Variable playback speed (ex. podcasts and audiobooks) [#15051]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

IcerC

Variable playback speed (ex. podcasts and audiobooks) [#15051]

Post by IcerC »

Variable playback speed so you can quickly listen to an audiobook or podcast. Or play your entire playlist Chipmunks style.
Eyal

Re: Variable playback speed (ex. podcasts and audiobooks)

Post by Eyal »

This can be achieved with a winamp 2 compatible DSP.
Try "Take It Easy" DSP. Look in top menu on this web site: Addons|DSP.

Other plugins are available on http://winamp.com
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

Post by Guest »

IcerC wrote:Variable playback speed so you can quickly listen to an audiobook or podcast. Or play your entire playlist Chipmunks style.
Just to echo this, I used to listen to a number of american tech podcasts on my phone on the way to work, but to deal with the excessivly slow way they talk I played them on double speed.

Now I don't commute any more and love using mediamonkey but can't seem to find how to do this. I can obviously use MM to manage the podcasts and then play them using vlc or similar, but would prefer to use your app for everything :)
Flaw

Post by Flaw »

I also want this ability.
eric.stephani

Post by eric.stephani »

I would like to increase the play speed also.
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

I second that, I'd like to play my hardcore tracks a bit faster at 175 bpm or so.
sialivi

Post by sialivi »

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I'm currently forced to do so in other software due to Media Monkey not having this feature.

If implemented I would also request that the playback speed for each podcast is saved. I listen to different podcasts at different speeds so it would be very convinient if I didn't have to manually set the speed each time, especially when queing several podcasts which need different amount of speed increase.
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

I'll add my vote to this request. I've tried the various plugins suggested before (including "Take It Easy"), and either they don't work at all, or the sound quality of the faster playback is so poor that it's useless. Here's my post from last summer about these plugins: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 77#p304698

To those who are using other audio programs that do allow you to increase the speed, which ones do you recommend, and how good is the adjusted audio quality?
"On the web, no one knows you're using a monkey!"
Jimothy

Post by Jimothy »

Just want to keep this request alive. This feature is overdue in my opinion. It would be invaluable to me to catch up on podcasts when I periodically fall behind.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Jimothy

Post by Jimothy »

There's a plugin called Procrustes that I tried. It was recommended highly by some WinAmp users, but it's really difficult to find as it is no longer available through the WinAmp site, and the developer is nowhere to be found. Eventually I found the plugin here: http://users.hal-pc.org/~clement/Winamp ... 0Skin.html - inside a zip file linked halfway down the page under the link name, "Security template". It works, but it's a pain to use once installed. You have to go to Tools > Options... > DSP Plugins and check the Procrustes box, whereupon a slider pops up that lets you change the playback speed. But the slider goes away when you close the Options dialog, and to get it back you have to navigate back to the plugin, and then un-check and re-check the box.

The request remains: MediaMonkey needs a simple, easy-to-access command to adjust playback speed. Even just a few buttons for 1.25x, 1.5x, and 2x would be adequate for me, but of course a slider would be better.
Jimothy

Post by Jimothy »

Ok, slight correction on the Procrustes plugin - the slider doesn't exactly go away when you close the Options dialog; it hides behind the main window. I couldn't see it behind maximized MM, but when I closed and reopened MM, I noticed the slider pop up a second before the program did. So if you move the program window to the side or something, the slider is there, it's just hard to access. So anyway, the plugin still doesn't suffice for this functionality in any convenient way.
bmarr211

Post by bmarr211 »

Bump on this, would be very helpful for audiobooks, podcasts, and even video files.
SilvrDrgn

Post by SilvrDrgn »

Any word on if variable playback speed (without affecting narrator voice pitch) will become a reality for MM 4.x ?? Or is it already capable? If so, how please?
Michael
bmarr2121

Post by bmarr2121 »

I also have been trying to get this working for awhile, especially a lot of universities do lectures and people need to use VLC etc to watch them, but MM would be so much better to know where you are left off and organized etc. A simple rightlick context menu next to subs would be awesome like Thanks.