d_USBMass1.dll gone with [1722]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

phit42

d_USBMass1.dll gone with [1722]

Post by phit42 »

USB device is missing in latest beta build, the dll is not installed.

[Edit by Rusty: The plugin is now available via the addons site: http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... e-plug-in/ ]
MMW 4.1.28.1905 (usually frequently updated so might be newer by now)
MMA Pro 1.3.1.0701 (automatically updated so might be newer)
mcow

Re: d_USBMass1.dll gone with [1722]

Post by mcow »

phit42

Post by phit42 »

Aha okay.
Unfortunately that deletes any setup one has on USB devices (or where used as such) without warning so one cannot export it safely beforehand, and, even worse, WMDM does not seem to pick up as it should: in my case Blackberry link software creates a virtual drive Y: once BB Q10 is connected, and if I understand correctly MMW should see that and offer it via WMDM for syncronisation, only it does not.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What I'm left wondering is how you'd setup sync to a mapped network share or even an internal hard drive as neither would be picked up as sync locations by MediaMonkey, but d_USBMass1.dll allowed to set this up manually?
phit42

Post by phit42 »

Could anyone explain how I would go about keeping (or recreating) my sync's to a usb device after d_USBMass1.dll is gone?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

phit42

Post by phit42 »

Hi,
I was following Ludeks and pekes conversation re d_USBMass1 in their issue list and it made me wonder if sth is wrong with my config in the first place:
  • according to Lowlanders comment, one can configure a new external device in MMW manually for network shares and such using d_USBMass1? How would I go about that as I cannot manually add external devices but only configure devices that are automatically discovered by MMW? Which is often very slow by the way or I have to restart MMW to trigger a discovery of new devices. And network shares are never added.
  • if I read peke correctly, d_USBMass1 interferes with a correct behaviour of d_WMDM. Do you read it that way too? Would that mean that if I install the latest version of MMW and manually install d_USBMass1 as a plugin, it would again cause erratic behaviour of d_WMDM? I am thinking that this interference might be my problem with very slow discovery of new external devices like SD cards.
I currently have d_USBMass1 only configured for my Blackberry Q10, its PC software enables Y: when BB is found. The problematic discovery affects other devices though as well, like sd cards in a card reader (of which I have two in my pc).
Thanx a lot.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) You can choose a drive letter in d_USBMass1.dll
2) I think the interference is that some devices default to it instead of d_WMDM.dll
Peke

Post by Peke »

To clarify things bit more, Problem started when Windows decided to do some updates (couldn't pinpoint exact update) so External media storages started to be detected as MTP and or Removable drives allowing WMDM to detect them (CARDS, Flash Drives and some HDDs) . That was great but as MTP is designed to work with devices that do not have drive letters problem arised when USBMass was configured to I: and paired with Device no SD card will be detected unless that device is connected.

Simply put whenever USBMass is configured it acts like this "Hmmm, new device connected and it is removable drive, but not one I've set to manage. OK tell MMW it is handled." this is simplest explanation. Unlike USBMass WMDM handle multiple devices where USBMass is for single device.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
phit42

Post by phit42 »

Okay, I understand the problem and when I would use one or the other. In my case, in order to save drive letters, I have set up any card readers as mounted onto an empty NTFS directory (via diskmgmt.msc), which should work fine with WMDM then.

The only question remaining for me is about usage: I hope that when I remove USBMass from handling any card readers and such, my problem with WMDM not discovering them and any sd cards in them immediately will be solved. I only leave USBMass for my Blackberry as it is a fixed drive letter, and the BB software takes care of enabling/disabling the drive letter when connected or not.
But removing USBMass seems to be not so easy once USBMass is configured for a device, as the delete button is greyed out. I can only modify its configuration but I want to remove it completely.
In opposite, if I would like to try and add USBMass for a certain network drive letter that I would have newly configured, I cannot do that either as I cannot manually add that new external device, but only modify any listed USBMass configuration (like above-mentioned Blackberry which I obviously don't want to change as it's working).