Adding new playlist on mma screws up all the playlists

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

terryo

Adding new playlist on mma screws up all the playlists

Post by terryo »

There are two bug reports for this. The first is E9APM0NVQP. It was sent after I created a new playlist called 0 - 1008 while adding a song to it. The song was not added but the playlist was created. The playlist I created was empty.

I added the song again and 6000+ songs appeared on the playlist. I listened to a few more tunes, then brought the screen back from blank. There were now 12,268 tunes on the list and I had done nothing but bring the screen to life. At this point my playlists were apparently undisturbed, though I did not check in detail.

I listened to a couple more tunes, then went to look at the playlists. About ten of my playlists disappeared from the playlist screen as I watched.

I immediately sent debug log 6PFNMDAKS5.

This happened last week, though I observed it in less detail. This was before MediaMonkey updated earlier this week. Last week I had created a new playlist and added 6 songs to it, never bothering to check anything. When I checked later that day, all my playlists had disappeared and there were 65,000+ songs on the single playlist I had created. A sync corrected everything and the new playlist disappeared.

I also noticed last week that I could only see my playlists for whichever folder had been most recently synced, the card or the internal. After this weeks update, all the playlists show up regardless of the folder.

I have added playlists on the phone in the past and used them without any problems. Something is wacked now.
Peke

Re: Adding new playlist on mma screws up all the playlists

Post by Peke »

Can you create Support ticket also so taht we can track it in more details?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Terryo,

Can I assume that you're using the MMW 4.1.9.1782 or higher and MMA 1.1.3.480 ?

Also, what device / android version ?

(note: earlier in the beta cycle there _was_ a bug that resulted in playlists getting lost in certain cases, but that was fixed in updates to both MMA and MMW. Details at: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12846 )

-Rusty
terryo

Post by terryo »

Ooops, my bad:

mmw 4.1.9.1754
mma 1.1.3.0480
terryo

Post by terryo »

And a Note 3
Android 5.0
Kernel 3.4.0-4335446
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

rusty wrote:Can I assume that you're using the MMW 4.1.9.1782 or higher ... ?
Rusty I'm guessing that's a typo?

The beta forum latest is MediaMonkey 4.1.9.1764 RC

Do you mean MMW 4.1.8.1782 or higher? That's one up from the current official release 4.1.8.1781.
MMW 4.1.9.1764|MMA 1.1.3.0482|Android 5.0|Win 8.1 64 bit
rusty

Post by rusty »

No--that's not a typo. The latest MMA betas should be used with the latest MMW betas.

-Rusty

p.s. the latest MMW beta is going to be released imminently

EDIT: the version that I typo _was_ incorrect--the latest MMW is 4.1.9.1764 (and the latest MMA is 1.1.3.482). Evidently I'm have trouble multitasking ;-)
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

rusty wrote:No--that's not a typo. The latest MMA betas should be used with the latest MMW betas.

-Rusty

p.s. the latest MMW beta is going to be released imminently
OK. I'm lost but I shouldn't bother you with more questions bcos I don't have any problems.

I just don't see how you can "assume that terryo's using the MMW 4.1.9.1782 or higher" when the latest MMW beta is 4.1.9.1764. Where could he have got "1782 or higher" from? :-?

Don't worry about it. Maybe someone else can shed some light, you're way too busy.

Rusty, you're a star. Years of expertly and very graciously handling all our bugs and complaints and requests etc etc. Thank you very much.
MMW 4.1.9.1764|MMA 1.1.3.0482|Android 5.0|Win 8.1 64 bit
terryo

Post by terryo »

Interesting discussion on versions.

I download whatever mm prompts me to download. If the mma and mmw gets out of sync, I don't have a clue. In fact, until recently I had no idea I'm running betas.

The last time I was told my betas were outta sync, I had the same problem I do now, Finding the betas on the mm website is a bitch.

If I was a newbie, I'd assume 4.1.6 is the current stable version because there's big f**king box on the home page highlighting that "MediaMonkey for Windows 4.1.6 released!" And the "news" page which trumpets, "MediaMonkey for Windows 4.1.6 released! (March 3rd, 2015)". If I was a newbie, I'd be lost. Some might even assume the software is mature because the last update was six months ago (or the product is frozen because the company is failing).

I'm a DJ at a radio station who loves the power of mm.. It fundamentally changed and vastly enhanced my ability to do adventurous radio programming on the fly. I wasn't really aiming to join a coders club continually tinkering with software, but I can't thrive without the functionality of mm, so I'll do whatever I have to.

