NewBe

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Digitaldave

NewBe

Post by Digitaldave »

I spent quite a lot of time organizing my library of 3800 odd songs (which i thought was big HA!) and was handed a 500 gig drive with 90526 songs all nicely orgainzed everywhich way you can think of ie Billboard top 100 from 1950 to 2005, Classic Rock, Rap, Country all by album and artist. My questions are as follows:

1) can MediaMonkey handle that much music without bogging down?
2) Whats the best way to orginize the music without screwing up his organization of the folders.
3) Can the entire libary reside on another portable drive? (I have all the songs on a 1T drive in a hot swapable drive bay and would like to leave it that way if possible).

I hope i have thought of everything to ask however chime in if there's something I may have missed.

Your help is sinserely appreciated.

Dave.
Dreadlau

Re: NewBe

Post by Dreadlau »

Without problem. It's fairly small actually compared to some Mediamonkey user's library.
For example I have about 30K songs in my library. And it runs smoothly. Some users reported running MM with more than 200K songs!
2) Whats the best way to orginize the music without screwing up his organization of the folders.
If you want to keep your folder structure intact. Tagging your tracks will get you to a nicely organized library. And it won't alter your files names or your folder structure.
3) Can the entire libary reside on another portable drive? (I have all the songs on a 1T drive in a hot swapable drive bay and would like to leave it that way if possible).

Yes.
Be aware tho that Mediamonkey use the drive ID instead of the drive letter to recognize the drives.
Last edited by Dreadlau on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The larger the library the better the PC you want for good performance. Some operations require processing a lot of data so naturally a faster PC does better.
digital dave

Post by digital dave »

You mentioned that it uses the drive I'd and not the letter. What impact does that have? And how do you tag the tracks?
Digital dave

Post by Digital dave »

Dreadlau wrote:
Without problem. It's fairly small actually compared to some Mediamonkey user's library.
For example I have about 30K songs in my library. And it runs smoothly. Some users reported running MM with more than 200K songs!
If you want to keep your folder structure intact. Tagging your tracks will get you to a nicely organized library. And it won't alter your files names or your folder structure.

Yes.
Be aware tho that Mediamonkey use the drive ID instead of the drive letter to recognize the drives.
Sorry I was replying on my phone and forgot to quote.
Digital dave

Post by Digital dave »

Lowlander wrote:The larger the library the better the PC you want for good performance. Some operations require processing a lot of data so naturally a faster PC does better.
That would make sense and I think I have that covered. I have notices that sound analyzing would probably take a fair amount of time.

Thanks
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

digital dave wrote:You mentioned that it uses the drive I'd and not the letter. What impact does that have?

The impact is that:
If you disconnect your drive and reconnect it later. There is a chance that Windows assign a new letter to it. (for example it could change from "I:" to "J:" )
In the case of that event Mediamonkey would be unable to locate the tracks and they would appear in Grey in the Mediamonkey library.
And you wouldn't be able to play them from Mediamonkey.
digital dave wrote:And how do you tag the tracks?
If you look at the main panel in Mediamonkey you'll see several columns with headers.
Each headers is corresponding to one type of tag. (for example: track, album, artist, genre, year, rating, ...)
You can edit the tags of a track or a selection of several track by doing: right click --> properties

There are several ways of tagging tracks. It's a vast subject.
I'll see if I can find some helping guides to further help you with that matter.
digital dave wrote:That would make sense and I think I have that covered. I have notices that sound analyzing would probably take a fair amount of time.
The volume analyzing for 90K tracks will take a lot of time indeed ( probably several days ).
While Mediamonkey is analyzing track volume, you're computer will probably feel a bit slow and sluggish.
The reason is that this operation needs a lot of computing power.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Dreadlau wrote:If you disconnect your drive and reconnect it later. There is a chance that Windows assign a new letter to it. (for example it could change from "I:" to "J:" )
In the case of that event Mediamonkey would be unable to locate the tracks and they would appear in Grey in the Mediamonkey library.
Actually the nice thing about using DriveID is that when you connect the drive and it has a different drive letter that it still works in MediaMonkey. The drive letter is not important and as long as Windows doesn't change the DriveID (this seems to happen with mapped drives, but I haven't seen issues with external drives) MediaMonkey will still see the songs. This is the big benefit of using DriveID.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Lowlander wrote:
Dreadlau wrote:If you disconnect your drive and reconnect it later. There is a chance that Windows assign a new letter to it. (for example it could change from "I:" to "J:" )
Actually the nice thing about using DriveID is that when you connect the drive and it has a different drive letter that it still works in MediaMonkey. The drive letter is not important and as long as Windows doesn't change the DriveID (this seems to happen with mapped drives, but I haven't seen issues with external drives) MediaMonkey will still see the songs. This is the big benefit of using DriveID.
Oh sorry my mistake. :oops:
Digitaldave

Post by Digitaldave »

Dreadlau wrote:
digital dave wrote:You mentioned that it uses the drive I'd and not the letter. What impact does that have?

The impact is that:
If you disconnect your drive and reconnect it later. There is a chance that Windows assign a new letter to it. (for example it could change from "I:" to "J:" )
digital dave wrote:And how do you tag the tracks?
If you look at the main panel in Mediamonkey you'll see several columns with headers.
Each headers is corresponding to one type of tag. (for example: track, album, artist, genre, year, rating, ...)
You can edit the tags of a track or a selection of several track by doing: right click --> properties

There are several ways of tagging tracks. It's a vast subject.
I'll see if I can find some helping guides to further help you with that matter.
digital dave wrote:That would make sense and I think I have that covered. I have notices that sound analyzing would probably take a fair amount of time.
The volume analyzing for 90K tracks will take a lot of time indeed ( probably several days ).
While Mediamonkey is analyzing track volume, you're computer will probably feel a bit slow and sluggish.
The reason is that this operation needs a lot of computing power.
Thats great information thanks and the drive lettering makes total sense and acctually would be a bonus. The more I use Media Monkey the more I love it. The forum group seems to be very helpful also (unlike some forums I have been on).
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

ok here is some introduction to the concept of tagging and media library:

1: wikipedia entry for "tag editor": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_editor

2: Mediamonkey Digital music faq: http://www.mediamonkey.com/mp3-ogg-wma-audio-faq.htm

Where to find tagging sites:

Mediamonkey Wiki: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... arch_Sites

How to use Mediamonkey to tag and organize your library:

Mediamonkey online help: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/frame/index.html
( read especially "Editing Tracks" )

Hope that helps.
And welcome to Mediamonkey :D
Digitaldave

Post by Digitaldave »

Dreadlau wrote:ok here is some introduction to the concept of tagging and media library:

1: wikipedia entry for "tag editor": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_editor

2: Mediamonkey Digital music faq: http://www.mediamonkey.com/mp3-ogg-wma-audio-faq.htm

Where to find tagging sites:

Mediamonkey Wiki: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... arch_Sites

How to use Mediamonkey to tag and organize your library:

Mediamonkey online help: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/frame/index.html
( read especially "Editing Tracks" )

Hope that helps.
And welcome to Mediamonkey :D

Thanks a lot. I just purchaced the Gold addition Life time and will review your links. I started tagging some of the files yesterday and got a feel for it however it would be nice if they have some instructions on how to so it quicker. I'll check the links and get back if i have any problems.

Thanks again