MEDIAMONKEY RUINED ALL MY MUSIC

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

blabla

MEDIAMONKEY RUINED ALL MY MUSIC

Post by blabla »

Auto-Tag from WEB... I did that to all my 6000 mp3 files... and when it was done MEDIAMONKEY made ALL my 6000 mp3 to ONE ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!

How the _ do I make it right again??? stupid program. Tell me how to make it right and then I will uninstall this _ program. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
trixmoto

Re: MEDIAMONKEY RUINED ALL MY MUSIC

Post by trixmoto »

"Auto-tag from the web" is designed to tag one album at a time. All the updates are previewed at the bottom of the screen, so I don't know how you didn't realise this. There is no "undo" feature, but if you've changed the metadata and not the filenames themselves then you should be able to use the "Auto-tag from filename" to restore at least some of the information.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

0nce again! It might be the 10th time I write it! A warning message ( explaining that auto-tag is designed to be used for one album a time ) should be displayed. If the user selects multiple album to be auto-taged.

Everytime that happens you lose a client. Maybe it's time you consider my suggestion.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

should be easy enough to do trixmoto?
just put in an alert command on the code for the first thing that shows doing the mmip installing of it.

you remember just like them hello world alerts. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote:0nce again! It might be the 10th time I write it! A warning message ( explaining that auto-tag is designed to be used for one album a time ) should be displayed. If the user selects multiple album to be auto-taged.

Everytime that happens you lose a client. Maybe it's time you consider my suggestion.
A warning message is already implemented when modifying more than 50 files at once. Clearly, people are just ignoring it, so I don't see how changing the wording will make any difference.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

nohitter151 wrote:
Dreadlau wrote:0nce again! It might be the 10th time I write it! A warning message ( explaining that auto-tag is designed to be used for one album a time ) should be displayed. If the user selects multiple album to be auto-taged.

A warning message is already implemented when modifying more than 50 files at once. Clearly, people are just ignoring it, so I don't see how changing the wording will make any difference.
Why would people care that they are tagging more than 50 files? That's what they want in the first place.
This warning is irrelevant.

What new users see is "auto-tag from web"
"auto" means: the program do it for me, I don't have to manage anything.

Results: All their tags are ruined!

Never is the user informed that he has to do it one album at a time.

There is only one clue: the scrollable track-list in the preview window.
And obviously a lot of people don't understand how it works.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote: Why would people care that they are tagging more than 50 files? That's what they want in the first place.
This warning is irrelevant.

What new users see is "auto-tag from web"
"auto" means: the program do it for me, I don't have to manage anything.
Clearly that isn't what it means. Auto meaning several fields are tagged at once for you. (as opposed to one field at a time).
Dreadlau wrote: Results: All their tags are ruined!
Here's what I don't understand. Have you ever tried to replicate this yourself? Seriously, try it. Select all your files, then Tools > Auto-tag from web. Not all tracks are checked, so only checked fields are modified! How could you mess up your whole library this way? At worst, a few tracks have wrong info assigned.
Dreadlau wrote: Never is the user informed that he has to do it one album at a time.

There is only one clue: the scrollable track-list in the preview window.
And obviously a lot of people don't understand how it works.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... ternet.htm

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think a warning that would appear (and user can disable) when files from multiple albums (as per original tags) are going to be tagged wouldn't be a terrible addition.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I more thinking to add warning when user clicks on "SELECT ALL" and there is XYZ number of tracks more than on Amazon result. But again that makes problems where there is no tracks on Amazon results and you wanna correct Album Art, Publisher and Year.

Like Stephen said there is warnings, another thing is that no matter what is done MM can't compensate user error.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

nohitter151 wrote:
Here's what I don't understand. Have you ever tried to replicate this yourself? Seriously, try it. Select all your files, then Tools > Auto-tag from web. Not all tracks are checked, so only checked fields are modified! How could you mess up your whole library this way? At worst, a few tracks have wrong info assigned.
Ok you have to check the little "select all box".

Anyway I don't see what the problem would be to be add a warning.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:
Ok you have to check the little "select all box".
So you think people are not observant enough to see that all tracks will be tagged the same way, but they will be observant enough to notice this tiny little checkbox?

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

blabla wrote:Auto-Tag from WEB... I did that to all my 6000 mp3 files... and when it was done MEDIAMONKEY made ALL my 6000 mp3 to ONE ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!

How the _ do I make it right again??? stupid program. Tell me how to make it right and then I will uninstall this _ program. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This is the best thing I've read all morning. How would you not notice that when auto-tagging it was highlighting a single album with no option to move between? Why would you blindly click auto-tag without first ensuring that your music library wasn't going to be compromised?

IIRC there's a function that let's you rename your music files by their .mp3 file name so that might actually solve your problem.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

nohitter151 wrote: So you think people are not observant enough to see that all tracks will be tagged the same way, but they will be observant enough to notice this tiny little checkbox?
Yes.

What other explanation could there be.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote:
nohitter151 wrote: So you think people are not observant enough to see that all tracks will be tagged the same way, but they will be observant enough to notice this tiny little checkbox?
Yes.

What other explanation could there be.
Trolling.

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Problems? Solved.