Some sync issues and gripes relating to played data [#10134]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Mizery_Made

Some sync issues and gripes relating to played data [#10134]

Post by Mizery_Made »

So, just got the beta builds of MMW and MMA installed and started playing with it. I've noticed one potential bug relating to the sync, and then a couple of gripes relating to MMA behavior. In regards to the bug, it seems that it's syncing the Last Played Time as GMT, instead of GMT-6, which is my time zone. Shouldn't it be syncing my local time?

I posed the question of whether MMA would sync back just a playcount of the files it played, or if it would maintain a history (with exact times of plays) as MMW does. This was one of my gripes about the iDevices I had. I knew this is something that would just have to be lived with, since you guys had no way of telling the iPod to keep a full time. When I saw that you guys were going to develop an app for Android, and the line of communication between it and MMW would be better since both ends are developed by you guys... I expected it to communicate this information. Is this something that just isn't possible, or... maybe there's no elegant way of making it work? Database bloat on the device, etc?

Another inconsistency that I see is how the two sides determine what has been played. In MMW, it has long required a full play of the track to be considered a play. Meanwhile, my experience with MMA seems to show that merely playing a track (even if only for 15 seconds, don't quote me on that) will count the track as played, Why the inconsistency? Again, is this a potential limitation on the Android side of things?
Bex

Re: Some sync issues and gripes relating to played data

Post by Bex »

The UTC issue has to be a bug. I wonder if it works correctly for other date transactions?

As for your wish to get MMA to keep track of true playhistory and be able to synch it to MMW. That would be a killer feature that really would make it stand out from other portable player. I strongly support this wish to be implemented!
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
dwmd65

Post by dwmd65 »

Misery,
I installed a script to allow me to adjust my media monkey time for when it is considered played.

It's called PlayedDateAndCounter_v1.2. It allows me to set how long before media monkey determines that it's played.

Not sure where I got the script though.

I found this post as I am also testing the beta of MM and MMA. Have you had any success in getting the play counter to sync back to MM from MMA?

Dave
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Bex wrote:As for your wish to get MMA to keep track of true playhistory and be able to synch it to MMW. That would be a killer feature that really would make it stand out from other portable player. I strongly support this wish to be implemented!
I agree!
--
The gpzbc
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks. The UTC issue http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10134 will be fixed in build 1610.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

gpzbc wrote:
Bex wrote:As for your wish to get MMA to keep track of true playhistory and be able to synch it to MMW. That would be a killer feature that really would make it stand out from other portable player. I strongly support this wish to be implemented!
I agree!
I vote for this also.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Bex

Post by Bex »

Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
MarkODD

Re: Some sync issues and gripes relating to played data [#10

Post by MarkODD »

I also agree that this would be a great feature. I am not sure how MediaMonkey syncs the play count with MMA (actually it doesn't seem to work at all for me at the moment) but a play history would seem to solve a lot of problems.

Consider a song that has a playcount of zero. It is synced to a portable device and played there 1x. Meanwhile, before the next sync, it is also played 1x in MMW. How does the play count get adjusted? It should be 2 and if the date and times were stored and then the count calculated form this history there would be no problems. Otherwise the play count can only be adjusted when it is higher on the portable device and in the above case it would be 1 play on each so no adjustment would be made. This was the problem with Aff's otherwise excellent SyncBackRatings script.

Some people may not want the plays from a portable device to be counted in the main database so maybe an option to not update the history could also be included.
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

I was under the impression that mobile plays were recorded in the recently played list already? Maybe i'm going mad, i can't remember :lol:

I would expect that the mobile plays should be added to the recently played list, then the total number of plays could be recalculated from there? It depends how MMW currently calculates playcounts I guess.

I would have thought this was a priority 1 feature, as it keeps the whole media monkey experience together. Without this the database becomes inaccurate, which will be a disaster for statophiles like myself :)
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

zombiefly wrote:I would have thought this was a priority 1 feature, as it keeps the whole media monkey experience together. Without this the database becomes inaccurate, which will be a disaster for statophiles like myself :)
I agree that this should be priority #1. That is the one thing that I can not get from any other music player app.
--
The gpzbc
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

are we sure it doesnt record MMA plays in MMW?. i'm convinced it did. The only thing that wasnt working was the skip count?!

I was playing tracks in MMA and checking the skip count in MMW after resync. If I wasn't, I seriously need to check myself into the nearest hospital as i think i'm losing my mind :o

Unfortunately not near home pc to test this...
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

It does count the plays, but it only adjusts the Playcounter. It doesn't maintain a true history of the plays like MMW does. Same way that the iDevices have worked too, but since MMA is developed 'in-house', I would think this is something that could be brought and be a selling point of MMW+MMA.
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

Are plays on the phone being synced back to MMW from MMA for you guys?

I Synced 2 albums to Samsung Galaxy SII 16GB external SD card over USB. Played 1 song and rated it. Reconnected over USB and auto synced. All tracks were copied over again, the play count in MMW was not increased, the rating was not updated in MMW.

Sync has never worked correctly for me but the play counts and ratings were being synced back in earlier versions.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I do not get any info back from my G3 either. In fact looking at the G3 Music folder, in MM (1626), I don't see any Last Played dates etc.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I looked at mantis and did not find this issue anywhere. I probably just missed it but are the devs aware of this?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig