Album Art - FLAC files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kwil

Album Art - FLAC files

Post by kwil »

Hi...
I'm running Media Monkey Gold on Windows 7 64-bit.
I've a number of FLAC files (some converted via MMG) and want to show Album Art in my new portable Hi-Fi Audio Player - the ONN X6
Gives superb sound and handles MP3 and FLAC files.
It plays off micro SD cards though it does have onboard memory too...but I choose to leave this alone and only use the SD cards.
Now: I always embed Album Art in MP3's (ripped always to 320kbps) and the X6 shows the art with no problem in its display window when a track is playing.
Here's what's happening:
I open the FLAC file/track in MM. Then 'Add Image' (jpg)of the track's source album - it shows fine in bottom right of MM screen. I get the image from wherever I can on the web. Never caused any problems with MP3's etc
I then copy the track to SD card (I'm using NEW 32GB cards, by the way)
The track plays fine in the X6 but shows only Artist + Track Name (my choice) but NO Album Art.
So, it would appear MM is not embedding the image with the copied FLAC file and so doesn't show in the X6. Maybe an encoder issue?
I've checked with the retailer and they say it should show the Album Art in both MP3 & FLAC files.

If you're a music nut like me, you'll know SD cards can carry lots of MP3's and it's so nice when you hear a track you're not sure of to glance at your player and see the info and art...
Ah, it's that track from XYZ!...God, I'd forgotten about that one!...Well, you know that scene, don't you, fellow music enthusiasts?

At anyrate, I'd appreciate any advice on how I can get the Album Art on my player...or any thoughts at all on this topic

Perhaps someone else has an X6 with the same problem?

Many thanks
Lowlander

Re: Album Art - FLAC files

Post by Lowlander »

Hover with mouse over the Artwork in the Properties > Artwork tab and the tooltip will show if the Artwork is embedded.

Did you ask if embedded Artwork is supported for FLAC files? Maybe they only support external Art.
kwil

Post by kwil »

Hi Lowlander...many thanks for taking time to reply.
You say hover cursor over Properties > Artwork tab....Where is that?...Once I've added the image, hovering over it at bottom right, only option I have there is 'List/Edit/Copy'
Can't see any way there of establishing if art is embedded. Can you explain a little bit more?

When I enquired about the Album Art/flac problem they were helpful but couldn't give me any other info other than it definitely should show on the X6. As for 'external Art'...well, as I said I just normally get it from anywhere I can. I;ve never actually used 'Auto-Tag from Web'...

Over to you or anyone else....

Many thanks
kwil

Post by kwil »

Hi again...
Just conducted a little experiment with a FLAC file I've previously added Art to (from wherever on the web) in MM to test the X6.
I removed this image, then used 'Auto-Tag' to replace it. Showed fine in bottom corner as before.
Copied track to SD, played on the X6...
However, again the art isn't showing, only display is track info as I've mentioned before...GRRR!

Just remembered where the Artwork info etc is and how to view it:
Right-click on image > Edit Artwork Properties > Artwork tab > only info there is Cover (front) which I believe is correct.
Can't see any reference even in Details tab about whether image is actually embedded....Only Encoder reference...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

kwil wrote:Right-click on image > Edit Artwork Properties > Artwork tab > only info there is Cover (front) which I believe is correct.
There you hover over the image to see (in tooltip) if it's embedded or external (image file).

This really should be done on the FLAC file on the SD card as that's what you're having trouble with.
kwil

Post by kwil »

Hi Lowlander....
Thanks for the clarification.
Hovering revealed image's Resolution and the info: 'Stored In Tag'.
So I guess that means the art's 'embedded''?
If so, then it should show in the X6...but still no joy :(
Plays beautifully tho'!!

