Why does my device copy files to my PC?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Volny

Why does my device copy files to my PC?

Post by Volny »

Hi,

Every time I sync my ipod with my PC, all I want to do is update the ipod with the tracks from my PC, but it first copies about 1500 files from the ipod to the PC ("Copying Device -> PC, xxx of xxxx"). Not only does this dramatically slow down the whole syncing operation, but it seems to overwrite some newer file data (namely, volume leveling) on those files that it copies.

How can I restrict mediamonkey to only copy files from PC to the ipod, and not the other way around?

I thought unchecking "Update file info from Tags when rescanning files" would do it, but it hasn't helped.

Thanks in advance.
Lowlander

Re: Why does my device copy files to my PC?

Post by Lowlander »

Are you using d_iPhone.dll or d_iPod.dll for the Device Profile for the iPod (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync)? Also which version of MediaMonkey are you using?
Volny

Post by Volny »

ipod.dll
MediaMonkey Gold: 4.1.0.1692
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not aware that it can, nor see an option to copy files back to the PC. Are you sure files are copied back (not just the tags)?
Volny

Post by Volny »

I'm not sure what it's copying, but whatever it is, I'd like it to stop. It takes a long time (5-10 minutes). When I want to quickly sync a new album onto my ipod, it's annoying to have to wait 10 minutes for the ipod to first copy 1500 tracks (or tags, or whatever) each time.

EDIT: It's definitely overwriting my volume information. Not sure if that means it's tags, files or both (I'm guessing both?).

For example:

-TrackXYZ has a "track volume" of -8.0db
-I choose "level track volume", after which it has a "track volume" of -0.2 db
-I plug in my ipod and press "sync".
-it says "Copying Device -> PC, xxx of 1345 files"
-Next time I check the library, TrackXYZ has a "track volume" of -8.0db again.

By the way, I've just updated to the latest version 4.1.1.1703, with no change.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There seems to be no setting to disable device to PC tag updates for Apple devices. You could however disable auto-sync and use Send To > Device on selected files to just add an Album or select files to the device.

Does your device have the correct date set? With tag updates the newest change should prevail.
Volny

Post by Volny »

Ok, I seem to have fixed it. I did options\portable devices sync\ipod\configure\options\Reset device options, and that seemed to fix it. I guess some glitch had developed in the ipod settings.

Thanks for the help.