Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

terrypin

Re: Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Post by terrypin »

Thanks trixmoto. I gave up and re-installed as a single user (the only script for which I've had to do that) and the error no longer occurs.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Beckanator

Backup & Restore

Post by Beckanator »

Well, forgive me being a MM Newbie. I hope this thread would be where to ask my question. After you've backed up with MM 6.0, how do you restore it using the script? What are the steps? I think I understand some of the confusion expressed here. I tried running the restore script from after loading windows and MM and get a VBS error message. Not sure how to proceed. Thanks in advance for any help!

I just cleaned off my old standby Vaio and reinstalled the OS as it was nearly grinding to a halt (Windows 7). My library is 163,377 files, 1024.7 gigs, running on an external drive. Needless to say, MM is handling it much better than iTunes, but I'm still learning something new everyday with MM.
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

First .. just to set thing somewhat straight it is Backup 6.0 .. not mmw. Most all of the 'addons' are contributed scripts from users and are not part of mmw.
When I have had to restore .. i right-click the file. One of the options should be to use MS Script engine (or similar). Select that option and it should run without fault.
If there is an error you should include the text of the error with the report.

And no worries .. we are all newbies at some point :)
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Beckanator

Post by Beckanator »

dtsig wrote:First .. just to set thing somewhat straight it is Backup 6.0 .. not mmw. Most all of the 'addons' are contributed scripts from users and are not part of mmw.
When I have had to restore .. i right-click the file. One of the options should be to use MS Script engine (or similar). Select that option and it should run without fault.
If there is an error you should include the text of the error with the report.

And no worries .. we are all newbies at some point :)
Gotcha on the 6.0 and the contributed scripts. Very awesome. I was able to get it going with your help. I just wasn't sure how to start the script. Thanks a bunch!
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Glad you got it working.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Beckanator

Post by Beckanator »

:D
lordbear

Documentation? (Moving playlists)

Post by lordbear »

I've used MM since 3.0. I've used Trixmoto's Backup (and other scripts) for a long time too. I'm not aware of there being a User Guide, FAQ, Wiki or other documentation. Have I missed something?

Trixmoto has been mostly excellent at providing support for this awesome script. However, he's less responsive these days (probably quite busy) and wouldn't it be great if there was a place that collected the most common information that new (and forgetful) users could go?

My number one wish; break down the Settings options.

For example, despite being a lifelong techie and 17-year IT veteran I still don't grasp what the 3rd from the last Setting's dropdown options will do. Since there's no Doc file installed, and no mouse hover text bubble, I have to guess...

Code: Select all

Include [ExportM3Us | Mod:Nested | Mod:Relative ] export (save all playlists as M3U Files)
So, I'm going to try each setting, do a backup, look at the output and see what I can discover.
All of THIS so that I can figure out why the Backup on PC-A and Restore on PC-B didn't seem to work, but especially not moving the playlists.
*sigh*
orbit111

Post by orbit111 »

I just wanted to post some help for those who are having trouble restoring to your new MM install.

If it were not for me being an network engineer I would have never figured out how to make this work!
-In windows 10 or 7 search for Power Shell from the start menu.
-Right click the Power Shell app and select 'Run As Administrator'
-At the command prompt type: cd <Location of MM backup files> Example: (cd C:\users\user1\desktop\media monkey backup\)
-Next type .\Restore

This should get you past the VB script error
terrypin

How to restore from backup?

Post by terrypin »

Could someone remind me how to restore from my Backup 6 backup please?

I opened MM and noticed that its playlist tree no longer included the most recent playlist I've been working with. (Easy to spot because it's at the top.) So I assume a recent crash or glitch has caused this as a side effect. (I've had two today, probably not MM related). I've no idea what version of my DB and playlists is currently in use. I backup automatically every time I close, and get a message telling me it was successful, and that a restore script has been created. But where is it and how do I run it?
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

trixmoto, just wanted to thank you again for this great script. My server died but in the long run (after getting bits started) all i had to do is install mmw then run the restore script. Couple of days old but can't blame that on you <G> ..

Thanks for saving all my work ..
David
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Is there a link to the instructions for installing the dotnetzip? New computer .. install dotnetzip using their msi but it looks like backup doesn't see it

Also i think they might have changed the name ...

EDITED: it is found in the notice of 6.0 here

Is not working ..
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Let me see if I can get through this without having to post an image, as I'm unable to do that right now.

Problem:
I currently have Backup set to auto backup at shutdown and it works brilliantly.
However, I'm trying to get it to only leave a certain number of backups at any given time, 2, but I can't get it to work;
even after setting parameters for it.

Here's how my settings are:
Key: There are 11 long fields at the top of settings dialog (all but one has a label first and then a check box).
There are 13 settings at the bottom (all begin with checkboxes and 5 of them have short fields associated, one with an in-statement checkbox).

I have 1-5 and 8 checked in the top checkboxes
I have 1 and 12 checked in the bottom checkboxes

In addition to these, I've tried checking Delete old backup - keep|2| - output path

But whenever I do this, it doesn't work and I get an error message.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Anyone have any thoughts on my post here .. a couple posts up.
Or does anyone have the older install of the dotnet zip dll?
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Does anyone ever use the "Delete old backups - Keep |?| output path" setting?
Does it actually work?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜

Post by Guest »

Does anyone have a link to this?