Auto-playlist 20 most recently added albums

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chemacky

Auto-playlist 20 most recently added albums

Post by chemacky »

Hi,

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but here seemed like the most general fit.

Firstly I want to desperately stress that I do NOT want an auto-playlist that collects music from x number of days since it was added.

An inherent property of my music listening is that I add very infrequently and at no set time and date. I may add something to my library and listen to that day, or months later. An auto-playlist that generates its content based on a set time period is useless to me.

Magic nodes has a default node that does exactly what I want - "Last 20 -> 20 Recently added albums". This is perfect when I'm listening on my PC, but this is not always the case. I also use MM for android, and would love to be able to sync either simply just this magic node, or an auto-playlist version of it. Bonus points for being able to choose a different number than 20, but I can certainly live with it if required.

I have found an extension called 'export/create playlists for child nodes' that I thought would do the job, but where it falls down is in the auto part. I can export the albums from here as playlists, but they are static and do not update without me manually exporting them again. I like they way they look in MM though, as its a parent playlist called 20 recently added albums, and then a child playlist for each album. Would love it if I could repeat this in the MM for android app.

Can anyone help? I've done boot loads of googling, and can't seem to solve this problem. It seems so trivial and that a program with as much power/useability/customisation as mediamonkey should be able to perform this relatively simple task! What am I missing?!

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Auto-playlist 20 most recently added albums

Post by Lowlander »

There is no option to limit to x Albums in AutoPlaylists. You can sort on Added, but the limit is the issue.

Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes can auto-export.

Are Magic Nodes not available as syncable object (I know they're available for DLNA sharing)?
chemacky

Post by chemacky »

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
Lowlander wrote: Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes can auto-export.
Yes, I did see this option, however as far as I can tell you can only auto-export from the playlists section, rather than the node. This would mean it's auto-exporting a static playlist as far as I can tell? If I have misunderstood this, please set me straight, but I could not seem to get it to do what I'm hoping for.
Lowlander wrote: Are Magic Nodes not available as syncable object (I know they're available for DLNA sharing)?
They are not unfortunately. It would be awesome if they were, as magic nodes is such a powerful tool. Even if it was built into the MM android app as an advanced mode or something... I mean they run fine on my PC and my phone has equivalent or higher in terms of Ghz of processing speed and gb of RAM.

Is there seriously no way to make this happen? Even in the app if I could sort albums by date added, that would achieve what I'm after. Is this such an uneeded/wanted feature?

Please tell me someone has managed to do this?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you set it to export AutoPlaylists they'll be exported as static Playlists. However it will call the AutoPlaylist on export so in that sense the content will be updated.
chemacky

Post by chemacky »

I have tried, and unless I'm doing it wrong, this script can't quite achieve what I want. I think I understand what you're saying, but I think that the problem is that I don't have an auto-playlist. I can export the magic node to the playlist node as a static playlist (which never changes as I import new music into my collection), the script then has an option to choose to auto-export that static playlist, which means I get an auto-export of the same playlist (just with a different name if I have set up auto-renaming) as far as I can tell.

Please tell my I'm wrong though, as I'm happy for it to auto-export a new playlist each time.

In the meantime I have solved the problem in that I just had to find a music player on android that support view by date added in its album tab. Rocket player was the best solution I could find in terms of functionality and prettiness.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Actually, you can sync a Magic Node like a playlist. There's a few caveats to it though. You need to create a new Magic Node (or modify a current one) so that it's a "Child of: Playlist". This will create a "Node/Playlist" in your playlist tree. The biggest drawback to this is that it essentially creates you a static playlist of your files matching the criteria at the time of creation -- until you select the "Node/Playlist" and choose "Refresh Magic Playlist" in the Magic Nodes option under the Edit menu. This function then, well... refreshes the playlist. You would just need to remember to do this refresh before each sync.

Does that make sense?