Any competitor to Media Monkey

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

pderwael

Any competitor to Media Monkey

Post by pderwael »

Hi all

I'm a long time happy MM user, but I'm considering switching to another product because of performance issues
The question is: which one ??

Some background: my collection is about 370.000 files, I run MM on an ASUS N75S laptop (1.5Tb disc, 8Gb RAM, Intel Core 7, Win 7 x64, MM 4.0.6.1501)
The mp3s are on spread on 3 local disks and a 2Tb USB external disk (I will move to a 12Tb Synology in the coming months)

I use to manage my collection in 2 tabs: the first is sorted by Album artist/year/album title/track nr/track title
The second tab is sorted by date added

Every activity takes now ages: adding mp3s to the collection takes 3-5 second/mp3, times 300-400 mp3s per batch... editing any tag takes also up to 3 seconds per mp3... you get the idea

Is anyone here aware of another software product that would scale up better for large collections ?
Or any advice on performance ??

Cheers
Lowlander

Re: Any competitor to Media Monkey

Post by Lowlander »

Run File > Maintain Library with the complete optimization option checked once in a while.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

You have 7 cores? Get a program for win 7 that controls the way programs use the cores and the priority of the program.

Split up the cores as to
Have cores 1,2 & 3 used by system files and all other programs.
Have cores 4,5,6, & 7 only run media monkey and set mediamonkeys priority to real time.

Doing that will give you speed of 3 core system for all other programs, and 4 core speed for mediamonkey, real time will speed up mm's processes to make them faster,
And mm gold has the options to set its process's up on different cores so you can even split them out from the core that plays music,

I know of no other music manager program as fast as mediamonkey not even with all the tweaking i just told you to use on mediamonkey,

One thing you will need for that laptop when you do this is a good fan stand to set it on for cooling because it will get hotter then fire too hot to hold in lap, but speed = heat. You got to have fans anyway on laptops as they get hot in the first place, also there is little space for air movement in the laptop case so clean out the dust often to help keep it cool this will help with all kinds of errors that seem to show up in laptops,.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
pderwael

Post by pderwael »

Hi guys

@Lowlander
Thanks for the hint, but as do not know yet what this optimisation is exactly doing, I do not really feel like letting MM doing something I do not control on the collection
--> I will have a close look at the documentation and see if this might be an option !

@Rovingcowboy
Thank also for the hint !
This sounds a good way to go as it has no impact on my collection, but only on the processing
BTW, would you hand any name of such a core controlling program ?

Thanks again for your answers !
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

pderwael,

rovingcowboy most likely misunderstood the specs you gave in your first post. Your notebook seems to be equipped with an Intel Core i7-2630QM which is a quad-core processor.

CPU-Control promises to handle CPU-affinity for multicore-systems, but I doubt that it will speed up MediaMonkey.
pderwael

Post by pderwael »

You are right, it is "just" quad core :)

Anyhow, I like this approach as it does not change anything on the way I use MM --> I will try this option first

Thanks
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

I use a free one called " bill2's process manager." But its only on vr 3 he mentions vr 4 but has not done anything in almost a yr, vr 3 should work on win 7 but i did see some others mentioned on majorgeeks.com that were made for win7, and free. If you try bill2's it is french and loads in french you will have to find the british flag to click for english,

:oops: Sorry i did think you had 7 core's seemed strange an odd number of them but who knows what they'll do now days, i've heard 12 to 16 cores are out if you can afford them. :o
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The DB gets small inefficiencies over time, this can make MM slow, complete optimization can fix this and in some case result in a huge improvement. You can always backup the database if you're unsure about it.
pderwael

Post by pderwael »

[quote="rovingcowboy" :oops: Sorry i did think you had 7 core's seemed strange :o[/quote]
The next generation will be 5 cores 3/4 :lol:
pderwael

Post by pderwael »

Lowlander wrote:complete optimization can fix this and in some case result in a huge improvement
--> will try and post results
Thanks!
pderwael

Post by pderwael »

Hi
I have been playing with bill2's process manager yesterday evening; after some tries, I managed to have an interesting performance increase
Hower, as you mentioned, heat dissipation is indeed an issue... I'm not too sure I wish to continue using this tool as I really do not want to damage my motherboard...

Also, finally I have had a closed look at my config: I have two quad-cores processors... you were close to the truth when you mentioned the 7 cores :)

Cheers
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

pderwael wrote:I have two quad-cores processors...
That's highly unlikely. In their N75S Asus use the Core i7-2630QM or the Core i7-2670QM, both are quad-core processors with Hyperthreading, so they have eight virtual cores. Windows' Device Manager should therefore show 8 CPUs. Windows also believes my older Core2Duo E8400 (dual-core, no Hyperthreading) to be two CPUs.
pderwael

Post by pderwael »

Thank you for the clarification... not always easy for others than geeks !
ma_t14

Post by ma_t14 »

You can give MusicBee a try. As far as I know, from reports, it can handle large libraries better than MM