Localization Status and request for translation help

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

rusty

Localization Status and request for translation help

Post by rusty »

Just wanted to provide a brief update re. localization--the next version of MediaMonkey will be localizable! In actual fact, Jiri has already localized it to Czech for testing purposes (as you'll see in the next alpha).

In addition to Czech, it would be nice if it could be tranlated to at least the following languages:
French (Highelf confirmed, Felix & Octopod confirmed as reviewers)
Italian (arg0 volunteered)
German (zyb confirmed, Highelf-confirmed as reviewer)
Spanish (Baja confirmed, Pablo confirmed)
Dutch (Felix confirmed, Lowlander confirmed as reviewer)
Serbian (Peke confirmed)
Portuguese (Paulino confirmed)
Swedish (Mersault confirmed)

To those who have previously volunteered, can you confirm that you are indeed interested in doing this? Also, if you are willing to tranlate to these or any other languages, please let me know.

Note: A full description of what's involved in localization will be posted separately, but if you want a rough idea of how much time is involved, it took Jiri approximately 6-8 hours to translate MediaMonkey to Czech.

-Rusty
Last edited by rusty on Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:11 am, edited 8 times in total.
zyb

Post by zyb »

6 to 8 hours I can spare easily - so I'm still willing to do the German localization. :)

Cheers, zyb
Lowlander

Check translation

Post by Lowlander »

I can check the Dutch one, once it's translated.

Unfortunately I can't offer my help in translation as I've never used non-english versions of programs and as such I'm not familiar with the lingo.
rusty

German localization

Post by rusty »

Zyb,

Can you send me an e-mail so that I can contact you (since you're logged in as guest, I don't have an e-mail address).

thx.

Rusty
Highelf

French/German

Post by Highelf »

Hi,
if french is still free, I could help. I can also "re-read" german as I am french+german :)
mfg,
Ju
Peke

Post by Peke »

Serbian OK.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Highelf

getting stared: where is the zip ?

Post by Highelf »

Hi,
in the "translation instruction" it's written:
1) Download the mm-local.zip file from: TDB.
Unfortunatly, I can't figure out, what TDB stands for. If someone could help me in finding the mm-local.zip, I would be grateful.
thnx,
Ju
Felix Atagong

Post by Felix Atagong »

Count me in for Dutch - French is an option.
Felix Atagong
http://atagong.com
Peke

Post by Peke »

TDB Should be TBD or To Be Done later. As for now localization string is still in dev. phase need something to finish before a release ;)

Rusty?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rusty

What I meant by "Download the mm-local.zip file from: T

Post by rusty »

First of all, just a brief thanks to everyone who has volunteered (I've updated the language translation status in the sticky note at the top of this forum). From some of the questions, and as Peke pointed out, I wasn't exactly clear on what the timing is for when localization can begin.

Here goes:
-Right now, internal alpha builds _are_ localizable.
-At this stage, MM alphas are still unstable and strings are still changing a fair bit
-We hope to have a more stable alpha later in January, which could possibly be used by translators for localization purposes
-There will still be string changes between the first alpha and later 2.2 pre-release builds (i.e. translated strings will still have to be updated).

So, to summarize, I haven't yet placed the mm.local.zip file online because I figured it would be more useful once:
a) the strings were a bit more stable
b) a sufficiently stable alpha was available with which translated strings could be tested

If some of you prefer, I'd certainly be willing to post the mm-local.zip file sooner, so that you can play with it and even begin translation work (and update the message catalog later on once strings have been added/modified/removed). I just figured you'd rather wait... Let me know if you prefer otherwise.

-Rusty
Highelf

Post by Highelf »

Hi,

I would actually prefer to start soon, as I have almost nothing to do at the moment. Maybe it's different in 2 weeks, so if I can translate everything this week, at least I would have had a big part done.
Of course if you say 90% is still gonna change, then I'll prefer to wait, but if its more 30% gonna change, then I'll prefer to start right now :)
bye,
ju from Munich
zyb

Post by zyb »

Actually I'd prefer to translate a relatively complete version, so the later the better - so you, Highelf, have to specify if you want to do the translation proper (you could start that any time) or to _review_ my translation as you said before (you'd have to wait for that until I have done my work, of course). I don't mind sharing the work, but would like to be clear on what part I'm supposed to do - and I don't think it makes much sense to have the translation work split in two and the reviewing work split in two, also.

Drop me a Personal Message for further planning if you like. :)

Cheers from Bochum, Zyb
Highelf

Post by Highelf »

First I wrote a pm, but couldn't send:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: from() in /home/songs-db/public_html/forum/privmsg.php on line 1312
so i write it quick here:
It's ok for me to wait for the re-reading of the finished german version. But for my translation into french, I'd like to start soon, as I have less to do at the moment.
bye,
Ju
zyb

Post by zyb »

Oh, allright, I missed that about the French version somehow - nevermind, then!

Your PM got to me perfectly fine - twice over. ;)
Felix Atagong

Post by Felix Atagong »

I prefer a more or less 'stable' version, but you can count on me whenever that will be posted!
Felix Atagong
http://atagong.com