke
terryo

Post by terryo »

I just did. The first time after install, properties opened quick, but mmw locked up and I had to use ctrl-alt-del to kill it.

After restart, properties doesn't complete opening for 8-10 secs or more.