How do you update your Ipod without iTunes?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Ketil

How do you update your Ipod without iTunes?

Post by Ketil »

Since you love your Monkey and wouldn't let iTunes even near your machine :D , how do you upgrade your firmware?
Bex

Post by Bex »

I don't have an iPod but as I understand it, you must use iTunes for firmware upgrades.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
gege

Post by gege »

Mine came with the latest firmware already, so I never faced this problem...
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Why not let iTunes on the machine? I doesnt hurt. Just use it for firmware updates.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
daelin73

Re: How do you update your Ipod without iTunes?

Post by daelin73 »

Ketil wrote:Since you love your Monkey and wouldn't let iTunes even near your machine :D , how do you upgrade your firmware?
I use iTunes for videos (because I watch so many) and for firmware upgrades. The iPod is set to Manual sync which is how I'm able to do that.

For music, I switched back after the horrible quality I was getting from the AAC files I encoded on it compared to the MP3s from MM3.

Lauren
karimleo

Post by karimleo »

I have ITunes installed on my old computer which runs at a snail pace and I don't use.

I don't even have a monitor for it and it won't work with my current monitors because it is VGA and my new ones are DVI. So I VNC it with my new computer.

When I hear of a firmware upgrade I drag the old boy out of retirement, plug it into my network router, access it via RealVNC, plug in my iPod and do the necessary updating.

Works a charm and my main computer doesn't have to have iTunes installed.

Hope this helps :D
megal_1

Post by megal_1 »

ipod without itunes is good gadget.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

I don't watch videos so I never updated my software. I hear horror stories of bad versions that wiped out ipods. At least ipods can be restored. There was a real bad Zune version that trashed the Zunes if you did something wrong.

I say if it is not broke why fix it?