Install DFX In MediaMonkey

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MCSmarties

Re: Install DFX In MediaMonkey

Post by MCSmarties »

paulmt wrote:(...)If as you say there is no option to define a path try putting the "fake" winamp.exe in c:\program files\winamp\ assuming (dangerously again) that c: is your root drive.
That's a good idea, I will try it tonight.

Unfortunately, I have a hunch that the new DFX must be checking for Winamp in the Windows registry, in which case this won't work...

One more thing I could try to do is to actually install Winamp, install DFX for it and then somehow "transfer" the files over to the MM installation. It's a pain to be sure, and I don't understand why DFX doesn't make a specific version for MM. I'd assume there would be a big enough user base for that by now! Ditch the Musicmatch version and replace it with a Mediamonkey one... :D

Anyway, I'll fool around a bit more tonight and then report back.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Seems that DFX 9.1 crashes Winamp too.
See comnents: http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/221945/reviews

Also, make sure the plugin is Winamp 2.x/3 compatible, otherwise for winamp 5 it will not work in MM.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Thanks for the information, Eyal.

Well that settles it then - no DFX for me. I've been using Jammix for a long time anyway,
but I figured I should try out the new version of DFX to see what has improved... not much, apparently!!
smurfmeat

Post by smurfmeat »

DFX 9.1 is working fine for me. I'm running Windows 7 RC1 with the latest version of MM. I don't have Winamp installed at all.

1). I just created a folder called 'Winamp' in my Program Files directory and placed winamp.exe (a text file, as stated in previous posts) in this folder. That was enough to trick DFX into thinking Winamp was installed.

2). I could then point the installer to my MM directory. Once I started up MM and enabled the DFX plugin, it crashed on me, but I restarted again and clicked slowly, only once, to enable it, and after a few seconds, the DFX window popped up. It also took quite a few seconds for any changes within DFX to register, ie changing presets took maybe 5-10 seconds before I could hear a difference. Just as a precaution, I manually placed dsp_dfx.dll in the MM plugins directory.

At any rate, it's all working for me. :) Hope this helps and prevents people from not using MM with DFX.
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Hey, thanks for the tip smurfmeat! Will try it out when I get the chance.
smurfmeat

Post by smurfmeat »

Grr, never mind. I tried it on another computer with the same setup but it didn't work. I must've had some remnant of winamp installed but I thought I deleted everything.

The only way I can get it to work for me is to install winamp lite with as few options as possible and then install DFX to MM directory as mentioned above. I then uninstalled winamp completely. DFX is still installed and runs well with MM. Why DFX can't make a proper installer and boost their sales is beyond me...
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

smurfmeat wrote:Grr, never mind. I tried it on another computer with the same setup but it didn't work. I must've had some remnant of winamp installed but I thought I deleted everything. (...)
LOL my condolences! :D

It's like I thought, their stupid installer must check for Winamp in the registry.
I'd rather not add a fake key to a non-existing program in there... I'll stick with Jammix after all.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

smurfmeat wrote:Grr, never mind. I tried it on another computer with the same setup but it didn't work. I must've had some remnant of winamp installed but I thought I deleted everything.

The only way I can get it to work for me is to...
- Install winamp lite with as few options as possible
- Then install DFX to MM directory as mentioned above.
- I then uninstalled winamp completely.
- DFX is still installed and runs well with MM.
In any case, if the above (which I have bullet pointed) works, then it is a fix and an easy one at that.

I can't try it yet as I am working away from home and don't have DFX available on this laptop.
Thanks for the tip...
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
dre12b

Post by dre12b »

This worked:

1) Downloaded the latest version of DFX (9.2.03), installed winamp, then DFX.
2) Copied dsp_dfx.dll from Winamp\Plugins directory to MediaMonkey\Plugins.
3) Uninstalled Winamp.
4) On the recommendation of someone, somewhere on this forum, used regedit to edit the DFX key at HKEY_Local_Machine>Software>DFX>11>host_plugin_folder and top_host_folder. Just double click on the key and then edit to replace Winamp in the folder path with MediaMonkey.
5) Opened MM, Options>Player>DSP-plugins, selected DFX. Clicked on configure and was grateful for the option to kill the horrid DFX window.

I'm running MM 3.1.2.1267 on Windows 7. No problems with MM or DFX so far. I AM experiencing the delay between activating DFX options and hearing the adjustment in playback.

I'm not sure steps 2 and 4 were necessary, but it worked. Someone should sticky this thread. It's maddening trying to sort through all of the worthless threads on DFX installation to find a post with a solution. Particularly since most are outdated and recommend getting DFX 8.3, which is not readily available (or necessary). Or I'm the only one who searches through google rather than using the forum's search?

An aside, do folks find that DFX significantly improves sound quality on high bitrate MP3s? I'm still trying to decide.
Jaikrishna

Post by Jaikrishna »

Don't struggle too much for this.
Just download winamp lite(3 Mb only) from http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/cli ... _en-us.exe
Install it.
Then open DFX for Winamp and install it too.
Then copy C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\dsp_dfx.dll (or similar location to which you installed winamp) to C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Plugins\ (or similar Media monkey installation folder).
Then open Mediamonkey. Go to Tools> Options> DSP plugins > and check "DFX" from the list. [[[Not DeFX]]]
That's done.
Peke

Post by Peke »

As of DFX v9.300 there is special plugin for MediaMonkey HERE
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts