What is backed up in metadata?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

danc6433

What is backed up in metadata?

Post by danc6433 »

Hello,
I was wondering if date last played and play count are saved in metadata? I just transferred my music collection to another computer, loaded up MM, and it is not showing this info (though both fields are there). It is showing the saved rating, occasion, quality, etc. This was only a test for when this computer eventually crashes, but it didn't appear to work. Is there a way to achieve this?

I back up my computer nightly so when I do upgrade I would like these stats "stored" in the file.

Thanks much!
nohitter151

Re: What is backed up in metadata?

Post by nohitter151 »

No, those fields aren't saved in tags. For a full list see the MM help file http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... erties.htm
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
danc6433

Post by danc6433 »

That's what I figured. So is it possible, with any sort of program (or script or something) to included that info?

You would think keeping track of times played and date last played would be more popular than some of the tags it does save.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

danc6433 wrote:That's what I figured. So is it possible, with any sort of program (or script or something) to included that info?

You would think keeping track of times played and date last played would be more popular than some of the tags it does save.
Not with MM. I guess it's important info but I'm not sure if there's any standard to define how that info would be saved. It would also cause a big confusion if you end up sharing the tracks with other users.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Funkafonik

Post by Funkafonik »

danc6433 wrote:That's what I figured. So is it possible, with any sort of program (or script or something) to included that info?

I'm sure you're not the only one thinking that, playcounts and last played dates are 2 of the most important tags, yet, they're still not saved anywhere...
The only solution I've found so far is to use Last.FM as your "backup". You can then use the Playcounts Importer script that downloads back your playcounts and last played date.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
danc6433

Post by danc6433 »

That is very cool and just might work...thanks!

One question...kind of a novice...is this something I would use once my computer crashes (or I replace), or is this a script I would add prior to that happening?
Judging by the word "restore" I would think that you wouldn't have to worry about it until it actually happens?
Thanks
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

danc6433 wrote:is this something I would use once my computer crashes (or I replace), or is this a script I would add prior to that happening?
Judging by the word "restore" I would think that you wouldn't have to worry about it until it actually happens?
This add-on could restore/merge mentioned parts of the database (play history, playlists...), but you need to have the backup copy
(copies) of the database file which you should made previously before the computer crashes. To make a backup(s) of your database you could use Trixmoto's Backup add-on or you could just manually copy the c:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB file to some safe location.

By the way, if you want to store Playcount and LastTimePlayed data into some Custom fields of audio files (and vice versa), you could use the RegExp Find and Replace add-on. For example, there is a predefined preset "Assign Last played date/time in ISO 8601 format to <Into Field>...", where the <Into Field> could be any field that you specify.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2