Export/Create Playlists 4 Child Nodes 4.0 (2013-07-10)[MM2+]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

squeezemonkey

Re: Export M3U/Playlists for Child Nodes 2.3 (2009-04-17)[MM2+3]

Post by squeezemonkey »

Thanks so much for this, ZvezdanD!

Is there any way to automate this, similar to how Trixmoto's backup script runs when you close MM? Or better yet, is there a way to have it run on a regular schedule, or even when an AutoPlaylist changes? I'm using this to sync playlists to my SqueezeCenter, and sometimes I make changes to an AutoPlaylist and forget to run your script before I go sit on the couch expecting to enjoy my new playlists. =)
ZvezdanD

Re: Export M3U/Playlists for Child Nodes 2.3 (2009-04-17)[MM2+3]

Post by ZvezdanD »

Well, all you mentioned is almost trivial and could be easily added, but there is one problem. As you could see from its name, this script works only with the selected node (and its sub-nodes, of course). For example, if you select the Library node, you would get exported playlists for all sub-nodes of the Library. So, if I add some timer to periodically export nodes, I could get different result every time when the timer triggers - in one moment I could have selected the Library node, in another moment some another node. So, if I add a possibility to periodically save playlists, I need to define one fixed node which sub-nodes I want to export. After that, I should change the name of this script and its description as well, since it wouldn't be limited to child nodes anymore.

So, the answer is yes, I could add such thing. However, I am just wondering - are you sure that there is not exists some script with such possibility? Why don't you use trixmoto's script if it have that option?
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
ZvezdanD

Re: Export M3U/Playlists for Child Nodes 2.4 (2009-04-19)[MM2+3]

Post by ZvezdanD »

It was not so trivial as I though... There is a new update: v2.4 - 2009-04-19
- Added: option to automatically export specified playlists on shutdown or periodically with customizable time interval.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:It was not so trivial as I though... There is a new update: v2.4 - 2009-04-19
- Added: option to automatically export specified playlists on shutdown or periodically with customizable time interval.
Z:

You are starting to surprise me on a daily basis :D but of course you know I will be asking you for more. Because of problems I am having with another script that uses a timer, I will not use that feature. And occasional problems I have with MM at shutdown I will not be using that one. I have two requests, 1. is it possible to add a timer to run at startup after a certain amount of time? 2. Is it possible to use masks similar to Trixmoto's backup script so that I can save them daily in their own separate folders? I am sure you are thinking, why not just use Trixmoto's backup script? I like this one for the playlist exports because it offers the convenience of skipping autoplaylists.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
squeezemonkey

Post by squeezemonkey »

You are awesome! The periodic exports are exactly what I needed. Thanks! =)
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

nynaevelan wrote:1. is it possible to add a timer to run at startup after a certain amount of time?
It runs periodically after startup with a specified amount of time and saves files in specified folder. So, files would be overwritten each time when the timer triggers. Do you want from me to add something like "export only once xx minutes after startup"?
2. Is it possible to use masks similar to Trixmoto's backup script so that I can save them daily in their own separate folders? I am sure you are thinking, why not just use Trixmoto's backup script? I like this one for the playlist exports because it offers the convenience of skipping autoplaylists.
Well, of course it could be possible, but now I have one more problem - there is not empty space for new controls anymore. Well, you could see empty space in MM 3.x, but not in MM 2.x which has narrower Options dialog box. This compatibility is really limiting factor. Maybe I could add one new Options sheet, but I'd like to have all controls together in one place.

I don't know how masks from trixmoto script work, but maybe it could be enough for you to get automatically created folders with a date appended to the Playlist name or something similar. What mask do you want to use? Do you want to change it, or it could enough to have a fixed one? If you have some better suggestion how to avoid one new edit box for entering masks, please let me know.

