MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see MediaMonkey for other OS than Windows

You may select 1 option

View results

mgillespie

Re: MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Post by mgillespie »

Guest wrote:This is some BS - I just got a macbook in July - I absolutely hate iTunes
Then don't buy Apple... Your post makes no sense..

There is no reason to buy Apple products, there are better smartphones out there for less money (SGS3, Nexus4, Xperia T to name a few), no reliance on iTunes at all and the freedom to do with your product, what you wish.

As someone that's just discovered Google Music, and it's free music matching and storage, the real losers are those tied to Apple products. I just wish MediaMonkey just drop Apple support, it's clear Apple are making it as hard as possible for developers to try and replace iTunes, and too much of MM developers time is being wasted on this. They should concentrate on making MM as good as possible, not trying to circumvent this weeks Apple's changes to prevent MM working.
Son of Spam

Will There Ever Be A Mediamonkey For Mac?

Post by Son of Spam »

I've recently switched from Windows to Mac. I can't stand iTunes and I'd love to continue my MMGold Licence! That being said, I really miss Mediamonkey's ease of use but it's only developed for Windows-based computers. Will there ever be a Mac version? Or can anyone suggest a (free) alternative to MM that can be used on a Mac?
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Beware The Lollipop Of Mediocrity:
Lick It Once, And You Suck Forever.
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

I like Apple Mac (Yosemite now, slick), and sometimes use my PC too (Win 7, not slick).
don't like iTunes much though. It's slick etc, but forcing me to clear out all music from my iPhone just to get one album from my almost empty iTunes library, really??
My real library is from ripped CDs, and I have the odd thing i bought in iTunes. My real library is managed from Mediamonkey.
If ever I "must" have something quickly I use Amazon and get both the CD and a cloud-version.
Anyhow, I think Mediamonkey would have a place on the Mac for those who don't like the take-it-or-leave-it mentality of music management in iTunes!
Just saying..
lobengular

MM for Mac

Post by lobengular »

I have been asking for this ever since I switched from Windos to apple. The guys at MM never seem to uter a word about a yes or a No. Please let us know something about your stand at least!

I guess you should appreciate the amount of thump ups you are getting here by at least giving us an imaginary stance of what#s in the making or Not.

That skin one does not seem a viable solution so what's up guys? This is as urgent as you can imagine!
felis

Re: MM for Mac

Post by felis »

lobengular wrote:This is as urgent as you can imagine!
Look at how old this topic is. I doubt the MM-team cares.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I don't think it is that they don't care, it's that they don't think it is best to dedicate the resources to developing a Mac version at this time. If you read back through the beginning of this thread, that is what they state. I'm guessing nothing has changed since we haven't seen any signs of a Mac beta.
--
The gpzbc
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is an official response (and it still stands as is): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... c-or-linux
AussieCol

No sound output

Post by AussieCol »

I have been successfully running MM on my Mac by using Parallels 9 desktop. Since the latest update of MM I have lost sound. Has anyone else experienced this and what could be the issue please?
MMFrLife

Re: No sound output

Post by MMFrLife »

Did you check the Options > player > output plugins
to see if it's selected/configured correctly?

Can you play audio files in other programs with sound?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

AussieCol

Post by AussieCol »

Hi, yes all other sounds etc are working fine. I'm not sure which output plugin should be used or how to set it up. Up until the last update it just worked and as a Lifetime Gold Member I have been able to fully enjoy my music and all the benefits of MM. If someone can guide me it would be much appreciated as I'm a "techie-dinasaur". Thanks.
AussieCol

Post by AussieCol »

OK, all working again. Just needed to re-register plug-in. For anyone wishing to run MM in Parallels 9 I can confirm it works well. A bit expensive if you only need MM but I need to run a couple of other Windows programs (I hate iTunes, iPhoto, etc) then it's a no-brainer. Cheers.
on board

Post by on board »

I just switched to an IMAC. I like everything about it so far, with the exception of handling my vast audio collection. Itunes obviously sucks, but has anyone successfully found a good media player for audio files that plays FLAC, and allows you to retain your album and folder structure?

I wish I could continue to use my Gold license.
ggguueest

Post by ggguueest »

Try Clementine, works for me.
Morgenstern72

Why I do not want MM on a Mac

Post by Morgenstern72 »

This is not a hate posting and I do not intend to start a flame war. Please consider the facts I am posting.

I do not want MM on Macs. This is because of one simple reason: it would burn to many developing hours for a small group of people and really hurt the reputation of Media Monkey as the best music organizer.

Let me explain this in more detail: I work as an administrator and Senior Systems Engineer at a medical research institute. I work with all kind of hardware, applications and OS.
I dig into quite complicated matters of virtualiziation, backup of Petabytes of data, Fibre Channel, Infiniband and so on, but also support users on a daily base since we are only three IT guys doing everything (including High Performance Computing) for 150 scientists. All this explanation needs to be to understand that I do not shy away from technology and different OS (I use Windows, Linux and Android). But there is one group of users that constantly give us much more work than all others: Mac and IOS users.

The reason is, that while Microsoft manages to build operation systems that are still good after 12 years, with applications from XP still often compatible in Windows 10 and problems taken serious and resolved on a schedule. Apple handles it different: they change basics like CPU architecture and operating systems completely as also change the way things work like they think it's good. Which breaks connection to our windows server and mail server on a regular base and generates problems with syncing and many applications. While MS focus is on delivering a most compatible experience for as many users over a long time (with drawbacks like limited innovation spirit) Apple focus is on innovation culminating in doing things like they want and selling it to their user as better, even if it's much worse then before (see "evolution" of itunes and how they limit it every new generation or the reduction of connectors on their computers). This is not ranting and flaming, this is hands on experience with 100 users working with windows and 50 with Macs and iPhones. They constantly have problems after updates. And many start to use Windows on their Macs.

So please do not develop a MM version for Macs. This would cost so much developing power for every new OSX and iOS that it would either degrade the overall development or even break the company. Just look at the many sync problems you have with different iOS. No or much less problems with XP-Win 10 and different Android versions when I compare the bug tracker.

To put is simple: Macs are great if you stay inside Apples ecosystem and can accept that Apple makes decisions for you of how and what to use on their hardware. That's their spirit: it's their hardware, not yours, and they know how to use it best, not you. If you can accept that than you will have have an almost flawless experience of easiness and great design. Just don't dig deeper like Windows people like to do sometimes.

If you want flexibility, customization and long term compatibility then use Windows. Use it even on Apple hardware if you like their design. They just made Bootcamp compatible to Windows 10 since many customers do want the best of both worlds. But please do not ask companies to deliver the same apps in the same quality for Macs as for Windows. That may work for bigger companies like Adobe (even Adobe has much more Mac related bugs than Windows related ones), but not for small companies. You will kill either the product or the complete company or are left at some point with an unusable app (wither on older or new systems).

Thank you for taking this posting serious and not in a way of harassing or flaming. I dol not want to start a discussion and so will not spam this thread with reactions to your reactions. I just ask you to please make an informed decision of what you want and then take the consequence of either quite limited easiness and great design or a little more complicated way of freedom of choice and more rough edges.