MediaMonkey U3

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Fraxav

MediaMonkey U3

Post by Fraxav »

I recently bought an USB pen drive with the built-in U3 technology. Today I thought: what if I could have MM3 on this pen drive?
Well...maybe most of the readers won't understand what I'm talking about.
U3 is a quite new technology that allows you to bring your own programs, files, preferences, bookmarks, etc... with you in a pen drive with the appropriate software installed, occupying a reasonable amount of space (and without having to set up a new OS in that drive). So, if you install the U3 version of MM3 in that drive, plugging it in whatever computer will result in MM3 running on that computer, with your own customized settings!
The point is that, to work with U3, a program should be slightly (or heavily, dunno...) modified.
Well, I find that U3 is a really interesting feature and since more and more programs are releasing their U3 version, MM shouldn't do otherwise. :)
My pen drive is a Sandisk Cruzer Micro, but it's not the only one capable of U3, despite Sandisk is the co-creator for the technology. Many infos about U3 can be found here.
Share your opinions! Bye.
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
karimleo

Post by karimleo »

That looks like a REALLY cool piece of equipment. I will be getting one of those but one problem a few will have is that they have very little storage space and alot of people have huge music libraries.

Still it would be nice to have MM3 wherever you go
Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

Since U3 is more or less dead, it would be kinda pointless to spend time to make MM compatible with something that'll be gone in a year or less.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

karimleo wrote:I will be getting one of those but one problem a few will have is that they have very little storage space and alot of people have huge music libraries.
Well, U3 is supposed to let you carry MM and it's preference settings with you...not your whole gigas of music. Since MM has several interesting features, bringing it with you could allow you to manage songs in another computer like they were in your home pc.

Maybe U3 is going to die, but since support for this feature will require just an edit to the program, and not a brand new program (I think), some developer could think about it. And however also after the "death" of U3 it is going to exist anyway, at least in the drives that people purchased. So people comfortable with U3 is probably going to use the U3 version of MM for a good lapse of time.

Anyway this was just a wish/advice and not a MUST DO.
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
Gunni

PortableApps

Post by Gunni »

I use mainly portable apps (www.portableapps.com) on my company laptop, therefore it would be great, if MediaMonkey would be available as a PortableApp. Especially since I have a Gold License.

Just to explain to anyone who does not know portable apps. Portable Applications are standalone applications, which do not need any installation. You only need to extract them to the directory of your choice (e.g. external HD or USB Stick) and you can start them from there, without leaving any traces in the registry. Further you can use a task bar menu like PStart or PortableAppsSuite to comfortably start your programs.

This would mean I could just add it to my external HD or USB stick where all my music is on and take it with me.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

it is not u3 compatible, but you can still have mm installed on your usb drive.

see @ http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ediamonkey
fenrir

Post by fenrir »

Just make the app portable, using tools like Thinstall or many others.

You do not need any special kind of hardware to run this portable tools. *ANY* usb stick would do.

I have ported my MediaMonkey using Thinstall. Try it, if you need a direct link to download my portable version (with my settings) let me know. It hardly takes 15 mins to do it anyway
MarcJ

MediaMonkey Portable?

Post by MarcJ »

If you take your portable MediaMonkey USB stick to a computer that does not have MediaMonkey already installed, how do you deal with all the missing registry entries? I would love to buy a gold registration to this fantastic app, but only if I can truly go portable. I do ALL my business on a portable 320gig HD.
fenrir

Post by fenrir »

The portable application takes care of all registry entries etc. You can make almost any software portable including MS Office, Winamp, Limewire.....
drichm

'portable'

Post by drichm »

Says
I make sure that the drive always gets J: when connected to any computer.
which is not 'portable' in the way portable apps etc implement portable.

If I plug a USB stick with a portable MM on it into any Windows PC, it should work regardless of the arbitrary drive letter windows will give it.

Dave

P.S. Where does MM keep the licence key? In the registry? if so this is problematic for a portable version.