By the way, skipping of autoplaylists is possible only in the manual mode, when you right-click on some node from the Playlist branch and choose Export M3Us for Child Nodes. Autoplaylists are not skipped in the automatic mode when the timer triggers, since squeezemonkey asked specifically for it. Maybe same option "Exclude AutoPlaylists ..." should be used for both modes? To be honest, I don't see a point to periodically save static playlists, it has much more sense to save autoplaylists periodically.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:It runs periodically after startup with a specified amount of time and saves files in specified folder. So, files would be overwritten each time when the timer triggers. Do you want from me to add something like "export only once xx minutes after startup"?
I already have Trixmoto's backup script to run 45 seconds after startup. If I was going to use the timer feature of this one, I would want to add a gap so that the two scripts are not running at the same time. How would I use your timer in order to have it only run at startup? I could always adjust the timer for Trixmoto's script.
ZvezdanD wrote:I don't know how masks from trixmoto script work, but maybe it could be enough for you to get automatically created folders with a date appended to the Playlist name or something similar. What mask do you want to use? Do you want to change it, or it could enough to have a fixed one? If you have some better suggestion how to avoid one new edit box for entering masks, please let me know.
I do not know how I would be able to help you here without having a second sheet under there first. But I would want the date/time to be a part of the directory folder rather than the playlist themselves. I want the playlist names to remain the same as they are within MM.
ZvezdanD wrote:By the way, skipping of autoplaylists is possible only in the manual mode, when you right-click on some node from the Playlist branch and choose Export M3Us for Child Nodes. Autoplaylists are not skipped in the automatic mode when the timer triggers, since squeezemonkey asked specifically for it. Maybe same option "Exclude AutoPlaylists ..." should be used for both modes? To be honest, I don't see a point to periodically save static playlists, it has much more sense to save autoplaylists periodically.
I guess I will have to stick with the manual method because I do like the feature to skip the export of the autoplaylists. I export my playlists because I use them in Winamp and on my laptop. Often when I am beta testing in MM, it does not like it when I have one instance playing and the other doing whatever I am testing, so I like to use Winamp to play music while I am working. And since I change my playlists on a daily basis, I like to have the most recent version available. Especially since I like to use Bex's Add/Remove Playstats script to adjust the playcounts for the tracks that I listened to in Winamp to be updated in MM. Anal I know but I could spend hours listening in Winamp, and I use my playstats for playlist adjustments and such so I do not want to lose them.

Nyn

ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

nynaevelan wrote:I already have Trixmoto's backup script to run 45 seconds after startup. If I was going to use the timer feature of this one, I would want to add a gap so that the two scripts are not running at the same time. How would I use your timer in order to have it only run at startup? I could always adjust the timer for Trixmoto's script.
My timer currently cannot be adjusted to run just once after startup. This is a reason why I asked if you want from me to add one new option for this. By the way, the smallest interval for periodical export is 1 minute, so I suppose it is not overlapping with the timer from trixmoto's script.
nynaevelan wrote:I would want the date/time to be a part of the directory folder rather than the playlist themselves. I want the playlist names to remain the same as they are within MM.
Yes, I understand that. I didn't suggest to append date/time to the playlists, but only to their parent folder. From you description I assume that it is enough to add one new check box like "Automatically export playlists every day with appended date/time to the parent folder", instead of one new edit box for entering masks.
nynaevelan wrote:I guess I will have to stick with the manual method because I do like the feature to skip the export of the autoplaylists. I export my playlists because I use them in Winamp and on my laptop.
I understand your reasons to exclude autoplaylists, but you didn't give me an answer. What do you think if we should use the existing option "Exclude AutoPlaylists from export" for both modes, automatic and manual? So, if some user turn on that option, autoplaylists would be skipped without a regard which mode is in effect. I hope squeezemonkey don't mind for this suggestion.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:I already have Trixmoto's backup script to run 45 seconds after startup. If I was going to use the timer feature of this one, I would want to add a gap so that the two scripts are not running at the same time. How would I use your timer in order to have it only run at startup? I could always adjust the timer for Trixmoto's script.
My timer currently cannot be adjusted to run just once after startup. This is a reason why I asked if you want from me to add one new option for this. By the way, the smallest interval for periodical export is 1 minute, so I suppose it is not overlapping with the timer from trixmoto's script.
Yes, I think if you add the option to run it at startup this would work, then I can adjust the timer on Trixmoto's script to start a little later.
ZvezdanD wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:I would want the date/time to be a part of the directory folder rather than the playlist themselves. I want the playlist names to remain the same as they are within MM.
Yes, I understand that. I didn't suggest to append date/time to the playlists, but only to their parent folder. From you description I assume that it is enough to add one new check box like "Automatically export playlists every day with appended date/time to the parent folder", instead of one new edit box for entering masks.
Yes this will definately work, whichever method is easiest for you will work for me.
ZvezdanD wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:I guess I will have to stick with the manual method because I do like the feature to skip the export of the autoplaylists. I export my playlists because I use them in Winamp and on my laptop.
I understand your reasons to exclude autoplaylists, but you didn't give me an answer. What do you think if we should use the existing option "Exclude AutoPlaylists from export" for both modes, automatic and manual? So, if some user turn on that option, autoplaylists would be skipped without a regard which mode is in effect. I hope squeezemonkey don't mind for this suggestion.
Personally, I would like to have the option available for both the manual and auto methods. But I am not sure how it is being used for Squeezemonkey or other users. Do some users prefer to have different export options when running manually or automatically??