Sounds like whenever an update is pushed out of mm, I have to check the mate version of the mmw-mma pair and hunt the latest corresponding beta down.

If I can find it on the website.
Terry O'
terryo

Post by terryo »

Expanded info:
I had 5 playlists on the internal 'phone' memory. I had 13 playlist on the card memory. I don't know where mma stores the file when you create a playlist on the Note 3.

The playlists that disappeared just before I sent debug log 6PFNMDAKS5, were all 13 on the card. All 5 on the phone memory still appear in mma.

All the missing tracks appear in the phone created playlist, but they cannot be played. Only the tracks contained in the 5 playlists on the internal memory can be played.

I just resynced the card to try and get some functionality back. It took forever, even after spiking explorer.exe. And it didn't work.

The created playlist is gone but the 13 playlists that should have appeared on the card did not appear. mmw spooled out pages of error messages saying files couldn't be copied during the sync. (sorry I don't have a debug mmw version loaded at the moment).

I'll try another sync, but I'm basically hamstrung.
Terry O'

There are two bug reports for this. The first is E9APM0NVQP. It was sent after I created a new playlist called 0 - 1008 while adding a song to it. The song was not added but the playlist was created. The playlist I created was empty.

I added the song again and 6000+ songs appeared on the playlist. I listened to a few more tunes, then brought the screen back from blank. There were now 12,268 tunes on the list and I had done nothing but bring the screen to life. At this point my playlists were apparently undisturbed, though I did not check in detail.

I listened to a couple more tunes, then went to look at the playlists. About ten of my playlists disappeared from the playlist screen as I watched.

I immediately sent debug log 6PFNMDAKS5.

This happened last week, though I observed it in less detail. This was before MediaMonkey updated earlier this week. Last week I had created a new playlist and added 6 songs to it, never bothering to check anything. When I checked later that day, all my playlists had disappeared and there were 65,000+ songs on the single playlist I had created. A sync corrected everything and the new playlist disappeared.

I also noticed last week that I could only see my playlists for whichever folder had been most recently synced, the card or the internal. After this weeks update, all the playlists show up regardless of the folder.

I have added playlists on the phone in the past and used them without any problems. Something is wacked now.
terryo

Post by terryo »

The next morning, 12 hours after the sync I mentioned as failing in the previous post, I opened mma, the busy circle reappeared and my other 13 playlists popped in one by one.

I've never had mma take that long to parse and show the changes caused by a sync operation.
rusty

Post by rusty »

First of all, sorry for the confusion re. the versions. You've figured it out by now, but we're currently at MMW 4.1.9.1764 (released) / MMA 1.1.3.482. Re. why the latest build doesn't always appear in the news, it's mainly because we don't bother updating news for all minor releases, though perhaps we should.

As far as the bug, it sounds as if the last set of issues were due to a delay in MMA getting updated from the Android Media Store (the Android service that scans for and maintains a DB of new content on the device). That may be a bug, though I'm still curious as to whether it occurs with the current builds (if I understood you correctly, the bugs occurred with MMW 1754 / MMA 480).

Thanks!

-Rusty
terryo

Post by terryo »

>> Rusty wrote:
>> First of all, sorry for the confusion re. the versions. You've figured it out by now, but we're currently at MMW 4.1.9.1764 (released) / MMA 1.1.3.482. Re. why the latest build doesn't always appear in the news, it's mainly because we don't bother updating news for all minor releases, though perhaps we should.

>> As far as the bug, it sounds as if the last set of issues were due to a delay in MMA getting updated from the Android Media Store

I had not figured out the latest version is mma 482. It was posted on Oct 3rd several days after I started this thread. I first received the notice to update this morning, Oct 8. I am loading it now. I just posted another bug report in a separate thread for 480, perhaps that bug will disappear too.

It would be nice when we are notified to update mma or mmw, if we received an accompanying note telling us which version of the corresponding mma, mmw pair we should have or telling us to be sure we have version xxx on the corresponding platform.
rusty

Post by rusty »

It would be nice when we are notified to update mma or mmw, if we received an accompanying note telling us which version of the corresponding mma, mmw pair we should have or telling us to be sure we have version xxx on the corresponding platform.
Google Play notifies users of updates posted to the Store, but it's not an immediate notification/update. We could add notification functionality to both betas, but you can achieve something similar by subscribing to the MMA Beta and MMW Beta announcement threads in the forum (by clicking the 'subscribe topic' button that appears at the bottom of those respective threads). That way, each time we announce a new build, you'll be notified.

-Rusty