Playlist Folders?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sloot

Playlist Folders?

Post by sloot »

I'm coming from iTunes, where I have many complicated playlists.
On iTunes, playlist folders can be used to join together many playlists inside the folder.
In media monkey, if I create an autoplaylist inside another playlist, the songs in the inner are not available in the outer.

Is there functionality I'm not seeing, or am I using the wrong feature for what I want?

example

Code: Select all

+ UsualListeningFolder
  + SmartPlayList1
  + SmartPlayList2
I expected that UsualListeningFolder could be played, and it would include everything in SmartPlayList1 and SmartPlayList2
Lowlander

Re: Playlist Folders?

Post by Lowlander »

No, MediaMonkey doesn't have parent Playlists inherit child Playlists. However AutoPlaylists can inherit from other Playlists (any) using the Playlist criteria.
sloot

Post by sloot »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking the workaround would be.
Is it a feature request that been rejected?
sloot

Post by sloot »

that's weird! I can make UsualListeningList a smart list, and have Child Smart Lists

Code: Select all

+ UsualListeningSmartList
  + SmartPlayList1
  + SmartPlayList2
The definition for UsualListeningSmartList is that the playlist is SmartPlayList1 or SmartPlayList2. A little twisted, but lets me replicate iTunes functionality.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

sloot wrote:that's weird! I can make UsualListeningList a smart list, and have Child Smart Lists
Yes, that's what I said. And as that's available it isn't automatic allowing to use Playlists for folder structure without any files loading in them or to have an AutoPlaylist gather tracks from Playlists that aren't its child Playlists.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Sorry if I am just being thick, but I can't figure out how to even create nested playlists (or folders of playlists) in the first place. The online help doesn't seem to mention it.
Currently I have a horribly unwieldly list of around 100 playlists in MediaMonkey, how do I organise them into folders?
feline1

Post by feline1 »

In my playlist list, I do have one expandable entry ("Imported playlists") - I can click this top level one and there's 100 or so more playlists in there from iTunes!
But I didn't make that myself, MMW did it at installation time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Drag & Drop Playlists on top of another to nest them, or right click on an existing Playlist and create a new one to create a nested Playlist.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Ah right, thanks :)

It's a bit of a nuisance that it doesn't seem to let me select multiple items in the Playlist tree at once, and drag-and-drop them all to lie under the new 'folder' playlist I made, but I got it to work doing it one by one...

Now I just need to see if the nesting structure is maintained on my Device (Sony Walkman) when I sync! :wink:
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Bah, the playlists are stubbornly turning up in the same flat monolithic list on my Sony Walkman (ZX100), despite now being nested in the MediaMonkey tree.

Any suggestions as to what to put in the Device > Options > Playlists settings to make it do this?
I have "Destination directory" set to "\Playlists\" and surprise surprise, it is indeed just putting them all in there, no further folder structure. Do I then need to add some angle-bracketed flags after that to make it nest?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Nested only works on device with MediaMonkey for Android.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Oh! That kinda sucks :(