Lot of various things (mainly related to localization)

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

Octopod

Lot of various things (mainly related to localization)

Post by Octopod »

Hi,

I quickly drop here several suggestions / questions and problems, sorted by main categories:

1. Localization:

- main menu File|Export to, items "export to xxxx" cannot be translated
- message info when trying to access a gold feature "To upgrade or to get more information about upgrading to MediaMonkey Gold..." does not translate
- "KB" (displayed in status bar) does not translate
- the same string is used for "now playing" in the tree node and in the tray menu item: one can accept a shortcut to quickly expand it (tray), not the other one
- tracks properties : the same tooltip is used for Basic/Rating and Rating/Quality (the 2nd one is not correct)
- tracks properties : contextual help (using '?' icon then clicking a widget) cannot be translated and some tips are missing (even in english)
- tracks properties : is it possible to enlarge the comboboxes (translations may be too long...)?
- audio format settings : the 'channels' stringlists do not translate
- search dialog : since MM2.2alpha2 (b.715), 'sort by' stringlists are not translated anymore
- search dialog : no tooltips on the rightmost icons of the Advanced tab
- search dialog : no icons in the contextual menu of the rightmost area (sorting) of the Advanced tab
- search dialog : new criteria "Year between 2000 and 2003", apply, edit and change in so that "between" becomes "<" (example), then apply again and edit again: the edited criteria is now is "year between 2000"! (ditto if "bitrate between 128 and 192" for example)
- from "now playing", Playlist|Save, the upper right button is very very small (enlarge it please...)
- please enlarge the selector displayed when asking for kind of deletion from "now playing" and from "playlists" (for me, it's large enough from deletion from nodes)
- please provide acronyms' english meaning for :
DSP - CDDBP - ISRC

2. Suggestions:

- The tag list (for instance from the main list's header) may be sorted alphabetically?
- Contextual menu from "now playing" window: options specify "... when docked" but it does not seem no have different behaviour with window docked or not
- No more tooltips when flying over main menu entries, nor the close/max/min buttons?
- Main menu Player|Stop: this entry does not own a key combination as the other ones? (Ctrl-O is free and sounds nice to me :wink: )
- Is it possible to disable the visualization plugin without uninstalling it? It is activated by default but no way to deactivate it... (in options|visualization replace radio by toggle button?)

3. Little problems and bugs (??):

- After selecting an option in a string list, the string remain selected (ie. highlighted blue) even if it loses focus (normal behaviour?)
- internal exception C000001E not catched when trying to burn without CD inserted in tray! (no crash but MM becomes unstable)
- Sleep settings: "shutdown" option is not part of the focus chain (ie. unreachable with TAB)
- File|Locate moved tracks : "cancel" button is partially out of the dialog

Sorry for the size of this list and if some points were already mentionned :oops: ; i'm a bit pressed for time this week.

Octopod
jiri

Post by jiri »

Quite a lot of things here, so to start I'll handle the most of them now:

1. Most of it will be fixed in the next release, the remaining things are:
- tracks properties : contextual help (using '?' icon then clicking a widget) cannot be translated and some tips are missing (even in english)
These strings can be translated as a part of the help file.
- tracks properties : is it possible to enlarge the comboboxes (translations may be too long...)?
Which cause the problems?
- audio format settings : the 'channels' stringlists do not translate
I don't understand which one do you mean.

DSP = Digital Signal Processing
CDDBP = CDDB Protocol
ISRC = International Standard Recording Code

3. Re. Exception during burning – I’m not able to reproduce this, does it alwyas happen to you?

Thanks for such a complete list!

Jiri
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Hi jiri,

1. Fields size:

Sorry this a mistake, i was talking about the Tools|Options dialog :oops: . The fields that are a bit too short for french translation are so:
- Player node, Player controls (3 lists)
- Library node, Inferred properties (2 first lists)

Plus the ones i already mentionned in my previous post:
- from "now playing", Playlist|Save, the upper right button is very very small
- the selector displayed when asking for kind of deletion from "now playing" and from "playlists"

2. Audio format settings

Tools|Options|Library|VirtualCD&Previews, select "WMA settings", the stringlist "Channels" is not translated (ditto for "WAV settings"; in this last case the string "default" in front of "sample rate" is not translated as well).

I hope this is clear enough this time :wink:

3. Burning exception

Hard to reproduce even for me!

When asking for burning, messages are prompted "Please insert the CD to write to..." and "please insert an empty Cd to write to..." which are not translated :wink:

Same problem with the message "Nero has detected ..../.... Do you want Nero to change the track settings for you?".

In the status bar: "(Phase : Other)" and "Checking discs" are not translated.

Well, finally i was not able to reproduce it... :-?

Octopod

PS: Another non-translated message: when inserting an audio CD, "Opening connection..." in status bar
jiri

Post by jiri »

All the localization issues you mentioned should be ok in the next release.

Thanks for you help!

Jiri
rusty

Bugs and suggestions

Post by rusty »

Octopod,

Re. your suggestions & bugs:

-What do you mean by "The tag list (for instance from the main list's header) may be sorted alphabetically?" ?

-Re. shortcut for 'stop' in the player, we felt that it wasn't necessary since Play/Pause pretty much accomplishes the same role.
-Re. de-activation of the visualization plug-in, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to have the vis. selected--it only runs when the user turns it on!?

I've added all the others to the todo list.

-Rusty
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Rusty,

I understand and i agree your point of view for the Stop shortcut and the visualization plugin.

Concerning the "tag list": i was talking about the list that pops when you choose the tags/properties you want to display in the main view or in the now playing window.

Actually i find that the list is too long (> 20 items) so it is difficult to find THE item you are looking for. Therefore i suggest:
- sorting the list alphabetically,
- or (even better to me) categorize the tags and separate them by inserting separators in the list (eg. same spirit as the tracks properties where they are displayed in several tabs).

Octopod

PS: french localization of MM will be available at the end of the week! :D
PS2: congratulations to jiri for his performance: it took me much more than 6-8 hours! :)