Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Re: Genre Finder 4.1 [MM2+3]

Post by trixmoto »

The data from Last.Fm includes a percentage (or at least 100 is the largest value I've seen) which is labelled "match". It certainly seems to be the case from my testing that this value represents how good the value is, probably based on the number of people who have this tag. The setting in this script allows you to specify a minimum value, to improve the accuracy of the results.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

@trixmoto
I just stumbled over this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=35466
Apparently last.fm also offers information about the mood, occasion, etc. of a song.
Do you think you can make your script searching for those, too?

How awesome would it be to have an auto-DJ, who knows the mood of music?
Most awesome, I guess :)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Last.Fm does not hold these values specifically, it stores "tags" which are generic. You can use this script and a serious of different whitelists appropriate to each field to get this information organised.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
bmd85

Post by bmd85 »

I am getting " product instalation error. " what should I do?
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

If you're on Vista you need to run MM as administrator first and then run the script install package normally. :)
Stop Button Freak

Post by Guest »

Just came across this plugin. Been trying it for a few days now and can't seem to quite get a grasp on in it. I've read through the whole thread but can't seem to find consensus on everything. For clarification:

STARTING OUT
- If I were to set Use Top Results to 5 and search by Artist and leave everything else as default, it'd merely scan last.fm for the 5 most comman tags for the artist?
- How does minimum level affect this?

COMPLETED INITIAL SCAN
- My assumtion is that I can whittle the dead wood away (60s, 2007, My Albums etc...) via a blacklist of these terms? How would I export the genre list so I could simply cut/paste the useless genres into a black list?
- How strict is the white list? eg: i've tried putting all my preffered genre's (Rock, Drum & Bass etc...) for it to search for, and yet it spits back all kind of things still.
-If I were to input my preferred genre's and set minimum level to 100, will it only return those genre's I selected?
-Once white/black lists are configured, you run the script again to complete the tagging process?

Forgiveness if these are n00b questions, but I genuinely want to get this up and running as it's an amazing plugin. Well done to Trixmoto on this one. Would it be possible for someone to put a general step-by-step method for using this script? I've got a massive library and need all the help I can get :)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Firstly, thanks, I'm glad you like this script. Now, to the questions...

1) Yes, setting "use top results" to 5 in artist "run mode" will query the artist of each track and only look at the top 5 tags, however you need to tick the "tag with multiple values" option to actually tag the track with all 5.

2) The "minimum match" value is compared against a value in the Last.Dm data source which I believe is their indication of how many people (percentage) agree with this tag value.

3) Yes, you can add values to ignore using a black list. It is on my list for the next version to allow some way of selecting values from the current values in the database, but this is not possible yet.

4) The white list is extremely strict. If it's set up correctly you should definitely not be getting "all kind of things". Maybe you could set the "log level" higher and then email me the "GenreFinder.log" file from your %TEMP% directory to demonstrate what you mean?

5) If you input your preferred genres as a white list then you should only get these. Setting the "minimum match" to 100 will only use values which everyone on Last.Fm agrees with, as discussed in (2).

6) Yes, you will need to re-run the script after changing the options. Due to the caching in artist and album run modes you may also need to restart MM for them to take affect.

Hope this helps! :)

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the response Trix. It's cleared things up. I'll give it a go soon. Is it possible to export a list of all genres found so I can simply cut and paste a white list? Otherwise i'll be there for days manually typing everything I want to keep into the white list.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

All genres found where? If you want to use all the genres currently in your library then you can use "*" as the whitelist.
mohikaani

Post by mohikaani »

Would it be possible to include http://www.discogs.com as a genre/style source? I guess macrbests' Discogs Auto-Tag web search might useful to do that.

I think that Discogs is more like "an official genre source" rather than Last.fm which is just a list of tags that people have put there. Also it would be nifty to save both genre AND style but I think to different fields e.g. custom 1 and 2.
Windows 7 | MediaMonkey 3.2.0.1294
Dell Studio 1537 (Core 2 Duo T6400, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3450)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well it's likely to mean a big re-working of the script as it's designed around the Last.Fm architecture, but I have added it to my list to take a look at.
Kevinowpb

Post by Kevinowpb »

Terminating the script...

I come across about 1 out of 20 songs where the script freezes.. (in the task bar on bottom... with VBS errors popping up..).. right clicking to TERMINATE never works... what can I do?

Thanks!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well once the error pops up it will stop running so won't be checking for the terminate any more. What are the errors?
Kevinowpb

Post by Kevinowpb »

ill let you know next time i get 'em..

got one:

Error # -2147418113 -SongsDB.SDBDatabase
Error executing SQL Statement "COMMIT" : not an error (100, 21)
File: "C:\Program Files\Mediamonkey\Scripts\Auto\GenreFinder.vbs", Line: 533, Column: 4
click ok----
Next:
Error happened during script execution:
Error executing SQL statement "COMMIT" : not an error (100, 21)

ok.
then the track bar on the bottom of MM is frozen on the last track (in this case 29/104... Artist Ratatat)

And will stay there indefinitely until I restart MM.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Are you sure you're using version 4.1? The reason I ask is because line 533 does not contain a "commit", but line 527 does. Modified the script in anyway?