Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

bkenobi69

MMA suddenly lost external SD card

Post by bkenobi69 »

MMA Pro 1.1.3.0554
Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V)
Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) - Rooted

I've been running MMA on the GS5 for a couple months now and initially had an issue where I couldn't sync via WiFi to the external SD card. This is an issue with the Android OS and I've modified the /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml file as required.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... e/View/163

This was working ok until last night. I've been adjusting my sync settings on MMW to include the correct subset of my library and the correct auto-conversion settings. I just got it working to my desired settings I think but then I synced one last time to verify that everything was still functioning as desired. Well, this time MMA will only attempt to sync the internal storage. I looked at settings and the external card is missing from the options menu. I still have the external card on MMW but MMA doesn't try to sync anymore.

I tried rebooting both the MMW system and the GS5 without success. I cleared cache and data (resetting all settings essentially) without success. I uninstalled MMA and reinstalled it without success.

The data is still on the card as I see all the music where it was synced to (both in a file viewer and within MMA) and I can play the content through MMA. I just can't sync anymore via WiFi.

I can open an issue, but I don't really understand the cause of the problem so I don't yet know if this will be helpful. Has anyone else seen this? What did you do to fix it?
bkenobi69

Re: MMA suddenly lost external SD card

Post by bkenobi69 »

I can't say that I've fixed the problem, but I think I'm closer. I deleted all data/cache from both MMA and MMA Pro. I then deleted the files in the /Mediamonkey/ path on both the internal and external card (required moving the external card to a Windows machine as something was locking the content). When I restarted MMA, sync let me pick the external card again. At this point, it's sitting there not syncing but I assume it's just thinking prior to giving me a display of what's going on. I should run the debug version of MMW to verify I suppose.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This sounds very similar to http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13301 I observed when upgrading to latest developer builds.

Please confirm if issue didn't return?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

In the past 2 months, I have experienced a similar issue but the resolution is fairly simple. For no reason at all (seemingly), MMA loses the entire library. If I back out to the main screen and go to any menu, the library is empty and gives a prompt to select a library location. I killed MMA (Lollipop task manager pane, close all) and started again. Still no library present. I am able to select the SD card, navigate to the music folder, and reselect the content which does load in MMA. While this is a nuisance, the real issue is that I lose ratings until the next sync. I typically listen to 4+ star ratings so this is kind of a drag. It also seems to happen at inopportune times (just starting down the on-ramp for a long trip.

The only thing I can think of is that the SD card is from my last phone. I could replace it (I have one ready to go), but if there is another solution I'd like to know about it.
Desmarch

Post by Desmarch »

I have the same issue.
It started when I upgraded to Androïd 6.0.
I can indeed rebuild the library very easily but it is a pain the...
Any solution would be appreciated.
BTW, the sdcard is brand new.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you insert SDCard from other phone it should be detected as that phone.

When moving existing SD card to another device it is advisable to RENAME or DELETE MediaMonkey folder on SDCard and reset Sync Profile.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I replaced the SD card with a new one after the last incident. The new card has not been an issue in any way until recently. I can't say that the card is the problem or something else, but when my phone gets low on battery the SD sometimes disappears. It generally reappears soon or after a full charge so I can only assume this is some kind of crazy power saving technique.

Either way, I had the card disappear the other day and today the library is gone (first time I launched MMA since low battery SD loss). I attempted my workaround listed above but it does not help. I assume the issue is related to the SD card being "removed" rather than something in MMA, but that doesn't really help this situation. I have confirmed that all files in the MediaMonkey directory are present and appear valid. All thumbnails and database files seem available but MMA won't pick them up. Is there some other way to force MMA to look for these files again since they are present?