Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

heronheart

Re: Ubuntu.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by heronheart »

Peke wrote:Why settle with only half. I want full blown MM on Linux ;)
So...
Any hope of seeing a beta?

Post by Guest »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Making MediaMonkey work on Linux was the last thing I needed to finally completely move away from Windows. This just made my week.

I just followed the "Quick Start" instructions on the page linked to at http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ediaMonkey and that was all it needed to work. (Mind you only MediaMonky (unskinned).exe runs decently)

I had some serious issues migrating my MM.DB to my linux machine. So for anyone looking for how to do this, here's the steps I finally worked out.
1) Copy MM.DB from its old location to /home/USERNAME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/USERNAME/Application Data/MediaMonkey
2) Open Media Monkey
3) Open "My Computer" in the navigation bar
4) Open the virtual local drive you want your music library to live in or be symbolically linked to (This should get its locations recorded in the MM.DB for step 8 )
5) Open MM.DB using an SQL tool (I used Firefox's SQLite plugin)
6) Open the songs table. Note the value held in the IDMedia field
7) Open the medias table.
8) Copy the SerialNumber and DriveType fields from the drive with Label "UPNP" to the Drive with the ID that matches all your songs IDMedia values.
9) Create a symbolic link from /home/USERNAME/.wine/dosdevices/c: to your music collection folder so that MediaMonkey doesn't notice any differences in the song's paths (Or just move your music collection to /home/USERNAME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/..., but I wouldn't do that).
bone

Post by bone »

anyone got the wifi sync working in wine?
BanzaiXP

openSuSE Leap 42.1 + mediamonkey

Post by BanzaiXP »

Hi *,

I just succeeded in installing the latest MediaMonkey on an openSuSE Leap 42.1 system with wine-1.9.1-529.1.x86_64.

I created a new bottle with these settings:

Windows-Version XP
+ winetricks wsh57
+ winetricks vcrun6sp6
+ winetricks native_oleaut32
-> afterwards we have the follwing packages when running "winetricks list-installed"
- mfc42
- msscript
- msvcirt
- vcrun6sp6
- vcrun6
- wsh56vb
- wsh57
-> plus in winecfg we can see oleauth32.dll listed with a star in front of it

+ MediaMonkey
+ MagicNodes 4.2

- I'd suggest to switch of skinning, because I always get destroyed popup windows, especially with error or warning messages. One can see the title, but no text and no buttons.
- If you see errors regarding OLE, you missed to install one of the above mentioned packages.

With this setup everything runs for me as expected besides configuring MagicNodes, which still gives a VBScript runtime error "Object doesn't support this action" in line 8558 of MagicNode.vbs, but one can import MagicNodes.

Have fun.

Bye.
Michael.
Friedrich

Re: openSuSE Leap 42.1 + mediamonkey

Post by Friedrich »

BanzaiXP wrote: - I'd suggest to switch of skinning, because I always get destroyed popup windows, especially with error or warning messages. One can see the title, but no text and no buttons.
Some non-standard skins seem to behave a little better. For example:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... -monkeyps/
But agree that non-skinned is still the best option.

Squishysdomain's updated how-to in the MM-wiki using playonlinux works well too*:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... shysdomain
I found configuration with playonlinux slightly easier than with winetricks.
And I liked particularly that it offers to make desktop-icons for the skinned AND the non-skinned version.
Best regards
Friedrich
*edit: and adding the MAD-Plugin-dll to the plugin folder for mp3 output

BTW:
Disabling "tooltips" and "mouse gestures" in Extras>options>general improves responsiveness a lot.
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
dip

Post by dip »

I got MM running on Linux Mint 18.1 under PlayOnLinux but my Android phone does not show up as device in MM. It is connected as MTP device and it is shown in Linux as device. Any idea what I have to do that the device isi recognized in MM?
speedykoala

Post by speedykoala »

dip wrote:I got MM running on Linux Mint 18.1 under PlayOnLinux but my Android phone does not show up as device in MM. It is connected as MTP device and it is shown in Linux as device. Any idea what I have to do that the device isi recognized in MM?
Hello there and Happy new year! :-)
I just installed Linux mint cinnamon and found your post : happy for that! I installed it on an external drive though, but it seems to work. I'm on a dual boot and I hav no idea how to share the same library with my windows partition. Any ideas? Thanks! :-)
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Haven't tried it but I believe you would need an 3rd partition or an external drive
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
speedykoala

Post by speedykoala »

dtsig wrote:Haven't tried it but I believe you would need an 3rd partition or an external drive
Merci! I just need to study the question better, because I have a dual boot partition and the library of Mediamonkey is already on an external drive on my Windows partition. So if I use the same external drive for a new library on linux...what will happen? I'm afraid to mess up my lists, etc...
may the space be with you!
snowleopard

Linux

Post by snowleopard »

I am officially leaving windows and that means leaving MM in the dust if there isn't a Linux version coming out. The overhead and bugs in windows are really wearing thin on me and with Kodi and everything else media wise running so much smoother on Linux, Why isn't there a linux version of MM?

It should actually be much simpler to code Linux than Windows software.
namronkire

MediaMonkey for Linux

Post by namronkire »

Hi folks,

I'm a long time Windows and MediaMonkey user. If I had to recall my guess would be I started using MM in 2004. Since then I was always happy and satisfied with MMs performance and abilities, which absolutely stands in contrast to how my feeling for Windows developed. With each year Windows became more annoying, buggy, unusable.

More than once have I tried to switch to Linux as a daily driver. Always coming back because the lack of my beloved MM was harder to bear than the problems I was facing in Windows.

But last week I pulled the plunge and went for it. Goodbye Windows! ATM I'm switching between different media players/libraries, but still I can't find a nearly satisfying substitute for MM.

It is 2017, MM is already on Android (which I also love), Linux desktop is becoming more important and my guess is Windows won't change for the better. So please, MM developers. bring MediaMonkey to Linux. Maybe with a kickstarter?

I really don't want to leave MM behind me.

Hopefully,

Norman
MMFrLife

Re: MediaMonkey for Linux

Post by MMFrLife »

I wouldn't get too worked up for MM on other platforms before the last quarter of '17 or some time in '18 (guessing).
See here.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
MMFrLife

Re: Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by MMFrLife »

See here
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
namronkire

Re: MediaMonkey for Linux

Post by namronkire »

Thanks for the info. That really is some good news.

Knowing MM will finally come to Linux makes coping with sub par alternatives bearable for now.