MaFt

Re: MM 4 Alpha Testing

Post by MaFt »

i have a few questions:

will mm4 have improved features?

will it have a new version number?

will it play music?

will it work on a computer?

will it include the all important 'play' button?

will it be released when it's ready?

thanks for your time :D :o :wink:

MaFt
http://maft.co.uk
kcmc20

Post by kcmc20 »

LOL Great questions. Really cracked me up. An obvious Apple fan boy. You have a nice site though. Cheers
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

kcmc20 wrote:LOL Great questions. Really cracked me up. An obvious Apple fan boy. You have a nice site though. Cheers
apple fan boy?! ha!! lol

i have an iphone that was given to me for free and a macbook pro that was, again, a freebie. i'm still a windows boy at heart but with a small love of apple. officially i'm one of those in-betweeners. both have their pro's and cons but mainly i opt for windows!

MaFt
Anamon

Post by Anamon »

Do not give in to the temptation of switching to the dark side :evil:

:P

Quite honestly, MediaMonkey is a reason I often bring up when explaining why I couldn't switch to another operating system at the moment. In Wine under Linux it works only without skins. I tried. Not a viable alternative :lol:

Oh yeah, I'm also looking forward to testing v4. I love MM so much that I'm always looking forward to new stuff... no matter what it is, haha. It's unreal how much a little piece of software changed things for me (I now listen to music, instead of constantly misplacing and looking for it) at the ridiculously low price I paid for my lifetime license.
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

Anamon wrote: at the ridiculously low price I paid for my lifetime license.
yeah, i always feel bad about that - as though i should have paid more, or been offered the chance to make a donation at every major new release....!!

MaFt
Peke

Post by Peke »

From what I know Element5 allow you to purchase MM as a gift to someone ;)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
markontour
Location: Houston, Texas, USA, N America, W Hesmisphere, Earth, Milky Way

Post by markontour »

Any word on when we'll see MM4? I mean, it's been forever (or 4 months) since our last update. I can't wait for my videos to be integrated, and what other new features we'll see.

:-?
We're all Fool's for something; I'm a Fool for music, what are you a Fool for?

Machines:
1)OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64-based | Phys Mem: 8.00 GB | Processor: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core, 2200 Mhz
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

When there's word, you'll hear it!!
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
mtnkodiak

Post by mtnkodiak »

gpzbc wrote:Those are long lists of features and bug/fixes. And there are some very interesting new features in that list.
I can't wait!
I have become rather fixated on the skip count feature: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6246

It's really the only thing holding me back from creating a perfect "radio station" auto-playlist, like I had back when I used iT*nes. C'mon, beta phase! :D
MnM

Post by MnM »

Is there any word on UPnP AV support in MM4? It's been mooted, but I don't see it anywhere in those issues lists :(

Matt
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MnM wrote:Is there any word on UPnP AV support in MM4? It's been mooted, but I don't see it anywhere in those issues lists :(

Matt
Yes. http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=534
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MnM

Post by MnM »

Aha! Thanks nohitter.

I have a Linn DS player, so I already have UPnP AV server software running on my PC, and UPnP control point software which runs on my laptop. The Linn player is the UPnP AV renderer. I want to use MM as a UPnP AV control point running on the laptop, because MM's UI is so good. But, from the snippets I've read about MM4, I get the idea that the UPnP AV support is to make MM a software UPnP AV renderer, so that it can access music libraries over the network via UPnP and play them locally.

Soz to repeat UPnP AV a thousand times... do you know how it's going to be implemented? Edit: I read through that issue log and couldn't see for myself, may well have missed something though.

Thanks,
Matt
botijo

Post by botijo »

Hey, Matt,
I think you got the names wrong. There are two things here: UPNP A/V Media Server and Media Renderer. But there is also what I call the Media Browser that is just that. From what I get of the Ventis issue comments, MM4 is going to be the three of them at the same time. It looks like it will even spawn different Media Servers with different settings and might react differently depending on the client (e.g. Xbox360 is not fully UPNP compliant).
If you activate the Media Renderer part in MM4, then you should be able to use an UPNP Controller and issue commands to MM player.
So, as far as I see, everything is covered.
Except for a release date.
MnM

Post by MnM »

Hi Botijo,

I did get them wrong, but there's definitely three!

Media Server, Media Renderer, and Control Point. I use them every day!

The UPnP Architecture overview is pretty concise: http://upnp.org/specs/av/UPnP-av-AVArch ... 020625.pdf

Not meaning to be petty, sorry if it sounds like that, I'm not going for it :) Just very keen to be able to have MM control the Linn DS. I see what you mean about MM4 being all three at the same time, that could be cool for me, as then it would hopefully be able to act just as one of them. In my case, I'm after the control point functionality, as the Linn DS player is the media renderer (and x thousands of pounds worth of it too :o )

My last question was going to be whether the devs have considered the Linn UPnP AV extensions, which allow gapless playback and some other essentials. The extensions are opensource and non-breaking, so worth a look.

Cheers,
Matt

Post by Guest »

I see that the following bug has been resolved in version 4:
"Focus tracklist on currently playing item" does not work in AA + details view
This was one of my biggest requests and it's nice to see that it is being addressed in the new version. My question is will the focus tracklist on currently playing item work when a filter is being applied (I.e. a Nirvana song is currently playing but within the track browser i have only U2 songs being displayed)?

Having the 'focus tracklist on currently playing item' functionality available in the different views is only half the issue. I hope that it also deals with search filters and will remove them if necessary so that i will indeed be taken to the currently playing song.