Can MMA act a a DLNA controller?

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

jwhitworth

Can MMA act a a DLNA controller?

Post by jwhitworth »

I have a HTPC connected to my AV system. MediaMonkey 4.1 is installed on the HTPC. I can easily play music from MediaMonkey thru the AV system. Usually I control MediaMonkey from my main PC via TightVNC.

I also have MMA on my ASUS TF700 tablet. Can MMA act as a DLNA controller while the MediaMonkey DLNA server acts as the renderer?

I am able to achieve this functionality using other upnp apps on the tablet but I would prefer to use MMA.
rusty

Re: Can MMA act a a DLNA controller?

Post by rusty »

Not yet. It's on our todo list post-1.0:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10549

-Rusty
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

OK. Thanks.
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

Plus 1 for this feature.

Just to be clear however, jwhitworth asked

"Can MMA act as a DLNA controller while the MediaMonkey DLNA server acts as the renderer?"

This is what I'm interested in. I would like to Play to my Sonos from my main library on a NAS, controlled by MMA. So on my smartphone or tablet I can see the current track playing, view the album art, update the rating, queue the next track to play etc without having to return to the PC that is running the Mediamonkey server and maintaining the database.

The above link seems to be requesting something different;

"It would be useful if the user could configure MMA to output to UPnP devices (similar to MMW's play to function)."

This sounds like "Play To" device from MMA, ie only play the content that is already on the phone.
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

OK. To clarify.

MMW is on the HTPC which plays thru my AV Receiver.

I would like for MMA to control MMW on the HTPC.

No need for MMA to play music that resides on the tablet thru the HTPC
rusty

Post by rusty »

Got it & noted.

-Rusty
niggle

[REQ] Remote speaker support

Post by niggle »

Hi,

Been using MM for many years on Windows, so it's great to discover there's an Android version too.

Are there any plans to support multiple DLNA renderers? I have a Pioneer SMA4-K WiFi speaker, which works very well with Bubble uPnP player.
But it would be great to be able to use Media Monkey for both local and remote servers, plus local and remote renderers.

Best wishes,
niggle
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Epopisces

Post by Epopisces »

I'd like to second the request for the extended feature; for the Mediamonkey Pro app to include the ability to function as a DLNA controller. While BubbleUPnP suffices for simple playback, I'd love to be able to rate/edit songs and avoid installing additional server software.

Plus I wouldn't mind keeping a seamless media experience all 'in the family' of Mediamonkey software :)

I'm actually working with the same speakers the previous poster mentioned: I have a server which hosts my collection and streams to my laptop and android smartphone (using Mediamonkey on all three). I use BubbleUPnP to control the Pioneer XW A4 speaker in my bedroom, and plan to get two XW A1s for the rest of the house.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Epopisces wrote: I'd love to be able to rate/edit songs and avoid installing additional server software.
This isn't possible with DLNA so even if MMA can act as controller it wouldn't be able to tag DLNA files (it can tag synced files and sync changes back).