Custom Fields

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

edsel99

Custom Fields

Post by edsel99 »

I am getting ready to start using the Custom fields after the exhausting process of organizing and rating all my music. I was wondering what others are using them for. I had a couple of ideas:

Custom 1: Live or Studio Songs
Custom 2: Cover Songs
Custom 3: Source Band (Beatles for all Beatles, Lennon, Harrison... Dire Straits for all Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler...)
gregmasciola

Post by gregmasciola »

For me, Custom 1 is called "Volume Leveling", where I type how I leveled the volume; it will either say "MP3 Gain-Track Gain", "MP3 Gain-Album Gain", "Media Monkey", or "Analyzed", meaning that it isn't leveled yet, so I just had Media Monkey analyze it.

Custom 2 is called "Album Status". I have a process of going through my songs and rating them. First, I give the songs on an album a breif listen and decide what I think of them, deleting ones I don't like. When this is done, I change the Album Status to "First Listen". After I've listened to a few albums, I go through them once more, this time listening to the whole song with no distractions. I might realize that I like some songs more or less than I originally thought. I might even find a few more to delete. After this, I change the Album Status to "Ready To Synch". Then I import those tracks into my iTunes library, and transfer my ratings. Now the Album Status is changed to "Synched".

Custom 3 is called "Original Album". I have some bands where I may only end up keeping a few tracks per album. I don't want to select an album just to listen to 2 songs, so I enter the name of the album the track came from, then change the album tag to the name of the artist. I prefer this rather than creating a playlist for each artist.

I used to call custom 3 "Album Type", such as Studio, Live, Greatest Hits, Compilation, or Soundtrack, etc.

Post by Guest »

I'm using custom field 5 for my AutoRate accurate script.

Custom field 1 is called song version, and I use it to classify the particular track, i.e.

Acoustic
Version
Live
Unreleased
Demo
Cover
Remix
Bonus
Hidden
Dialogue
Instrumental
Noise
Mono
Stereo
Studio
Soundtrack
Traditional
etc.

And custom field 2 I use for the Album Type
Split
Collaboration
Compilation
Soundtrack
LP
EP
Single
Bootleg
Promo
Dialogue
Audiobook
Remastered
Classical
Remix
Live
Instrumental
Acoustic
Demo
etc.

I'm using a very useful script that allows me to right click in media monkey and assign these to any track or album by a separator of my choice, in case of multiple properties. (Split; EP, Remix; Compilation, etc.)
steve_c

Accession number for added CDs

Post by steve_c »

A friend asked if MM can have a simple sequence number (i.e., accession number) for each album that is ripped or added to the library. This is so that the sequence number can be used to find the CD kept in a folder (to save space) e.g., to re-rip, look at the full artwork. Would this be a suitable use of a custom field? (I know that the database has a per-track sequence number, I'm asking about per-album sequence number.)
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

Is there any way to sync the # of Plays to one of the custom fields? i think it would be good if each individual track knew how many times it had been played.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

Wargazm wrote:Is there any way to sync the # of Plays to one of the custom fields? i think it would be good if each individual track knew how many times it had been played.
But it does already. On the Details tab, check Play counter field.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

spacefish wrote:
Wargazm wrote:Is there any way to sync the # of Plays to one of the custom fields? i think it would be good if each individual track knew how many times it had been played.
hmmm...I guess I just assumed that play counts were stored in the library, not the tag.
Zzaj

Review information

Post by Zzaj »

I review CD's for a (long-running) 'zine called IMPROVIJAZZATION NATION. I use the custom fields (that are available) for things like:

Artist website:
Date Received for Review:
Promoter's email:
Date Review sent to promoter:
Issue link:

One problem I haven't been able to figure out, & could use anyone's help with - I want the info (like "Date Received for Review") in the tag to DUPLICATE (sort of like a spreadsheet can). Right now, I'm forced to use the CHECKBOX from the PROPERTIES window; that makes it dupe, but is there any easier way to do this (that anyone knows of)?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Wargazm wrote:
spacefish wrote:
hmmm...I guess I just assumed that play counts were stored in the library, not the tag.
Play counts are stored in the library, and not stored in the tag.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Retribution

Post by Retribution »

Custom 1: Song Version

Remastered
Remix
Recording
Live
Studio
etc.

Custom 2: Album Type

Compilation
Soundtrack
Bootleg
Studio
etc.

Custom 3: Artist Website

Self explanatory

Custom 4: Scrobbled

Yes if the track has been scrobbled by Last.FM
No if it hasn't

Custom 5: Nothing yet
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

I make use of the custom fields in the following way:

Custom 1 = Track Date
The standard "Year" field is used for Album Date. This custom field makes it far easier to incorporate my various artist and artist compilation CDs into the library. The "Original Year" field is used for remakes, remixes, remasters or resamples of earlier music.

Custom 2 = Source
eg. CD, Tape, iTunes, eMusic, Artist Website

Custom 3 = Dance Style
eg. Cha Cha, Samba, Waltz etc. if applicable

Post by Guest »

1. Album Type (per album):
Full-Length
Live
Compilation
EP
Demo
Single

etc...

2. Version (per song):
Standard
Live
Acoustic
Orchestral
Remix
<artist> Cover

etc....

3. Category (per artist):
Rock
Metal
Folk
Classical
Core
Alternative

4. Country (per artist):
Zimbabwe
Congo
Peru

etc..

Version is used to detect duplicate songs. Duplicate songs are deleted.

I use 6 categories for organizing. This because I use too many genres and many artists have multiple (sub)genres.
I organize like this: <category>\<artist>\<album type>\<year> - <album>\<song>
Rajeeve

Re: Custom Fields

Post by Rajeeve »

Hi Friends,

How I can rename the custom fields? Could you please help

thanks in Advance

Rajeeve
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Appearance, don't forget to restart MediaMonkey after changing their names.
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

The only custom field I've made use of is Custom 1, which I've renamed "Music" and treat it as a Yes/No field. This allows me to easily create playlists that only contain music since some genres, like Comedy, contain both music and non-music tracks.