Where's a great place to buy music?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

swimchicken

Where's a great place to buy music?

Post by swimchicken »

Looking for a great place to buy music online . . .

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I don't know if these are "great places" but I use a combination of Napster, ITunes and Wal-Mart. I've yet to find a site that has all the songs I am looking for in one place. For some reason, they all may have only some tracks on an album.

Nyn

Re: Where's a great place to buy music?

Post by Guest »

swimchicken wrote:Looking for a great place to buy music online . . .

Any ideas, suggestions?
Download sites? or mail order CD sites?
Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Amazon.com and CD Baby. All the music you will ever need
SamuelLB

Re: Where's a great place to buy music?

Post by SamuelLB »

Buy music?? :o

Who's buying music today? Just find the right software tool and download what you need! Free.

Even Kelly Morrison from C|net admits that she's a compulsive music downloader (and then she needs MediaMonkey to let her organize her thousands of mp3 files) :lol:
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

most that use wma files compress them too much i think but you can get them from many places just buying music is tricky on which is the best quailty site. my sister use to buy from walmart's site and still does once in a while.

but you have to play the song while on their site just after downloading or you
don't get the lic for it and the song won't play when off their web site. so play it once and get the lic...

as for cdroms. amazon is not the cheapest but they have
alot of stuff there.
BMG has their own web site if you want to join them and get cdroms sent to you.

walmart has a ship to store or ship to house option when you buy cdroms from them you buy on line and pick it up at the store thats closest to you.
that might just be a US. only option?.
some cdroms you find online at walmarts site you can't find in their stores. so it is rather tiresome if you forget that and try to find one in the store, you seen online thats listed as online only.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Try www.Emusic.com

Emusic sells only independent labels, with no DRM (though they do watermark). Their prices are fair, and they have a tremendous selection (if a bit off the beaten path). With the plan I am using, songs are about $0.24 each.

I am personally sick of the Digital Rights Management schemes that are used by I-tunes (and other vendors). Enough of the BS where you have to burn your songs to CD and then rip them back just so that you can play them on a player OTHER than on ONE computer and ONE freaking IPOD.

There's only one solution to this idiotic problem - boycott the corrupt and evil Record Company cartel. They crossed the line when they (the RIAA scumbags) started suing and bankrupting families with small children. I will never again buy from anyone that is associated with RIAA. I still spend as much $ as I ever did on music, but only from independent labels, and only songs with no DRM.

"Lawsuits on 12-year-old kids for downloading music, duping a mother into paying a $2,000 settlement for her kid?" said rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy. "Those scare tactics are pure Gestapo."
:evil:

Here are good reasons why we should stop supporting the record label cartels: http://downhillbattle.org/reasons/

Emusic sells you the song, and you can do what you like with it – just like back in the days of Records and Cassettes. As more and more people discover the alternate technologies, more and more people will move away from crappy services like ITunes. ITunes is going down. It's only a matter of time. Good riddance.

Thanks for reading this - and for passing it along!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i agree on that scare tactics being called for what it is.

but i think if memory serves me they dropped the case against
the kid and mom or was that the one on the kid and his grandma? or the one on the kid and his older brother or sister and their mom and dad.
or the one on the 2 year old that got hold of buttons to playwith?
too many cases to keep straight.

but you know pirates will steal from kids and take food out of a baby's mouth if they want it bad enough.

but did you know all songs have been copyrighted by the lable for 35 years or so until after the artist is dead? then if the family is still around they can get the copyright back.
if not then the company retains it.

sounds like pirates to me,?
and to the really rich artists they were the only ones that had the money to buy back their copyrights or their parents copyrights.

but what do you expect when the companys were started out as pirate companys themselfs. forcing radio dj's to pay to play songs on the air, even though they had a contract to be supplyed with songs from company artists. it was called payola and it did not go away they still do it.

:(
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
royzee

EMusic

Post by royzee »

I subscribed to Napster and never bought a single track - I liked the preview feature to check before buying CDs as I want the artwork etc.
I now only subscribe to EMusic and that has been DRM free forever. It;s so good to be able to burn DL MP3s to CD to play in the car.

Worth looking around EMusic - the search function is VG - and reading the message board just in case your taste is not along the lines offered. Virtually no chart music but tons worth a listen. I always use up my quota. They have the occasional free album too and some of these are great. Loads of classical and jazz if you like them. No problems with MM either. Sometimes the ID3tags are erroneous though.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I would recommend amazon.com. The tracks are cheap, they have a large mainstream collection, and the files are DRM free, meaning you can do whatever you want with them. As far as I know, no other download site offers these options (at least not legally!)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
scootercuder

Post by scootercuder »

I like e music and I got winamp and stream ripper mega music there if you dont mind putting them in a editor and doing a little editing.
loubob73

Rhapsody

Post by loubob73 »

I actually use Rhapsody. I pay $15 a month for unlimited "downloads". As soon as I "add" a track to my Rhapsody library, it is automatically downloaded into the "my music" folder on my C drive. I have MM set up to automatically scan this folder. So, I only use Rhapsody to download music. Once I have the music, all of my listening and organizing is done through MM (Rhapsody really sucks as a music player, and, in any case, nothing beats The Monkey!) Most of my listening is done through the ScrobblerDJ function. I have an RCA Lyra Wireless device (I got it for about $40 on Ebay!), which allows me to listen to PC music through my stereo speakers. I also have a Zen Vision:M portable MP3 player. This device is compatible with RhapsodyToGo. So all of the music I download from Rhapsody I can play on this device for no extra charge. The tracks from Rhapsody contain DRM, and if I ever want to burn anything to CD, I have to pay extra (about $1 a track) to do this. But I never need to. With this set up, I can listen to all of my music through my stereo (Lyra Wireless), on the go, or in the car (Zen Vision:M). I have access to the entire Rhapsody library for $15 a month. Can't help but think I'm making out pretty good. ;)
Mitch470

Amazon sells unprotected MP3 music

Post by Mitch470 »

Amazon.com is now selling MP3 files of songs for 89 cents to 99 cents. No protection is embedded in the files.
Cheers,

Mitch
Peke

Post by Peke »

Finally, I can buy some tracks and I do not need pay $30 for shipping to Serbia.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
powerpill-pacman

Post by powerpill-pacman »

If you like electronic music try:

Boomkat.com (for vinyls, cds and Digital downloads)
Beatport.com (just downloads)
Hardwax.de (Famous Berlin record store, also mailorder)
Bleep.com (Warp Records digital offshoot)
Gemm.com and discogs.com for the antiques and new stuff as well
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) - MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304
My music on Soundcloud
some more on Last.fm
if you really like my music...