UPNP server for MediaMonkey (v0.2)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

botijo

Re: UPNP server for MediaMonkey (v0.2)

Post by botijo »

PhilDG wrote:I can get the server up and running and can connect with my Buffalo LinkTheater but don't get any content! Any ideas?
Hi, PhilDG. I was busy in RL (Real Life), so I did not visit the forums for two or three weeks.
Related to your problem, can you copy what shows in the command window? I hope I can make some sense into those messages.
Regards.
botijo

Post by botijo »

SanderAnt wrote:Does this work with MM2? I haven't upgraded on my main machine yet, and I'd like to read up more since there are somethings that seem much different, which I use frequently on v2.

Thanks for your hard work. UPnP gets a bad rap, but is sooo useful.
Hi, SanderAnt,
unfortunately, I do not know the differences between 2.5 and 3, so I cannot tell you if it will work or not.
UPnP gets a bad reputation because of the things you can do with routers that can harm computers in your local network. UPnP A/V Mediaservers might not be perfect, but as you say, they really are so useful.
Regards.
lars (at) k0ngehuset.dk

Nice

Post by lars (at) k0ngehuset.dk »

Nice work works great. :-)
Peke

Post by Peke »

@botijo
Small notice, Your SIG still say 0.1
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lona

Post by Lona »

Unfortunately the server isn't working here yet, it might be because of my operating system which isn't in optimal shape.
But still I have to mention I encourage the initiative. I don't know how everything will look like on a UPNP client but every step towards having the full blown MediaMonkey on a mediacenter is a great development. After all playing movies on a mediacenter is nothing special, most people don't care if takes two / three minutes to select the movie because after this you can watch it for two hours. But in the end with music you'd like to have more options than most mediacenters offer, so not just album or album artist, but a lot of options to search after (genre, year, original artist, album artist, ...), display things more than just titles (like playcount, lyrics and information about the tracks, basically all things you can show in MonkeyRok)) and cross-select music (give me all the songs that are of artist XXX in year YYY and with an average rating of ZZZ). And once again, each step of more MediaMonkey on the mediacenter is one I greatly encourage!
botijo, keep up the good work!
kazadharri

Post by kazadharri »

Will this track both ratings and playcounts? So if I play a song via this server it will update the above information?
/Jeff
botijo

Post by botijo »

kazadharri wrote:Will this track both ratings and playcounts? So if I play a song via this server it will update the above information?
/Jeff
At the moment it does not. It should be easy to implement, although it cannot be 100% accurate, as the client does not tell the server whenever a file has finished being played. So I suppose that is a feature request.

About searching... Does anybody know of any that does? Both clients I usually use do not ask for Search capabilities, so they do not search at all! Please be aware that I am not installing clients that are over 20 MB download.
sciamannikoo

Post by sciamannikoo »

How to install it on Vista (also a manual procedure would be ok).
I'm running MM as administrator, but there is no chance to install mmip files (this is an old unsolved issue).

Thanks
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sciamannikoo wrote:How to install it on Vista (also a manual procedure would be ok).
I'm running MM as administrator, but there is no chance to install mmip files (this is an old unsolved issue).

Thanks
Actually thats a solved issue and has been documented extensively, see the MediaMonkey support page. You have to start MM as administrator to install .mmip files.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
sciamannikoo

Post by sciamannikoo »

nohitter151 wrote: Actually thats a solved issue and has been documented extensively, see the MediaMonkey support page. You have to start MM as administrator to install .mmip files.
As I've written, I'm running MM as administrator, but the installation keeps showing a nice error window where I can send a useless error report.

I know that has been documented, but not extensively enough, I would say.

And since I'm quite sure that there should be a way to install this script manually, I'm just asking how. Unzipping the file and copying the vbs doesn't help, so far: I suppose I should do something more.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sciamannikoo wrote:
nohitter151 wrote: Actually thats a solved issue and has been documented extensively, see the MediaMonkey support page. You have to start MM as administrator to install .mmip files.
As I've written, I'm running MM as administrator, but the installation keeps showing a nice error window where I can send a useless error report.

I know that has been documented, but not extensively enough, I would say.

And since I'm quite sure that there should be a way to install this script manually, I'm just asking how. Unzipping the file and copying the vbs doesn't help, so far: I suppose I should do something more.
Does that happen when installing any extension or just this one?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
sciamannikoo

Post by sciamannikoo »

nohitter151 wrote: Does that happen when installing any extension or just this one?
Well, any script, but since I've gave up on finding a general solution (I've sent reports, tickets, posts, but I've never got a solution), I'm just trying to find how to install THIS script manually.
botijo

Post by botijo »

Hi there,
let me get you out of this mess.

First, what helps me a lot is to put MediaMonkey OUTSIDE "Program Files". That makes it possible for MM to run without administrator privileges and install scripts correctly.

Second, this is not a script and it needs to be started sepparetely from MM. The binary version comes with the default installation program that comes with Visual C# Express Edition. The only problem I see in this case is that the link to the server is installed in the Microsoft group, not MediaMonkey group! So you might find the server at Start Button > Microsoft > MM UPNP server.

By the way, the server does not need to be inside MM installation directory. It uses the Windows OLE/COM/whateveriscallednow mechanism in order to ask MediaMonkey about the library. So please do not install the MM UPNP server in the same directory as MM.

I think that is all. I hope you have fun.
sciamannikoo

Post by sciamannikoo »

botijo wrote:Hi there,
let me get you out of this mess.

First, what helps me a lot is to put MediaMonkey OUTSIDE "Program Files". That makes it possible for MM to run without administrator privileges and install scripts correctly.
I've followed some tips from the MM guys (wiki's ticket), creating C:\Users\All Users\MediaMonkey\ and C:\Users\All Users\MediaMonkey\Extensions and giving full control permissions to administrator and to me, but still no success.

I've tried also your way, reinstalling MM outside "Program Files", without any improvement, except that now the error message is just a popup saying "Unable to create directory" and with the current selected son in the caption (?).
botijo wrote: Second, this is not a script and it needs to be started sepparetely from MM. The binary version comes with the default installation program that comes with Visual C# Express Edition.
Yes, I know that, but before I should be able to install the script (any script actually).

Thanks a lot.

I don't want anymore to keep this OT, since I've managed to deal with this issue opening a ticket. I just hope to find also a final solution ;)

Thanks again for the patience.
botijo

Post by botijo »

All right then. I hope you can come up with a solution. I wonder why I am not having the same trouble as other people, though.