MediaMonkey Not Responding

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

MediaMonkey Not Responding

Post by Barry4679 »

MMW is going into a non-responsive state fairly frequently. Having to kill it off with the Task manager.
I am on 4.1.0.1692

It happens when I am just browsing. It seems to happen if I am too quick when switching between nodes on the media tree, or switching to a different tab before the current one has finished establishing itself, ie. it is still grabbing the thumbnails from the NAS

It seems to be in a delicate state if the new view opens up with the placeholder musical notation (ie. the art wasn't cached?) ... I can trigger the Not Responding hang by just moving the mouse before all the artwork has been obtained for the page.

Anyone else seeing this?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Re: MediaMonkey Not Responding

Post by Barry4679 »

It only seems to happen if I also have the View|Art&Details widget open.

ie. View|ShowWithDetails open on its own = it doesn't happen
If I also have View|Art&Details (with its Selected tab active) open it happens very often

it is like the thread which is getting the art for the Art&Details control somehow interferes with the getting of the art for the ShowArtWithDetails list.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should capture this in a debug log (step 4b) with the debug version of 1692 and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

OK, I will look into how to do that soon.

You can't replicate?

Just select Show Art With Details, and Art&Details
Activate the Selected tab in Art&Details
Then browse into a few Album Artists who own quite a few albums.
Moving the mouse while the page loads the thumbs, from placeholder to actual art, may increase the frequency upon which it all locks up.

It is almost hard on for me now.

The only other things that I can think of, about the way I am set up, are:
* sort the main panel's view to one of the date fields (eg. Date Last Played)
* I have added a few fields to the the ART&Details view (Choose Fields; I have added BPM & Season#, which I have appropriated for other purposes)

This was all working ok for me up until the recent upgrade (I may have missed one or two prior)
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Barry,

I can't replicate this :-(

fyi, instructions to generate a debug log are here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69

Thanks!

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote:I can't replicate this :-(
OK PM'd you with a dropbox link to the debug file showing an incident.

My environment is:
* Win 7 64 bit
* Intel Xeon CPU W3565

The tracks & art is on a NAS
gigabit switch and cat6 cable

MMW 4.1.0.1692
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: OK PM'd you with a dropbox link to the debug file showing an incident.
I aslo cannot replicate it, could you PM me the link to the debug log file too? Or share the link here?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: I aslo cannot replicate it, could you PM me the link to the debug log file too? Or share the link here?
PM sent
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thank you, I found also crash report sent by you (where I can see on which line it has frozen),
tracked the issue as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11849
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Did you add some fields to the Art&Details display as per the supplementary post I made above?

I have added the following 5 fields; Added, Album, Artist Album, BPM, and Season# (ie. right click Art&Details, Choose Fields ..)

I now see that if I remove these I don't seem to be able to replicate the problem either.

Can you please add this to your Mantis report?

What I am trying to achieve is a workaround to the limitation where there is no facility to choose fields to add rows to the tooltip display in View|ShowArt mode. I therefore have the Art&Details widget showing with some fields added. When I switch from ShowArt to ShowArtWithDetails I get the hanging exposure if I forget to close down Art&Details first.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

No, we were not able to replicate the issue even with the updated steps you provided, could you catch it in video and share a link to the video? e.g. Jing is popular app for capturing videos.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote:No, we were not able to replicate the issue even with the updated steps you provided, could you catch it in video and share a link to the video? e.g. Jing is popular app for capturing videos.
Ok, thanks for looking at these for me.

I have PM'd you links to 3 Jing captures:

1> MediaMonkeyArtAndDetailsBug
Shows steps leading to MMW hanging when changing tabs coming from a tab with Art&Details widget on display (with added fields), and while the tab you are coming from has a view filtered by the column browser.
In that capture I click quickly between nodes on the tab which I moved to. The hang also happens when I click slowly ... it just takes longer.
The only way that I have found to avoid the bug is to close down the Art&Details widget before changing tabs.
At the end of the capture I show details of the PC that I am running on.

2> MediaMonketNotAnIntegerBug
The exception that is caused by moving away from a tab which is in View|ShowArt, and which is sorted by Rating (where there are no Ratings ... so that the cover view matrix is grouped together bin a clump).
Once this exception is triggered it keeps re-occuring until MMW suddenly shuts down.

3> MediaMonkeyTheMostAnnoyingBug
This the most annoying bug IMO.
Sort a couple of nodes in View|ShowArtWithDetails by the Last Played column.
Switch between the nodes, and some of the nodes loose their grouping.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any other details.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks Barry,
I added links to the videos in private notes to the corresponding Mantis issues to look into it:

1> MediaMonkeyArtAndDetailsBug
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11849

2> MediaMonketNotAnIntegerBug
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11354

3> MediaMonkeyTheMostAnnoyingBug
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11929
bjm051593

Post by bjm051593 »

I'm seeing this constantly with 4.1 -- as much as I can tell it happens when I'm doing 1 of 2 things:
1) editing metadata directly in the file list
2) searching - If I start a search, and change that search

Neither happens all the time, just seems after using MM for a few minutes eventually something will lock it up.

Since it seemed database related I tried "Maintain database..." but that didn't change anything. I still have to kill the process a few times every day.

Help...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture this in a debug log (step 4b) as neither happens on the latest beta for me: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341 Send the log to support.