When will the new version of MM Gold be released (approx.)?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

rusty

Re: When will the new version of MM Gold be released (approx

Post by rusty »

I'll try to give a better indication of where things stand in the release process with each build that's posted. Basically we do alpha, beta, release candidate, and then release (with dev builds sprinkled in between if the build doesn't meet the criteria of alpha/beta/RC).

At the moment we're in the beta phase, but are getting ready to move to the release candidate phase. Main items remaining before we get to RC are iOS 7 compatibility and some string/graphics tweaks, and possibly a couple of other items that I've overlooked. Release candidates are generally posted for a couple of weeks, and then released if no issues are discovered.

Hope that clarifies the process a bit (more details here http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=34847 ).

-Rusty
FLWB

Post by FLWB »

So is dev Agile or Kanban?
"Without music life would be a mistake" Friedrich Nietzsche
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Are those the only two options? :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

trixmoto wrote:Are those the only two options? :)
If you can't name it you can't have meetings about it .. or sell books .. or have seminars :D
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

You can have a meeting specifically to come up a name for it! Once you have a name, you know what you've got :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Dagnabulous

Post by Dagnabulous »

Ok, I realize that upgrading software is a long and arduous process, dealing with bugs and stability issues sucks. But the line "It will be ready when it's ready" is about the least helpful response possible, aside from posting gibberish. It's generally understood that any timeline is tentative at best, so there is no reason that there shouldn't be a section of the forum letting us know how close (or far) the next version is. Even a milestone post like Songbird did before they went under. Please realize that if you've got kids in the back seat asking "Are we there yet?" answering with "No." will just result in them asking again in 5 minutes. Why can't you do better?

I'd also point out that while the question has been asked many times, searching for an answer has been fruitless so far. You can't search for "4.1", it just won't let you. I went through the results for "New Version" for 10 pages before I realized that was going no where. So on the topic of telling people to look elsewhere for the answer, try again.

Since there are several beta versions of 4.1 hopefully it isn't too far off. Since I've got lifetime gold I suppose I'll have to be content to wait. I just felt like the above needed to be said. My main reason for wanting an answer is that I have a few minor issues, and one moderate issue, but I'm loathe to submit a bug report or request for a feature that might be addressed soon in the new version. I may try the beta but I'm always worried that my library would somehow get corrupted.

But with the responses I get make me feel like I'm just banging my head against a wall....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The responses when timelines are past are far more angry then those when it will be ready is mentioned. Thus it is a better response.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Out of curiosity, when is the next version of iTunes being released?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dagnabulous wrote:Please realize that if you've got kids in the back seat asking "Are we there yet?" answering with "No." will just result in them asking again in 5 minutes. Why can't you do better?

I'd also point out that while the question has been asked many times, searching for an answer has been fruitless so far. You can't search for "4.1", it just won't let you. I went through the results for "New Version" for 10 pages before I realized that was going no where. So on the topic of telling people to look elsewhere for the answer, try again.
Piece of advice... you're never going to get a good answer to this question. The devs rarely weigh in on threads like these, and they are the only ones who are going to be able to answer this question with any shred of believability. The rest of us (even us beta testers, moderators, etc.) are in the same boat as you more or less. Hopefully you (and others in this thread) realize that the beta testing process is public and anyone can access the beta-testing forum. I would suggest, even if you don't want to do any testing, go into that section of the forum and do a little reading. In the test build thread you can see exactly what stage of development we're currently in. In case you didn't know, the process goes:
Developer build -> Alpha -> Beta -> Release candidate -> Official release

As of today we're at the "release candidate" phase, so that can at least give you an idea of how far in development we are.
Dagnabulous wrote:My main reason for wanting an answer is that I have a few minor issues, and one moderate issue, but I'm loathe to submit a bug report or request for a feature that might be addressed soon in the new version. I may try the beta but I'm always worried that my library would somehow get corrupted.
1. Just create a thread and ask if your particular issues have been addressed. Or report the issue any way and be told that it's already fixed in 4.1. That's going to be a lot more constructive than complaining that you don't know when the new version will be released (and not even knowing if your particular problems are resolved in it or not)
2. You can install the beta version in portable mode to a different folder and it will not affect your current installation at all.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) The Bug Tracker is public: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php and many bugs can also be found on the forum.
Dagnabulous

Post by Dagnabulous »

I'd like to clarify that I don't really have a problem not knowing when the new version comes out. I just got a little frustrated at some of the answers that the OP got...that seemed more counterproductive than helpful, especially the first response. I didn't mean to come off complainy.

nohitter151 wrote:2. You can install the beta version in portable mode to a different folder and it will not affect your current installation at all.
I'm going to look into that.

Lowlander wrote:1) The Bug Tracker is public: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php and many bugs can also be found on the forum.
That's a doubly useful link, since there's a roadmap page there too. I see now that the changlog that is listed in the Beta section also leads there....I hadn't clicked it till I checked your link because...well...I thought it was only a changlog. But thank you for providing that.

nohitter151 wrote:Piece of advice... you're never going to get a good answer to this question. The devs rarely weigh in on threads like these, and they are the only ones who are going to be able to answer this question with any shred of believability. The rest of us (even us beta testers, moderators, etc.) are in the same boat as you more or less. Hopefully you (and others in this thread) realize that the beta testing process is public and anyone can access the beta-testing forum. I would suggest, even if you don't want to do any testing, go into that section of the forum and do a little reading. In the test build thread you can see exactly what stage of development we're currently in. In case you didn't know, the process goes:

As of today we're at the "release candidate" phase, so that can at least give you an idea of how far in development we are.
I think that is actually a great answer to the original question. It's a good explanation. Thank you.
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Dagnabulous wrote:
Lowlander wrote:1) The Bug Tracker is public: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php and many bugs can also be found on the forum.
That's a doubly useful link, since there's a roadmap page there too. I see now that the changlog that is listed in the Beta section also leads there....I hadn't clicked it till I checked your link because...well...I thought it was only a changlog. But thank you for providing that.
That post & link should be made sticky, and/or should be put in an FAQ somewhere. It has far more useful information than the stock "When it's ready..." answer, and actually provides the information most people are after when they ask about the next release.
Dagnabulous wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:Piece of advice... you're never going to get a good answer to this question. The devs rarely weigh in on threads like these, and they are the only ones who are going to be able to answer this question with any shred of believability. The rest of us (even us beta testers, moderators, etc.) are in the same boat as you more or less. Hopefully you (and others in this thread) realize that the beta testing process is public and anyone can access the beta-testing forum. I would suggest, even if you don't want to do any testing, go into that section of the forum and do a little reading. In the test build thread you can see exactly what stage of development we're currently in. In case you didn't know, the process goes:

I think that is actually a great answer to the original question. It's a good explanation. Thank you.
Again, this is the sort of useful information that belongs in either a sticky post or an FAQ.

Can a moderator, or a site developer, put this somewhere where it can be found?