Asus Vivo Smart Tab 64gb Windows 8

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows 8/RT

Moderator: Gurus

dnelsonuk

Asus Vivo Smart Tab 64gb Windows 8

Post by dnelsonuk »

Hi I am currently using MM 4.1 on my windows 8 laptop to take music from my NAS drive and push it to my amplifier. Works a treat and I love it. I've just purchased and ASUS tablet (also windows 8 NOT RT). How best can I share the MM database on my laptop when I install a copy of 4.1 on my ASUS tablet so they both use it centrally, and I can use my tablet to push the music from NAS to the amplifier without needing to use the laptop. Alternatively can I copy the db from laptop to MM on the tablet if necessary?

Also when is 4.1 being formally released and available I'm thinking to purchase gold but it must be 4.1 so I can push to amplifier.

Thanks... wonderful product.... I'm buying the windows 8 tablet rather than an IPAD on the strength of using it for MM!
Lowlander

Re: Asus Vivo Smart Tab 64gb Windows 8

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey for Windows can act as DLNA server. This allows you to share your Library with any DLNA capable device including other MediaMonkey installs (also MediaMonkey for Metro and MediaMonkey for Android). MediaMonkey 4.1 will also be able to push files to a DLNA client (right click player and select available client).
dnelsonuk

Post by dnelsonuk »

Thanks lowlander. So my ASUS arrived and I installed MM 4.1 portable version on it. However neither my laptop or the ASUS list each other under available Media Servers. Are there settings I need to adjust on one or both to get them to see each other? (I'm hoping for the ASUS to pick up on the laptop and share it's library)?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

They need to be on the same network and at least one of them has to have a Media Server running. Check with the Media Server settings (Tools > Options > Media Sharing) if you're allowing access to it (also allow MediaMonkey in your Firewall).
dnelsonuk

Post by dnelsonuk »

Thanks again Lowlander I now have copied "Media Monkey Library" from my laptop to the tablet and it successfully streams it from NAS to my amplifier through the tablet :)

The only last problem I have is that it does not seem to have transferred the album artwork (which took me a long time to build in on my laptop library). Is there a way to import the artwork also?

Oh and by the way I installed a full version to the tablet (not portable) as I assumed it would then build its own library once I included the laptop library in its add/rescan folders, (which is what I am assuming it has done. It spent a whole day copying 30000+ entries!).
dnelsonuk

Post by dnelsonuk »

I fixed the issue with album art. Instead of importing laptop MM library I directed ASUS Tablet to pick up files directly from the NAS drive (mapped as a network drive). This way it importted all the artwork for me. This also has the added advantage I don't need my laptop on line to use the ASUS, however I can still use it to add new CDs to my library using the laptop when necessary.

Only issues I have left: The layout on the ASSUS means the text menus and navigation bars are very small and therfore difficult to select (I may try a pen device see if that works) and with around 2500 albums it is not very quick at scrolling through the selection (much faster on my laptop!). Also on the laptop (no touch screen) Windows 8 allows me to use two fingers on mousepad to 'sweep' through the displayed album/details, with the actual touch screen there appears to be no analogue operation to this.
Peke

Post by Peke »

for you solution would be to use MMW in background and MM8 as foreground and player directing MM8 to use local MMW library.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dnelsonuk

Post by dnelsonuk »

for you solution would be to use MMW in background and MM8 as foreground and player directing MM8 to use local MMW library.
Sorry Peke pretty new to this..... :o

what's MMW versus MM8 guessing MMW (MediaMonkey for Windows?) versus MM8 (MediaMonkey Windows 8?) I am running MM 4.1 on both my machines (Laptop and ASUS tablet) under Windows 8?

Perhaps you could provide a little more detail about how your solution would work for me?

Thanks
Peke

Post by Peke »

It should work like this:
1. Start MMW 4.1 as a service and use it if you need sometimes.
2. Install MM8 http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/m ... 0d046b53ea
3. Browse/play tracks from MMW.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dnelsonuk

Post by dnelsonuk »

Thanks Peek finally got around to trying this. Two problems:
1. Although I was able to scan my NAS drive content into MM8 it only lists them as individual tracks under "Playlist > All Music". It does not list them under "Artist" or under "Album"?
2. My intent was to use the Asus tablet to push the music from my NAS via MM8 to my amplifier. It would appear that MM8 doesn't yet have that capability which leaves my only option where I started: Using MMW 4.1. on Asus tablet. Is that feature in pipeline for MM8 do you know?

Many thanks for your help to date!

Post note: Actually #1 just got a little more interesting.... I just imported a further folder from NAS with mp3 music and that populated "Albums" and "Artist" .... so I guess issue is only with wav files... These were however successfully id'd by MMW 4.1? All are organized by <Artist><Album> so I guess MMW 4.1 uses that info to categorize them and also for the large part add artwork? Under Playlist it also interestingly shows artwork on MM 8 for the wav files.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

We're using TagLib for was files so probably track info wasn't read correctly. Can you send me one wav file?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
dnelsonuk

Post by dnelsonuk »

Petrcbr thanks for reply! I'd love to send you a wav file but my permissions on this forum don't seem to include adding attachments.
If you have a way for me to send I will be happy to.
Interestingly if I look at tracks through "Playlist > All music" it shows the artwork for the album, but not through "Album" or "Artist" view.

Did you have any idea as to whether I can push from MM8 to my amplifier (works fine under MMW 4.1)?

Again thanks for response, much appreciated.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll need a file sharing service like http://www.filedropper.com or http://www.dropbox.com to share the file.

MM8 can only act as client.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

As LowLander wrote, MM8 is just a client and can send audio to certified Play To receivers only (see here) which is system feature rather than ours.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
gcoupe

Post by gcoupe »

You can also use "non-certified" devices with Play To, provided that they are devices that implement the DLNA specs. See here for the trick:
http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/ ... ndows-8-1/