Import and imbed album art from WMP?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows 8/RT

Moderator: Gurus

nalawod

Import and imbed album art from WMP?

Post by nalawod »

Prior to adopting MM as my defacto media player, I've been using Windows Media Player. Over time, WMP library has auto filled in most of my album art and the rest I've done manually - but you know the drill -- it's still separate JPG files. Now that I have 2 android devices and one iPad, I want my album art to go with my files and even MM for Android won't recognize the artwork sync'd from WMP -- so the obvious answer is imbedding it in the MP3's. Rather than starting over with 18gb of files, I'd like to find some way that MM or and add on can grab the artwork that WMP has already associated with my mp3's and m4a's and imbed it. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere for a utility that can do this. Suggestions?
Lowlander

Re: Import and imbed album art from WMP?

Post by Lowlander »

I presume you're using the regular MediaMonkey to sync? If MMW sees Album Art it should be no issue syncing with MMA. However I'd recommend using MMW 4.1 beta from the Beta Testing forum.

In any case in the Device Profile you can set MMW to embed Artwork into synced files or in reverse extract it, depending on what your device prefers.
nalawod

Post by nalawod »

Thanks for the answer Lowlander! You led me to what my actual problem is. My WMP on my main computer has a flat file structure - I've always just dropped files in my \music folder without separating into separate album subfolders. All my album art is also sitting in the same directory with all the tracks. Apparently this is why I didn't see artwork on my device when I sync'd -- because MM on my Windows machine was not picking up the artwork. As a test, I took about 50 songs, and exported them to a usb drive from WMP so that it would automatically create album folders with artwork in them. I then copied that music folder structure back to my computer hard drive and had MM use that as my library. Voiala! Now MM has the artwork and when I sync'd to my phone and told it to merge artwork, it did indeed do that.

Now that I know what's wrong and a "workaround" to fix it, I'd like a real, easy solution since all this artwork is already present but not being picked up. I'd prefer not to export my entire library to a folder structure just to get MM to pick up the artwork. Is there something I'm missing /and/or some way to tell MM to use the artwork that WMP has already associated within the flat file structure? I'm guessing what's really happening behind the scenes is that MM only knows the link between the art and the track because the jpg is in the same folder. Is there some way MM could know the link the same way WMP and windows explorer does - i.e. via the actual file name (or whatever it actually uses as a link as I've not figured that out)?

I sure appreciate the help!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey will only pickup Artwork if only files from the same Album art in the folder. This means it won't work in flat structure. You can still do it manually in the Artwork tab of any file (or files on same Album).
nalawod

Post by nalawod »

Thanks- I expected that would be the answer. I'll work with it that way then. Assuming I convert my library to album structures and use only MM for updates here on out, will it automatically create album folders as I drop mp3's into it? I guess I'm really asking what the expected method is of maintaining the library on my main media server/pc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, unless you tell it to (Tools > Options > Auto-Organize).