MM feature wishlist: playback, track browser, search feature

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

beg

MM feature wishlist: playback, track browser, search feature

Post by beg »

Hi,

I am using MM gold extensively for private and professional use. There are some things I'd love to see in the new version of MM:

First, one of the most important things - output stability is worked on and I think it's crucial to get this right! I experienced severe output problems in combination of auto-playlists. Also none of the volume level features worked stable as the first support inquiry of any unstable output was to turn them off. (e.g. player's level playback volume). Would be great if it works in the new version! The very first and most important "feature" is to have a stable output of highest possible quality!

More information in Track Browser:
- a possibility to see e.g. long albumnames in the track browser. If the name is longer than the displayed line there is no way to see the rest of the album name. Would be enough to make the Tooltip function working within the track browser too.
- It would be great to have a colums in the Track Browser displaying the number of tracks for each line. Like it does in the first line for "All" (xxx-Items). It would be great to have the (xxx-items) in each line for the different genres, interprets and albums! E.g. to distinguish Albums with only one item from others with ~20 tracks in the Album view of the Track Browser.

Flexible Search/Album display option:
- one thing I am missing while browsing/searching my huge collection of songs is this feature: When I am searching for a song via search form and get several tracks as results, quite often I'd like to be able to choose all songs from one certain CD which has the previously searched track on it. Let's say I search for tracks including "Blues" in title. I get a list with titles including "Blues" and the Track Browser will display the corresponding Albums. But since the search was "Blues" clicking on one of the Albums comes up with that one track only. For me it would be great to have a 1-2 click option to get all tracks of one of the CDs including that track "Blues" in order to see also the other tracks on that CD. For now I copy the album name and paste it in the search bar getting the album as result being able to see all the other tracks of that CD. (as far as I can remember this works in itunes like that: after the search result of one track, it's possible to select a CD, delete the search string which shows all the tracks of that CD. Sadly this is not working in MM..)

Playback speed change:
- I think it's tricky in regards of stable output, but being able to change speed of playback would help in my work. As far as I know it's not possible to change the speed of tracks in MM neither permanent nor, live during playback.

I LOVE MM - it's the best player, keep on the good work!

Bernhard
Last edited by beg on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: MM feature wishlist: playback, track browser, search fea

Post by Lowlander »

Right click on tracks and select Find More From Same > Album.
beg

Post by beg »

Hi Lowlander,

thx for your fast reply.

I tried that before writing the post - I don't get that option?!
I can chose from: Playlist, Folder (Libray), Folder (My Computer), Folder (Explorer) - that's it..

how comes?!

Bernhard

PS I use MM gold v. 3.2.2.1300
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you in the Library or Location node? Do you have the Album node enabled to be shown?
beg

Post by beg »

Ah - I see.

You were right it did not work because I am not using the Library-nodes. I work with my special structure of Playlists only. Therefore also the album node was deactivated and I did not get that option.

The problem is that I do not / can't work with the nodes. E.g. if I enable the album node, I do get that option and selecting it brings up the tracks of that CD, BUT also ALL my albums on the left side producing a list of more than 10000 album entries! This is why I do not work with the nodes - the lists are not workable with.

In the described case I'd need just the tracks of that Cd in question, but not the complete album nodes list which first takes time to build up and second I can not work with.. And my important playlists are >10000 entries far down!

Is there a way to use this feature without having the album node list opening?

thx for help,
Bernhard
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use the Shortcuts toolbar's Playlist button to go back down to the Playlists node, or use the Back button to go back to the previous node. That's the way I do it.
beg

Post by beg »

Hm, I have to change a lot between "Now playing", Library (for searching) and Playlist node. It is very disturbing to have >10000 entries in between which I do not need at all!

So thx. for the hint of the album node in order to "release" the find-more-album-option, but to me it's not really an option the way it is handled now.. I simply can't work with this endless album node list. I don't see why these lists HAVE TO open themselves no matter if I need them or not.. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you use the Playlist, Now Playing buttons or Back button the Album node doesn't get in the way.
beg

Post by beg »

Hi,

I understand that, but I have to scroll a lot in the playlist tree (I use > 1000 playlists to organize my music for DJ-ing) and especially for DJ-ing it's important to me that things keep simple. If the album node with >10000 albums is open, the scroll-bar gets tiny (some millimeters) it's difficult to grab for scrolling up and down and scrollspeed is getting slow reacting and jerking. This is maybe not a problem for private use, but if it is a stressfull situation during DJ-ing, or you have to work with this up to 12 hours without a break - this is a no go. These are small reasons, but if you would try to work with that you would understand that it's not possible to be used like that.

