MMA excessive power consumption

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

charlieMOGUL

MMA excessive power consumption

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Hi,

I'm using MediaMonkey for Android 1.0.1.0075 on Android 4.2.1.
When I boot the phone without starting MediaMonkey, the application still consumes a lot of power. Android's built-in power usage histogram shows that MediaMonkey uses a hefty 15% of overall power usage. This diminishes the usability of the phone and would be a reason not to use MMA.

I noticed also when starting completely non-related apps (eg. Google Maps), it shows the 'debug logs have been uploaded. Thank you' notification. It does that with about 1 in 4 apps that I start.

Hope these reports help,

charlieMOGUL.
rovingcowboy

Re: MMA excessive power consumption

Post by rovingcowboy »

You seen my wont terminate post didnt you?

So what do you think could yours be caused by same reason thats keeping mma running on my system? Seems like that to me since both issues deal with the power? Dont get me wrong here i'm just trying to hash it out some in the forum, to help get close to the cause for them to have a closer idea where to look.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
charlieMOGUL

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Hi 'El Cowboy' ;)

Thanks for your suggestion, I found your thread on http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=68827 - but I think it's another issue.
That an app is running in the background is no problem. In fact, I think all widgets need to be running constantly (note that I don't use the MMA widget).
My issue is about the fact that MMA uses so much power - even while idling.

charlieMOGUL
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Oh so its looking like another cause then to you, rats :(
i thought we were closing in on this bug :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
jiri

Post by jiri »

charlieMOGUL,
When I boot the phone without starting MediaMonkey, the application still consumes a lot of power.
what kind of device and OS version do you have? For me MMA doesn't take much, particularly after device reboot it doesn't take anything (as expected).

Jiri
charlieMOGUL

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Hi Jiri,

I use MMA on a Galaxy Nexus, and on a Nexus 7, both running 4.2.1.
The power consumption shows up on the Galaxy Nexus. I do switch daily multiple times between WiFi, 3G, GPRS, etcetera.. lots of online/offline changes, I don't know if that can cause the issue ?
mcow

Post by mcow »

One thing that's changed on my (WiFi-only) tablet is that my system setting "Keep Wi-Fi active while sleeping: Only when plugged in" keeps getting reset to "Always". This has only happened recently, but I can't tie it directly to MMA. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and before reinstalling, I reset to my setting and restarted: it still changed back to Always. (With reinstallation, I've lost the sync server setting, too.)

After reinstalling, I happened to look at the Data Usage graph and there was a huge 4GB spike in traffic starting in early December, attributed to "Removed apps". This is huge usage for this device; the next biggest user is last.fm, with 104MB, and I've probably played last.fm radio for three or four hours over the four weeks in the graph.

I haven't actually play very much music with MMA; I tried it on my commute a couple of days as the player in the car (with Bluetooth), but at home it's more convenient to use MMW. I can't see how I would have used 4GB. But I haven't installed any other app in that period.
mcow

Post by mcow »

mcow wrote:One thing that's changed on my (WiFi-only) tablet is that my system setting "Keep Wi-Fi active while sleeping: Only when plugged in" keeps getting reset to "Always". This has only happened recently, but I can't tie it directly to MMA.
This was WinAmp with wireless-sync enabled. I've uninstalled WinAmp and not seeing this any more.
mcow wrote:After reinstalling, I happened to look at the Data Usage graph and there was a huge 4GB spike in traffic starting in early December, attributed to "Removed apps". This is huge usage for this device; the next biggest user is last.fm, with 104MB, and I've probably played last.fm radio for three or four hours over the four weeks in the graph.
I realized that this must have been the data usage from syncing, so no cause for concern.
jackson

Post by jackson »

This has only happened recently, but I can't tie it directly to MMA. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and before reinstalling, I reset to my setting and restarted: it still changed back to Always. (With reinstallation, I've lost the sync server setting, too.)

After reinstalling, I happened to look at the Data Usage graph and there was a huge 4GB spike in traffic starting in early December, attributed to "Removed apps". This is huge usage for this device; the next biggest user is last.fm, with 104MB, and I've probably played last.fm radio for three or four hours over the four weeks in the graph.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Thought this was fixed?