Dropdown menus for Custom Fields

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Peter Panino

Dropdown menus for Custom Fields

Post by Peter Panino »

Options -> Appearance -> Custom Fields:

PLEASE let each Custom Field have its own drop-down menu and let the user configure these drop-down menus here!
Peter Panino

Re: Dropdown menus for Custom Fields

Post by Peter Panino »

PS: From the same point of view, also the drop-down menus of the Classification fields Tempo, Mood, Occasion, Quality should be customizable!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Peter Panino wrote:PS: From the same point of view, also the drop-down menus of the Classification fields Tempo, Mood, Occasion, Quality should be customizable!
They already are customizable...
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Peter Panino

Post by Peter Panino »

Really? As far as I have seen, in the fields Tempo, Mood, Occasion, Quality drop-down items can only be ADDED by writing a new item into the empty field; but the existing items are not REPLACED; they still remain there. With "Customizing" I mean EDITING the preset drop-down items (and of course adding new ones, which is already possible). This would be very useful (especially in the fields Mood, Occasion and Quality where different users might have different needs).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can remove any values from the Classifications node in the Media Tree by deleting it.
Peter Panino

Post by Peter Panino »

Lowlander wrote:You can remove any values from the Classifications node in the Media Tree by deleting it.
Thanks for the information - I didn't know this.

From the user perspective, one would expect to customize such things in the Preferences dialog, since the Media Tree is just a logical structural representation of the user-assigned and inherent properties of the content items.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Peter Panino wrote:
Lowlander wrote:
From the user perspective, one would expect to customize such things in the Preferences dialog, since the Media Tree is just a logical structural representation of the user-assigned and inherent properties of the content items.
Why? The artists drop down, album drop down, composer, etc. all work in the same way as the classification. It seems logical as-is.
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mcow

Post by mcow »

Looking for a feature like this, I did a search in the Wishlist forum for "custom" and found three -- all by Peter. :)

I don't so much want configurable "dropdown menus" as much as autocompletion, like the tag feature in Picasa: when I start to type, it would be great to have a dropdown appear with existing values that match what I've typed, so I can just click. For instance, in one of my custom fields, I often type "instrumental"; with a feature like this I could do that in one or two characters and not have to worry about typos.

No need to remove obsolete values in the Options dialog; just select all the items with that value and delete the value.
Peter Panino

Post by Peter Panino »

mcow wrote:...when I start to type, it would be great to have a dropdown appear with existing values that match what I've typed, so I can just click...
I agree, that would be very useful! I just need PRESET values to drop-down in the Custom fields. If these PRESET values are created by having typed them previously (like you suggest) or preconfigured in the Settings dialog (like I have suggested) isn't of much importance.

Modern user interfaces combine BOTH in one field:
1. Incremental Auto-lookup while writing (like you have suggested)
2. Drop-down button on the right-side which shows all preset values in a drop-down menu

As a seasoned programmer I know that implementing such a control is very easy...
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

mcow wrote:... and not have to worry about typos.
This Dropdown menu for Custom Fields requirement is essential - I have long muttered and grumbled about it's absence.

mcow, I agree about not have to worry about typos.

And if Peter is correct "As a seasoned programmer I know that implementing such a control is very easy..."

So. Let's have it please, Rusty.
Thanks,
puteax

Post by puteax »

so how to add new moods, occasions and classifications..?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just type them in their respective fields and they'll be added.
sharevari

Post by sharevari »

Only just converted to MediaMonkey, and I'd definitely +1 this. I'm in the process of importing all my Last.fm tags into a custom field, but it will be very hard to keep adding to the tags without this feature.

Considering hi-jacking one of the existing classifications instead just to get this functionality...
musinik

Post by musinik »

Yes, dorpdowns for Custom fields would be a very good feature. At least it should work like for Genres, that new items in dropdown appear when you assign it to one of the tracks in the list.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

It would be a nice touch
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig