Upgrading library using music cloud service?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

robimart

Upgrading library using music cloud service?

Post by robimart »

Hi there,

I'm a longtime MM user with a huge music collection. Unfortunately some of my music was ripped at fairly low bitrates (back when storage was expensive!) so I'm looking for an easy way to upgrade these files. As many of you will know, Google Music, Amazon CloudPlayer and iTunes Match all offer a service whereby low quality files can be replaced with higher quality ones sold from the respective online stores. However, as far as I can tell all of these services will download a fresh copy of the files and *not* apply existing meta-data like ratings.

Is there a way to upgrade my MM library using any of the above services without having to manually retag/rerate all my songs?! (I'd rather avoid using iTunes Match as it probably messes up the filesystem...)

Thanks
robimart
Lowlander

Re: Upgrading library using music cloud service?

Post by Lowlander »

I use Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix to copy metadata from old to new tracks: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... +duplicate
robimart

Post by robimart »

Thanks for that suggestion. It looks a bit daunting and complicated but probably worth the effort. I hope it works with fuzzy matching as the metadata on Amazon track is unlikely to match my own files perfectly...

I think this will be a project to tackle over the Christmas break while the rest of the family eats cake and actually enjoys itself...! ;)

Thanks again for the quick response.

Robin
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I personally use it, but manually find the matching tracks and then copy/paste metadata from the context menu.