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Try to use smaller Image or different type/format.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's likely a limitation of the receiver. It may not read embedded Art or it may not read above a certain size.
kwil

Post by kwil »

Hi...thanks Peke & Lowlander for continued input.
Never thought of image size being the problem but worth a try.
As for receiver not reading embedded art: well, it reads MP3's embedded art with no problem as I've already said so I don't think that's the snag.
Nevertheless, I'm not sure how to reduce the size of the image showing in Media Monkey's bottom right corner whether I use 'Auto-Tag' or not to import it.
Can you advise?

Many thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The fact that it reads embedded Art for MP3 doesn't mean it supports it for FLAC.

MediaMonkey can't resize images. So you either need to find a smaller image or resize the images yourself (and then embed it).
kwil

Post by kwil »

Hi Lowlander...
I forgot I've software that can resize images, since I've rarely had need to use it.
Anyhow, I HALVED the size of the image I'd been using for the FLAC files and tried the ONN X6 again. No joy.
So, even though I've experimented with the same track in MP3 and FLAC form and used the same image for both, then halving it, only the MP3 shows in the player's display window
I can only conclude, then, despite what I'd been told, the X6 can only display MP3 art and not FLAC, even though both use the same image showing in Media Monkey.
However, if anyone else knows the technical reason why this is so, I'd still like to hear it!

Also if anyone knows of a player that CAN show both, please let me know!

Not the end of the world but so disappointing since the X6 is otherwise excellent:roll:

Thanks anyway for all your time...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd suggest re-contacting their support to see if they do support embedded FLAC art. If they have technical details on what exactly is supported you should pass it on to MediaMonkey support.

As FLAC uses a different tagging standard from MP3 it isn't totally unexpected that embedded Artwork is supported in one and not the other.
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

Rather than open a new thread on the same issue, I'd like to revisit this.

I've recently re-discovered that my Yamaha RX-V775 will play lossless FLAC files in addition to MP3. Since finding a corrupted MP3 for a multi-disc limited edition set, I re-ripped it to FLAC, played marvelously in the AVR. Started ripping CDs that I'd overlooked in FLAC, uploading to Google Play Music, and playing on the AVR. I rip at 48 kHz sampling rate, #4 compression level, 16 bit word length. The AVR has no issue with file size, some tracks are up to 150Mb in size (extended length pieces) and the AVR loads and start playing within 10 seconds.

I've generally embedded images in my MP3s, cover art up to but not exceeding 600x600px (usually JPG). Restoring music from the iPod to a new NAS using the MMG Rename/move function a couple of years ago, something duplicated embedded artwork to include links to a subfolder (maybe MM, maybe app). I've been cleaning these up a bit. Something created images for each track, which is annoying.

Here's the issue: Google Play doesn't seem to recognize the cover art embedded in teh FLAC files. The Yamaha AVR (granted, an older model; 2012? 2013?) doesn't either. All else is fine, I'd presume it's their implementation of FLAC support.

Does anyone know of a practical issue to images in FLAC vs. MP3? Should my cover art images be smaller in resolution? File size? Are FLAC file tags to an external image more reliable than embedded in the file? I'd rather not switch to both, but I can. :}

TIA…
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd check with the documentation as to what is supported regarding embedded Artwork.

MediaMonkey can extract Artwork on sync to file (thus leaving originals intact with embedded Artwork) or you can use the following Addon to extract Artwork: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... art+tagger
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

I can extract, no problem. This is the first that I'm using FLAC files and wondering what practical limits other users have encountered in utilizing FLACs.Wikipedia and other references don't seem to refer to any practical limit on imbedded images. :-\

I have found that when I convert the files to MP3 for upload to Google Play Music (works much faster than uploading the FLACs for them to review server-side), they support the resulting artwork tags. They were not supporting the art with the FLACs, and in fact usually did NOT match albums (i.e. offered only my uploaded album, not replacing it with version they had in their catalog, which is ideal).

So far I'm finding that 600x600 images => problems. 500x500 images, fewer problems. Pity, I kind of liked the 600x600 standard on my iPod classic and other repositories with MP3s.
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.