Nyn

squeezemonkey

Post by squeezemonkey »

But I am not sure how it is being used for Squeezemonkey or other users. Do some users prefer to have different export options when running manually or automatically??
For my use-case it would be fine to have that checkbox be global. I am just exporting my playlists so that SqueezeCenter can then use them. In my case I want SqueezeCenter to have access to the AutoPlaylists that I create, so that's why I'm exporting everything. I think typically folks are going to want to automate this with the same settings that they would use for a manual export; but I'm sure there will be one-off requests eventually!
Especially since I like to use Bex's Add/Remove Playstats script to adjust the playcounts for the tracks that I listened to in Winamp to be updated in MM. Anal I know but I could spend hours listening in Winamp, and I use my playstats for playlist adjustments and such so I do not want to lose them.
On a side note, Nyn, how are you importing playcounts from Winamp back into MM? Are the playcounts written to the file, or are you pulling them from something like Last.FM? I have the same problem, except that I'm listening with my Squeezebox Receiver on my home stereo. Could you write up a quick 30 second explanation of your process?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

squeezemonkey wrote:
On a side note, Nyn, how are you importing playcounts from Winamp back into MM? Are the playcounts written to the file, or are you pulling them from something like Last.FM? I have the same problem, except that I'm listening with my Squeezebox Receiver on my home stereo. Could you write up a quick 30 second explanation of your process?
Nothing as fancy as that. Although I use separate playlists to listen in Winamp, I will just take all those tracks and export to another playlist called "played today". Then I import that into MM and use the Add Plays Timestamp X of Bex's script to add the playcount to the tracks in the playlist. To avoid problems I try to only listen to the same track once in Winamp, in order to avoid trying to figure out which ones should have multiple plays added. I suppose I could turn on scrobbling in Winamp and use Pstryker7's import LastFM script but I do not want to do anything to mess up my scrobbling in MM and the LastFM playcounts are not as important to me as they are in MM.

Nyn

ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

nynaevelan wrote:Personally, I would like to have the option available for both the manual and auto methods. But I am not sure how it is being used for Squeezemonkey or other users. Do some users prefer to have different export options when running manually or automatically??
Well, I think that we should not complicate this, especially because mentioned option is not the only one which could be duplicated. If you go with this logic, maybe someone wants to have different option "Extended .m3u format" for those two modes. I suppose this script would be mainly used in just one mode, manual or automatic. Even if someone wants to use it in both modes, I doubt s/he would need different options.

By the way, you didn't give me a description how you want to get your parent folders with the automatic export every day. Do you want folders with only date/time in the name of folder, or you want some more text before it? Maybe you want same name as parent playlist which is specified in the From edit box? For example, if you have specified From: Playlists, then the parent folder could be "Playlists - 2009-04-20".
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:Personally, I would like to have the option available for both the manual and auto methods. But I am not sure how it is being used for Squeezemonkey or other users. Do some users prefer to have different export options when running manually or automatically??
Well, I think that we should not complicate this, especially because mentioned option is not the only one which could be duplicated. If you go with this logic, maybe someone wants to have different option "Extended .m3u format" for those two modes. I suppose this script would be mainly used in just one mode, manual or automatic. Even if someone wants to use it in both modes, I doubt s/he would need different options.

By the way, you didn't give me a description how you want to get your parent folders with the automatic export every day. Do you want folders with only date/time in the name of folder, or you want some more text before it? Maybe you want same name as parent playlist which is specified in the From edit box? For example, if you have specified From: Playlists, then the parent folder could be "Playlists - 2009-04-20".
Just a date would work for me because the script will already be pointed to the Playlists parent folder.

ZvezdanD

Re: Export M3U/Playlists for Child Nodes 2.5 (2009-04-20)[MM2+3]

Post by ZvezdanD »

There is a new update: v2.5 - 2009-04-20
- Added: option for an automatic export on startup;
- Added: option to create a new folder with a date/time in its name for every auto-export.

It is not exactly same as we talked, but I think this is more flexible. Instead of an option to create new folders on each day, there is another one which is in effect for every automatic export. So, if you want to automatically export playlists every day, you should choose Every: 1440 min.
nynaevelan

Re: Export M3U/Playlists for Child Nodes 2.5 (2009-04-20)[MM2+3]

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:
It is not exactly same as we talked, but I think this is more flexible. Instead of an option to create new folders on each day, there is another one which is in effect for every automatic export. So, if you want to automatically export playlists every day, you should choose Every: 1440 min.
This option will not work for me because it seems each time you re-start MM the timer starts over again, which would lead to more than one export a day. The startup option could result in multiple exports each day so either way they both have flaws but the startup option is more controllable. But the main thing to remember is now I have an automated way of ensuring I have each day's playlists exported, so I am grateful for your additions. Thank you.

EDIT: When you use the manual method, does it also create the dated folder??

Nyn