Imagine running MM on a mid-sized Laptop in a suboptiomal environment (club, bad light, no place,..) in a live DJ-ing situation where you have to be able to work safe, fast and easy - having 10000 entries in your list you do not need making your scroll bar a small dott and the tree reacting slow so you can't scroll properly through your playlists and you have to do that for >6 hours,...

The thing is - it is simply not necessary and gives no additional information at all to open the whole album list just because the tracks of one album are displayed! For me this should be done within the track viewing/track browser area not changeing the tree list at all! I was looking for 1 CD, I don't kare about the >10000 other albums and would not be able to find anything in this giant list anyway. So what's the point in displaying that.. Maybe ok for small to mid-sized collections, but a no go for big collections which MM is so good for in many other situations.

For another support case (unstable playback) I send the dev-team my MM.db. I'd suggest to work a bit with really huge databases having >150.000 tracks in order to get a feeling for these kind of problems.

Still I want to add that I chose MM because it was able to deal best with this amount of tracks! So this is just to make it even better!

cheers,
Bernhard
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

beg wrote: More information in Track Browser:
- a possibility to see e.g. long albumnames in the track browser. If the name is longer than the displayed line there is no way to see the rest of the album name. Would be enough to make the Tooltip function working within the track browser too.
I agree. Tooltip in the track browser would be nice.
beg wrote: - It would be great to have a colums in the Track Browser displaying the number of tracks for each line. Like it does in the first line for "All" (xxx-Items). It would be great to have the (xxx-items) in each line for the different genres, interprets and albums! E.g. to distinguish Albums with only one item from others with ~20 tracks in the Album view of the Track Browser.
It could be nice indeed. I agree again.
beg wrote: Playback speed change:
- I think it's tricky in regards of stable output, but being able to change speed of playback would help in my work. As far as I know it's not possible to change the speed of tracks in MM neither permanent nor, live during playback.
I'm too in need of a plugin like that!
If you go in the "Addons" section (top of this page) ---> DSP
There is one called "Take it easy". But last time I tried it didn't work correctly and it made Mediamonkey crash all the time :(

beg wrote:Flexible Search/Album display option:
I red your discussion with lowlander. And I think like him.
You're best bet is to use the library nodes. I understand that
If the album node with >10000 albums is open, the scroll-bar gets tiny (some millimeters) it's difficult to grab for scrolling up and down and scrollspeed is getting slow reacting and jerking
But if you use the back button you can get back to the exact view you were in just one click. (you can also use alt+arrow for that matter)
There is also the F7 key that collapse the current node.

Hope that helps.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
beg

Post by beg »

Hi Dreadlau,

I tried F7 key and it would to the trick to get rid of the album list fast, BUT it closes ALL open lists. I can not use this because I have a sophisticated structure of playlists organizing my music. I have several nested playlists open in order to navigate through different parts of my collecions while DJ-ing. With F7 all of these playlists will be closed at once and I have to refind and reopen them again which is a no go..

the problem with all the playback/output features is having serious stability issues. Same with the mm built in features for volume level control, clipping tool, or the finding silence features. The very first thing everybody suggested to stop using in case of playback instability included these features and I experienced serious problems with them already. So these features might be ok for private use, but everything which might bring problems to a stable plaback is crucial if Dj-ing live! So I will not use add-ons which might crash MM! Imagine playing in front of several hunderd people and your MM crashes! :o not a nice thought!

I know that MM is not a professional DJ-software. But it is superior to many professional DJ-software (I tried them all) in regards of flexibility and database functionality which is more important to me than fancy mixing functionality. If it's possible to get the playback/output stability to a professional level and allow features to be configures for professional use it would be a huge leap in the quality of MM development.

Thx for your comments!

cheers,
Bernhard
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

beg wrote: More information in Track Browser:
I just posted about this in the bug report subforum:
see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=52961
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've taken the liberty to start a new topic on the Find More From Same issues: http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 66&start=0 Please use it voice your ideas on this topic.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Check out my Advanced Duplicate script, link in signature, it has a "Find More From Same - Custom Search"-feature which would fit the bill here!
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Peke

Post by Peke »

@Bernhard
Just in Case I mostly use combination of MM and AIMP where I D&D tracks from MM directly to AIMP for playback. Well I'll do that until DJ part of MM got fully improved and get more stable.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts