Latest Apple Device support

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

jiri

Latest Apple Device support

Post by jiri »

Hi,

MM 3.2.2 currently supports all the iPods/iPhones, except for the 3 latest models. Status of their support is as follows:

iPod Touch 4th gen - updated device plug-in is available for beta testing at http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPhone.dll - please let us know your results.

iPod Shuffle 4th gen - updated device plug-in is available for beta testing at http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPod.dll - please let us know your results.

iPod Nano 6th gen - not supported yet, we are working on this, there will hopefully be some results in ~2 weeks.

Both testing versions of device plug-ins are supposed to be used on MM 3.2.2.

Jiri
jamesb9

Re: Latest iPods support

Post by jamesb9 »

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I have the latest iPod Touch 64GB which wasn't even recognized by MM as reported by others. After installing the new d_iPhone.dll, MM crashed on the first run but hasn't had a major problem since. MM does seem to hang a bit more than usual when starting with the iPod connected but I haven't measured details. The device is now recognized along with the name assigned when first registered with iTunes. I can browse the device using the Music Explorer Tree and see all appropriate data. However, there seems to be a synch problem (apparently in the device database update).

When synching a single track, muliple tracks, or playlists to the deving using the Send To option they appear to copy and the iPod shows synching. Afterwards, the tracks show on the device when browsing in the Music Explorer Tree. When browsing on the iPod though the tracks and playlists do not appear. I started iTunes with the device connected and the tracks showed on the device in the iTunes view and then were accessible on the device as well. I configured AutoSynch for one playlist and got the same results. All is fine after a single connection to iTunes after one or more synchs. It seems that some device database update routine is not firing properly after the synch.

Let me know if there is more info that would be helpful.
Peke

Post by Peke »

from what I know Jiri is working on optimization for database manipulations and all details are more than welcome.

THX for info.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
RERobbins

Post by RERobbins »

The dll allows MediaMonkey to see my iTouch, but music doesn't show up on the device itself after a sync. If I connect a bit and fuss with iTunes then the music seems to appear.
notspace

Post by notspace »

Appears the same here. Exact same scenario. I will guess it has something to do with the "force itunes names" option (or whatever it is) being unavailable in this dll.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Since I don't have the device at this moment, could you please e-mail me the content of its /iTunes_Control folder after synchronization of just 1 track by iTunes, please? There are probably several tools to access its filesystem, I use T-PoT plug-in for TotalCommander.

Thanks,
Jiri
cdabs

Re: Latest iPods support -- my 4th gen. iPod Touch experienc

Post by cdabs »

What I did and what happened:

1. MM doesn't recognize 4th gen. iPod Touch.
2. Download latest plug-in.
3. Re-open MM, still doesn't recognize device.
4. Reinstall MM.
5. MM recognizes device and syncs.
6. MM tree now shows all the audio I synced to device. Device shows no audio content. iTunes does not indicate any device memory being utilized by audio content.
7. Try to sync again, but MM shows device already is synced.
8. Close and re-open MM. Now MM doesn't recognize device.
9. While I rack my brains over next thing to try, device is still plugged into computer, and iTunes and MM are both open. Suddenly, device wakes up and shows 'sync in process,' which freaks me out cuz I haven't done anything?!
10. Try to cancel unknown sync using device. Go to iTunes, which shows shows sync being cancelled, ALSO now indicates lots of device memory being utilized by audio content.
11. Turn on device, which now contains audio content I'd tried to sync from MM.
12. Since MM doesn't recognize device again, I won't be doing any of this again anytime soon.

BTW, running Windows Vista, in case that makes a difference to anybody.
Notspace

Post by Notspace »

Don't have MM and Itunes open at the same time. See quote, below:
cdabs wrote:9. While I rack my brains over next thing to try, device is still plugged into computer, and iTunes and MM are both open. Suddenly, device wakes up and shows 'sync in process,' which freaks me out cuz I haven't done anything?!
They will conflict. This is probably whats causing your issue. I can verify this process works on a brand new 32g touch:

1. install the .dll in the mm plugins directory.
2. make sure itunes is not running and it is not set to auto run when you plug in your device.
3. start mm,
4. Synch some music from mm.
5. close mm.
6. open itunes.
7. itunes updates the database on your device.
8. music appears on device.
9. enjoy music.

Its some extra steps, but at least we dont have to maintain a library in itunes to load up our devices now.
Dirac

Post by Dirac »

Jiri,

iPod shuffle 4th gen works great so far with the new d_iPod.dll. This is the first iPod shuffle I've owned so I can't compare it to the previous gen's behavior in MediaMonkey, but sync, auto-conversion, volume leveling and voice tagging all work as expected.

I did not replace the iPhone .dll as I have a 3G and that is working fine with 3.2.2.1300.

Thanks!
BlakeSauner

Post by BlakeSauner »

Notspace wrote:Don't have MM and Itunes open at the same time. See quote, below:
cdabs wrote:9. While I rack my brains over next thing to try, device is still plugged into computer, and iTunes and MM are both open. Suddenly, device wakes up and shows 'sync in process,' which freaks me out cuz I haven't done anything?!
They will conflict. This is probably whats causing your issue. I can verify this process works on a brand new 32g touch:

1. install the .dll in the mm plugins directory.
2. make sure itunes is not running and it is not set to auto run when you plug in your device.
3. start mm,
4. Synch some music from mm.
5. close mm.
6. open itunes.
7. itunes updates the database on your device.
8. music appears on device.
9. enjoy music.

Its some extra steps, but at least we dont have to maintain a library in itunes to load up our devices now.
I followed these steps to a T, the last time I used MM to toss my music on to my new 32GB 4th gen iPod Touch. No issues with the sync actually happening or itunes recognizing the music when I went to sync some new apps/etc.

HOWEVER.
Artwork, for the albums, is all strange. Even though media monkey recognizes all of it correctly, only about 5 album covers from the ~200 albums I synced actually appear on the device, but when scrolling through album view, artwork for one of those covers will appear on multiple albums randomly, wrong artists though.

for example, I get -Tons- of the "music note" (no artwork) for most of the albums but even for say, the Black Keys, A Perfect Circle, and Nine Inch Nails albums, they ALL have the album artwork for one of the A Perfect Circle albums.

Strange stuff, but I'm a patient person, I'm sure it'll all be worked out, I'm just happy MM can recognize my ipod again. :)

If you want any other information, let me know.
Eeee

Post by Eeee »

jiri wrote:Hi,

MM 3.2.2 currently supports all the iPods/iPhones, except for the 3 latest models. Status of their support is as follows:

iPod Touch 4th gen - updated device plug-in is available for beta testing at http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPhone.dll - please let us know your results.

iPod Shuffle 4th gen - updated device plug-in is available for beta testing at http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPod.dll - please let us know your results.

iPod Nano 6th gen - not supported yet, we are working on this, there will hopefully be some results in ~2 weeks.

Jiri
Hey Jiri, how's the progress on MM support for th touchscreen nano?
CNBDRagon

Post by CNBDRagon »

I installed the new d_iPhone.dll in to MM 3.2.2.1300 and every time i plug my ipod touch 64gb 4th gen MM crashes. It doesn't crash with my 2nd gen.

I have tried rebooting and that didn't help.

I would realy like the abillity to use MM for my new IPod.
omiklos2

Post by omiklos2 »

The new d_iphone.dll kind of work on my system (Vista PC + Ipod Touch 4G 64gb) but at the condition that I respect a very precise routine. It took me a long time and many many crashes to figure out what were the necessary steps to have MM work with the Ipod touch.

1) plug in the Ipod
2) launch Itunes
3) inside Itunes, hide (or deconnect ?) the Ipod
4) close Itunes
5) open MM

Any reopening of MM implies to start the routine again from the begining.

The synchronisation launched in MM (very slow) has no immediate effect on the Ipod, unless it is immediatly followed by an opening of Itunes that will launch it's own synchronisation (very fast).

So, its' quite a hassle, but it works...
floflo

Post by floflo »

Hi there
Any chance the the MM support for the touchscreen nano 6th Gen will be there soon?
A feedback on a forecast from the dev. would be appreciated.

Using iTunes is just too bad...

Thanks.
see-beyond-me

Post by see-beyond-me »

jiri wrote:Hi,

Jiri
What is the 'official' take on above models ? I think they're quite popular and I don't see any 'official' statement that says, yes those will be supported, plan is version x.x which should be released on xx-yy-zzzz. The only thing so far are some beta '.dll' which kind of work for some people and not for others but with no follow-up on those problems for quite some time now, which opens the question if there is still going some effort in supporting those iPod's in question.

rgds
/MD