Autosync woes - Should MM use a better approach to sync?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Blutarsky

Autosync woes - Should MM use a better approach to sync?

Post by Blutarsky »

Since the developers got to work properly MM 4 autosync, I have noticed some strange behaviorism when syncing.

I have started sync from scratch, cleared the smartphone contents and performed a full sync, in MSC mode. Since then, autosync worked properly.

Then, I have attempted to perform an autosync, with the phone connected in MTP mode (and exactly the same settings used for sync in MSC mode) to see if it worked properly; first of all, It took almost 4 minutes to allow MM to complete the "Scanning" phase (really too long), however as MM attempted to remove previous content in the smartphone, I had to forcibly terminate this as soon as possible (unplugged the phone).

Once I have disconnected the phone, exited MM, launched again MM and connected the phone again back in MSC mode, I have attempted an autosync and MM started syncing again some hundred tracks (probably deleted from the removal performed by MM in MTP mode). Unexpectedly some tracks took minutes to sync (I started believing MM hanged). Once finished I have disconnected/exited/relaunched MM and the phone and performed an autosync and since then MM will keep synchronizing 3 tracks (always the same) :o
I believe something has been scrambled somewhere, however I'm temporizing now, just to avoid the umpteenth full sync.

Finally, to makes things easier and more safe &reliable, I think that MM should:
- keep ONE unified list of sync contents: PC list and device list
- once the device scan is started (in MTP or MSC mode), look for changes on the device and update the device list accordingly.
- perform the sync based on the above results

This simple approach should allow for safe, fast & reliable syncs regardless the connection (MTP or MSC) AND should allow for proper syncs across multiple computers.

At least, at the moment there should be an option to rebuild device contents WITHOUT requiring a full sync to reset thing to work properly.

What do you think?
Lowlander

Re: Autosync woes - Should MM use a better approach to sync?

Post by Lowlander »

It all depends on the device. iOS devices can be rebuild as they have a DB for all media, Android devices don't have a central approach to media thus it depends on each App to manage its database. Furthermore plenty of users have reported that Samsung drivers are broken and thus the source of many frustrations.
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

Although being broken, why:
- In MTP mode it takes almost 4 minutes to scan
- has multiple lists per-device (one for MTP one for MSC)
- misses an option to rebuild device contents without requiring a full sync.

I will post an entry in the wishlist section....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Blutarsky wrote:Although being broken, why:
Because it is broken?
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

What drivers are broken?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Samsung MTP drivers.
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

I see.... however once MM is fooled, it fails also in MSC mode.... as I wrote, after attempting the MTP mode sync, something was scrambled and since then MM is fooled attempting to sync the same files although being sychronized corretcly...there should be an option to reset MM's sync lists without issuing a full sync
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd presume the problem may on the device end. Removing media (and maybe a device restart) may be what is needed.
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

I'll drop a few lines in the wishlist section, who knows, the author may read and a few options to quickly reset things, when needed :)