Which program to skin?

If you want to contribute MediaMonkey skins, themes, icons, etc...

Moderators: Morten, Gurus

Dreadlau

Which program to skin?

Post by Dreadlau »

Hi skinners:)

Which program do you use?

-To create/edit the images.
-To create/edit icons.

I'm a total noob in skinning so I need some guidance here, hehe.

Ty
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
nohitter151

Re: Which program to skin?

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote:-To create/edit the images.
There are plenty of options but I mostly use Paint.net. It's free, very simple to use, and expandable with plugins (sort of like MM!).

Dreadlau wrote:-To create/edit icons.
I only just started using IcoFX but it is a great icon editing program that is also free and easy to use.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Thx for the links Nohitter :D .

I will try these programs.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i use a multitude of image editors to get different effects because none give you all the effects.

i like windows picture it for easy of making png files,
and for its easy way of adding effects like stained glass and water and metal and other stuff like that.

i use ulead photo editor for graphic over lays like bubbles. and for color syncing the images, if needed,
i use photofiltre for easy color hue and gamma adjustments,

i use ifanview for icons, all you got to do there is make the image the size you want and you can make it out of any image graphic or photo. i use photos a lot for it, just remember if you use that for icons don't add color to the image with ifanview if you are using a transparent background. it seems to add dithered dots to the transparent background and that makes it look like a thin film over the image or a lightly colored square around the icon image. so just do your color adding in a bigger image editor before you make it a transparent background image. you can then open it in ifanview and change the size to no more then 128 x 128 x 125dpi which is the largest for icons, then just save it to an ico file. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Thx RV.

Seems I have lot of program to test. :o

I tried icoFX a bit yesterday. Really a nice program!
I will definitely keep it.
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

i have about 4 more here on their install disks. but they are pre windows me programs so you know how bad thier overlay's and effects are. so i just don't use them for anything but i could if i had the urge to make a pre winMe looking skin, but thats too old. :( even for me to make. :lol:

roving cowboy / keith hall / monkey hi fi.

8)
Morten

Post by Morten »

Photoshop and Illustrator.
Best regards,
Morten
gege

Post by gege »

nohitter151 wrote:I only just started using IcoFX but it is a great icon editing program that is also free and easy to use.
Hey! I didn't know that. It looks really good and powerful. I used to use Microangelo, but it sucks. And it isn't free.
I'll give IcoFX a try, for sure. Thanks for the tip, nohitter.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Well, but what's the point in using two different programs for images and icons? An icon is just a small image, you can make it and use it as icon. Just asking :roll:
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Fraxav wrote:Well, but what's the point in using two different programs for images and icons? An icon is just a small image, you can make it and use it as icon. Just asking :roll:
Obviously you don't know much about the icon file format :wink:

gege

Post by gege »

nohitter151 wrote:
Fraxav wrote:Well, but what's the point in using two different programs for images and icons? An icon is just a small image, you can make it and use it as icon. Just asking :roll:
Obviously you don't know much about the icon file format :wink:
Although, in Linux, icons are PNG files :D
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

I never really studied anything about icons, but I know they are small images in a .ico file format, and that's all I needed to create my own icon for a file. I simply made the image and saved to .ico, and it worked...and this is why I was asking.
So, there has to be something I'm missing...right?

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Fraxav wrote:I never really studied anything about icons, but I know they are small images in a .ico file format, and that's all I needed to create my own icon for a file. I simply made the image and saved to .ico, and it worked...and this is why I was asking.
So, there has to be something I'm missing...right?
Well, first of all - my program of choice Paint.net does not natively support .ico files. But more importantly than that is that in a single .ico file you can contain multiple images at multiple different sizes and using different color palettes. Most image programs (other than those specifically developed for .ico files) cannot handle the multiple images and image types in .ico files, rather they'll only load one of the images that is in the file - and even worse, only have a limited option of how to save the .ico file.

Hope that's clear enough for you!

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

yep the programs i used didn't have native ico support either and could not save any. i tried active icon but did not like it. i found i could save a single icon from photos with ifranview and just started doing that.

how ever if you can program. you can take lots of icons and put them in a dll file and then point your app to that dll file to use the icons in it. i got 9 dll files of all the 3.1 to 98 icons i use some of them yet for shortcuts but i just don't remember how to make the dll file to put my xp icons in to so i dont. i use to have a program for that but can't seem to get it to work anymore, so i make the single icons and let the users pick which one to use. anymore the windows system will vector down the icon size from 128 to 16 if you really want to put it in a place that uses that small of icon when doing that the image has to be simple to see at the smaller size. so less stuff in the photo works. :lol:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

So, I can save images as .ico and I can define palettes too. I don't know if there's a way to add different images sizes to the same file, cause I don't usually make icons, but if it's not supported in the program there's probably some plugin for it.
(UPDATE: after a little try I found out that I can add multiple images with different sizes and palettes to my icon file with the same editing program and without an external plug-in).
Btw, icofx has some good and interesting features that are not exactly related to image editing.
Last edited by Fraxav on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.