Sync playlists to SD card [#8254]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

kiwichick

Sync playlists to SD card [#8254]

Post by kiwichick »

Hi there,

I use MM to sync music to the SD card I have in my phone. Today, for the first time, I tried the "Sync playlists" feature in the device configuration but I don't know if I've set it up correctly. This is what I've done:

1. checked "Sync playlists"
2. checked "Generate device Playlists for"
3. checked "Artists"
4. Destination directory is \Playlists\
5. checked "Use unicode for M3U"

These are the default settings except for unchecking "Library playlists" and checking "Artists" instead. But it hasn't worked because, although the Playlists folder has been created, the playlists haven't been - the folder is empty. Is there something else I should have done?

Cheers for any help.
nohitter151

Re: Sync playlists to SD card

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

Coolies, thanks nohitter151, but I'm a bit confused about the Mantis page as it says this has been fixed.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kiwichick wrote:Coolies, thanks nohitter151, but I'm a bit confused about the Mantis page as it says this has been fixed.
You never indicated which build you were on.

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

Sorry, nohitter151, I forgot to mention that - 1415 when I posted but I've just installed 1416 and the problem still exists. In fact the Playlists folder hasn't even been created this time. Cheers.
mcow

Post by mcow »

It's not fixed, despite the bug status.
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

mcow wrote:It's not fixed, despite the bug status.
Thanks for confirming that mcow. Can someone please re-open the bug report?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I cannot reproduce, it is fixed in 1415 and higher.

Are you sure that you tested 1415 and higher and that you checked some artists on the auto-sync list page?
i.e. you must check e.g. Music -> Artist -> ABBA and then the M3U is generated for ABBA
mcow

Post by mcow »

Ludek wrote:I cannot reproduce, it is fixed in 1415 and higher.

Are you sure that you tested 1415 and higher and that you checked some artists on the auto-sync list page?
i.e. you must check e.g. Music -> Artist -> ABBA and then the M3U is generated for ABBA
I see. OK, that works, at least for Albums.

This requires a change in how I use this feature. Currently, I have one playlist to which I add the albums I want to sync, and I want individual M3Us for each of those albums.

I see there are some advantages to doing things the way you suggest, but having a way to add an album to the sync-list from the main tree would be useful.
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

Ludek wrote:...checked some artists on the auto-sync list page? i.e. you must check e.g. Music -> Artist -> ABBA and then the M3U is generated for ABBA
For me, this was not the expected behaviour and therein lies the confusion :D I have just one Auto-Playlist that I sync to my SD Card and that is checked on the Auto-Sync list tab. When I read "Generate device playlists" for "Artists" I expected it to draw the Artists from that Auto-Playlist and 'Generate playlists' for them. Sorry, but there's nothing there on the Options/Playlists tab that says to me I need select Artists somewhere else - my bad :oops:
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Ok, I added new issue to Mantis in order to cover this confusion: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8254
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

Ludek wrote:Ok, I added new issue to Mantis in order to cover this confusion: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8254
Thanks Ludek. So is there any way for me to create the playlists that I want? It wouldn't have to be from the sync-options.This is my situation:

I have a playlist that contains all my favourite songs. The Auto-Playlist, that I sync to my SD Card, generates an 850MB "Random" selection of those songs. It isn't an Artist-specific playlist as I think you meant at Mantis:

"i.e. if Playlists -> ABBA is checked then the M3U isn't generated for ABBA".

What I was hoping for was playlists just for the Artists of the songs the Auto-Playlist generates. Is this possible? Cheers.
mcow

Re: Sync playlists to SD card [#8254]

Post by mcow »

That bug exactly describes why I thought it was broken.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

mcow wrote:That bug exactly describes why I thought it was broken.
Nope, it's always worked that way, you need to check the artist/album/etc. in order to generate those playlists.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It would be nice though it if could create Artist Playlist when just syncing Playlists as well.