How about CART chunk support?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

psyXonova

How about CART chunk support?

Post by psyXonova »

Ok, here is the deal...
MediaMonkey is great and IMO one of its major kickass features is the complete (i mean with tags) support of so many formats.

While this is truth i do believe that MM lacks one important feature and this is the support of the Radio Industry's Traffic Data WAVE File Standard, also known as "CART chunk" (more details here).

CART chunk is actually a header that can be inserted in any RIFF WAV file and it is very similar with ID3 tags. I have been looking around the net the last couple days and it seems relatively easy (programmatically) to access CART data writen in a wave file. This format is open and there are full specifications in the link above. There is also a CART chunk editor out there (from BSI) but it doesn't support batch editing or converting from CART to ID3.

This is a popular format inside the Radio industry and almost all Radio Broacasting software support it... but all this software are VERY expensive and none of them has the ability to organize a lot of files of different formats in such an easy way that MM does.

I am a member of the Radio Industry myself and i have to use CART chunk since its the only standard between Radio Broacasting software. In fact, some software support only wav files with CART chunk meaning that you have to do all the painfull job of tagging inside those programms which they SUCK when it comes to that.

It would be nice if MM had the ability to read & write CART chunk and be able to write the CART data in the format MM supports now (which is ID3 tag). If the write abbility is too hard it would be nice if MM could at least read the CART data, import it in to database and then use it for the creatio n of id tags.

Thanks in Advance
Peke

Post by Peke »

As developer of Wave Taging Plugin for MM I'll see more about CART Chunk.
Just wanted to point that MM curently Support Multiple RIFF WAVE CHUNKS like ID3v1 (I found some Wave-s with it, I think Audio Catalist use them), ID3v2 (Used in Audio Grabber), Standard RIFF Metadata Chunk under LISTChunk and named INFO by Microsoft early 1995. I can't promise that it will be implemented but surely interesting for investigating.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
psyXonova

That's good news

Post by psyXonova »

Thanks for your reply Peke,

From what i know, supporting CART chunk is relatively easy since your allready support standard riff wav chunks. From what i have read on the net and because I my self am a developer (VB, SQL) it seems to me that supporting CART chunk it just means a few additions on the allready existing code (read support for another header "CART" and its members). As for the write support, if your code allready supports writing chunks then the addition of cart chunk will also be relatively easy.

Thanks again for your comment
Peke

Post by Peke »

Well see it sounds interesting.

Lowlander?
New Addon to wish list? :wink:
Best regards,
Peke
kris

Re: How about CART chunk support?

Post by kris »

I just purchased Media Monkey as well, I work in radio also and we use Wide Orbit, which I believe uses Cart Chunk data. So is Media Monkey able to read Cart Chunk data? If so, how? Basically when I move a Wav file to another computer, I would like to see title, artist info, can Media Monkey read that?
Peke

Re: How about CART chunk support?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please let me know what is not read from WAV file? Or even along that supply me a link to one that contain data MMW do not read and I'll analyze to see what is, what is missing and what can be done?
Best regards,
Peke